Austria, Switzerland, France into Italy (1 Viewer)

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

I know some of this subject has been covered before but it always seems overly complicated, but can we try and answer the following questions that will hopefully be able to be viewed in the future to help others disseminate the best way to travel to Italy.

Austria

1/. Is it possible/practicable in a reasonably sized motorhome to pass through Austria on (A or B) roads and if it is would you still need to purchase anything, Vignette/go box etc.

2/. Do the same rules apply to vehicles under 3500kg

3/. Do the same rules apply to vehicles over 3500kg

4/. If its possible can someone suggest a route avoiding making any payments

5/. If its not possible what do we need to purchase if we are under 3500kg and approximately how much would it cost to just transit Austria into Italy staying just one night.

6/. If its not possible what do we need to purchase if we are over 3500kg and approximatly how much would it cost to just transit Austria into Italy staying just one night.

Switzerland

1/. Is it possible/practicable reasonably sized motorhome to pass through Switzerland on (A or B) roads and if it is would you still need to purchase anything, Vignette/go box etc.

5/. If its not possible what do we need to purchase if we are under 3500kg and approximately how much would it cost to just transit Austria into Italy staying just one night.

6/. If its not possible what do we need to purchase if we are over 3500kg and approximately how much would it cost to just transit Austria into Italy staying just one night.

France

1/. Cost of Mont Blanc Tunnel each way over 3500kg

2/. Cost of Mont Blanc Tunnel each way under 3500kg

If there is any other questions that I have missed please add to list, hopefully we can answer all of the questions and it will become a useful guide to anyone wanting to travel to Italy.

allie sommerville

Free Member
Dec 30, 2009
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
conversion
Exp
I can only answer for Switzerland really, but the cost of the vignette was well worth it.
All the extra fuel (and time) going non-motorway makes it a real bargain! We tried to get into there from Italy non-motorway, but came unstuck at the border!

OP
OP
B

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

From a quick look on Autoroute, Switzerland does look like it could be a problem crossing without touching a motorway/toll type road, that's assuming that Autoroute is correct in identifying motorways/toll roads in green in Switzerland, as it does in France.

However Austria doesn't look quite so bad, albeit I have never traveled by road in Austria, I'm only looking at it from an Autoroute map.

Any suggestions would be welcome

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi only know about Switzerland

All vehicles over 3500kg must pay HGV tax for everyday they are in Switzerland, irrespective of whether they are on the road or not. You get the form and pay at the border.

Olley

OP
OP
B

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

I know some of this subject has been covered before but it always seems overly complicated, but can we try and answer the following questions that will hopefully be able to be viewed in the future to help others disseminate the best way to travel to Italy.

Austria

1/. Is it possible/practicable in a reasonably sized motorhome to pass through Austria on (A or B) roads and if it is would you still need to purchase anything, Vignette/go box etc. Part answer:- All motor vehicles using Austrian motorways and expressways are subject to toll payment, so it appears if you can find a route through Austria without using either of those types of road you won't have to buy a Vignette/go box.

However still need to identify if it is possible/practicable in a reasonably sized motorhome to pass through Austria without using motorways and expressways, can anyone suggest a route

6/. If its not possible what do we need to purchase if we are over 3500kg and approximatly how much would it cost to just transit Austria into Italy staying just one night.Answer:- Need to purchase a Go Box and pay per Km plus the cost of the Go Box and additional costs for certain roads and Euro emmissions from your vehicle, details here Link Removed

Switzerland

1/. Is it possible/practicable reasonably sized motorhome to pass through Switzerland on (A or B) roads and if it is would you still need to purchase anything, Vignette/go box etc.

6/. If its not possible what do we need to purchase if we are over 3500kg and approximately how much would it cost to just transit Austria into Italy staying just one night.

France

1/. Cost of Mont Blanc Tunnel each way over 3500kg

2/. Cost of Mont Blanc Tunnel each way under 3500kg

If there is any other questions that I have missed please add to list, hopefully we can answer all of the questions and it will become a useful guide to anyone wanting to travel to Italy.

cronkle

Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
shropshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since1995
Vignette prices for vehicles under 3,500 kgs:

Switzerland: 40chf valid during year of purchase

Austria: 7.90€ for 10 days

More details of the Austrain charges
Link Removed

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
Austrian Go Box website

Found this website regarding the Austrian Go Box, it has a retailer locator etc

Link Removed

Robinhood

Free Member
Mar 7, 2010
Sherwood Forest
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20 years
Expanding further
Austria

1/. Is it possible/practicable in a reasonably sized motorhome to pass through Austria on (A or B) roads and if it is would you still need to purchase anything, Vignette/go box etc.

All motor vehicles using Austrian motorways and expressways are subject to toll payment. It certainly was possible to cross Austria via certain routes avoiding such roads and toll-free - I strongly suspect it may still be. Given what follows about tolls I would probably not bother trying if my 'van were up to 3500kg - above that I would be sorely tempted.

Also, many of the other roads have 3.5t limits applied, which appear to close off options. Recently, on another forum I have read (and it appears to have some authentication) that a 3.5t limit sign is absolute, whereas a 3.5t limit sign with a lorry on the sign would not apply to motorhomes above that limit. Worth remembering if trying to bypass tollroads.

Up to 3500kg (incl) a vignette is required for all Austrian motorways and expressways. All details can be found at www.vignette.at (enter English as the 'sprache' on the home page). They are easy to buy at the border, petrol stations or post offices, and it will cost a minimum of EUR 7.90 for a 10 day ticket - the shortest duration available. (so maybe require one both ways)

Above 3500kg, things are more complicated, and considerably more expensive. A Go Box is required. The box will cost EUR 5, and a minimum of EUR 75 credit MUST also be purchased with the box. Credit is reduced automatically by overhead gantries, and is based on a per km rate, but that rate depends on emissions category, number of axles etc. As a rule of thumb, expect around 5km per euro for a EuroIII twin axle motorhome, maybe 5.5km for a EuroIV

I have read about people getting refunds for unused credit, but I'll leave that for someone else to comment on.

I have done this (around 5/6 years ago) over the Fernpass from Fussen in Germany, down the non-motorway roads and through central Innsbruck, and the up the OLD Brenner Pass road (not the motorway). This has the extra advantage of avoiding the Brenner Motorway toll which is additional to any Go Box or Vignette cost.

I can't vouch for it still being a viable route, but I have seen write-ups of it being used much more recently, and my Tom-Tom gives me that route if I avoid motorways.

See Above

6/. If its not possible what do we need to purchase if we are over 3500kg and approximatly how much would it cost to just transit Austria into Italy staying just one night.

See above - main info on these tolls is also available on www.vignette.at, but more info on the Go-Box itself at Link Removed

Switzerland

It is possible, but I wouldn't say it is desirable (having taken the back roads through Geneva some years ago I wouldn't repeat it myself). Most of the major transit routes are now motorway standard.

For motorway use the following extracted text seems to sum it up nicely

The Swiss motorway vignettes are valid for multiple re-entries into Switzerland. The vignette is valid between 1st December of the previous year and 31st January of the following year (printed on the vignette). If taking a trailer or a caravan, you will need to purchase an extra vignette. The vignette is required for vehicles up to a total weight of 3,5 t ; if the total weight exceeds 3,5 t, the heavy goods vehicle tax has to be paid instead.

A Vignette is also required for a trailer/caravan up to 3500kg

The vignette currently costs 40 CHF and can be bought at the border, or in advance via the web (various agencies - just google).

For these vehicles, a heavy goods vehicle tax needs to be paid for every day the vehicle is in Switzerland, you cannot enter without it - so don't try an unmanned border crossing or out-of-hours.

We found this a relatively easy transaction at the border/customs office, and credit card was taken. You will need your V5, and have to fill in simple paperwork saying how long you will be in Switzerland, and then pay the appropriate charge, and they give you a copy of the paperwork.

My data is possibly a year out of date - I can't find the current rates on the web, and have had to pull the form from the 'van. It was:

Per Day - CHF 3.25 but there is a minimum charge of CHF 25.00).
Per Month - CHF 58.50
Per Year - CHF 650.00

A further heavy vehicle tax is payable for any trailer/caravan over 3500kg (or a vignette for one under).
There is also a 10 day permit available at CHF 32.50 which allows you to select the days (in advance of entering) that you will be in Switzerland on an individual basis (i.e. non-contiguous use). Useful if your going through and returning with more than 10 days between. It's valid for a year.

4/. If its possible can someone suggest a route avoiding making any payments​

See Above

5/. If its not possible what do we need to purchase if we are under 3500kg and approximately how much would it cost to just transit Austria into Italy staying just one night.​

See Above

6/. If its not possible what do we need to purchase if we are over 3500kg and approximately how much would it cost to just transit Austria into Italy staying just one night.​

See Above

France

1/. Cost of Mont Blanc Tunnel each way over 3500kg​

I've got bored now, the above came mainly from experience and I've never used the tunnel, so someone else can google it :Eeek:

Oh go on then, it was easy Link Removed

2/. Cost of Mont Blanc Tunnel each way under 3500kg​

See above

If there is any other questions that I have missed please add to list, hopefully we can answer all of the questions and it will become a useful guide to anyone wanting to travel to Italy.​

Last edited:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
From a quick look on Autoroute, Switzerland does look like it could be a problem crossing without touching a motorway/toll type road......
Not totally impossible.
As with any country you can avoid using the Autoroutes though you would find yourself touring around a bit rather than A to B motoring, but the upside to that is you get to see the country rather than just pass through it......and Switzerland is certainly worth seeing. Also, unlike here all the roads in Switzerland are in top notch condition....no pot holes, humps 'n bumps, or crap shoddy surfaces.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back