AUSTRIA Grossglockner High Alpine Pass (1 Viewer)

Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
Hi,
Some advise please, hubby wants to drive over this pass early mid June - I am terrified, is it safe in Motorhome 7mtr long? He is a good driver having driven HGV,
He also wants to go via
Germany and do some of the Romantic Road then to Austria.
Plus dog of course

Exactly what paperwork do we need and where do we get it from. Van is 3.5 t an A frame Burstner. Does anyone have a good route and stops perhaps.

Thank you

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Hi, went down through to Austria last year. We stayed Near Zell am See and took a trip up the pass on an organised coach tour. There was a trained guide on the trip so we had a very informative trip. Doing it yourself you will miss a few things as you will be concentrating on the road! We were there in September. There were Motorhomes on the pass and it's not really a problem. We used the A roads in and out so didn't need a Go box, as our van is 4.5tonnes. It's a lovely part of Europe and we made a mistake of buying fuel in Germany, it was considerably cheaper in Austria. PM me if you want details of our route.

Sep 6, 2009
shropshire
Funster No
MH
Intergratedq
Exp
since 2003
Hi. You will not have any problems over the pass great road gentle climb which does go on for a long time. Allow plenty of time so that you can stop for photos and take In the wonderful views. You are not allowed to stay on the pass at night.
Have a great trip.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
tinkerbell
Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
Thanks for advice all.
A route there would be very useful please also any good stops, I have ACSI card.
Do I need a vignette?
Thank you

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Yeah at 3.5 tonne just buy a vignette can be bought in service stations before you get to the Austrian border. At 5 tonne and tag axle Austria is mega expensive for us as we need a GoBox.

OP
OP
tinkerbell
Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
Anyone know how much a vingette is, do you buy in uk or before Austrian border, how long does it last?Thank you

Meadowman

Free Member
Jul 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
You can buy the vignette at most fuel stations before the boarder, for a ten day pass it was less than 10 euros.

I drove the Grossglockner last September, the scenery was amazing,only tainted by the smell of burning brake pads as I tried to descend from the summit.
image.jpg

There are plenty of lay-bys to cool the brakes and get some photos.
Enjoy the trip
Regards
Ian

OP
OP
tinkerbell
Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
We love mountains and lakes, so will give this a try this year.

Thanks to all

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 19

JackS

Free Member
Feb 2, 2016
chatteris
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
6 years
Easy and very scenic. Only charged for private vehicle and not truck 1 as I expected. We stayed at Neunbrunnen North of the pass on our way to Italy. Ensure that you choose a clear day to reap the benefit, we waited an extra day for cloud to clear- well worth it. If you are under 3.5 then vignette. If over, as we are, then stay clear of motorways; it is possible with some planning.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Grossglockner is a wonderful road. its where many motor manufacturers test their new cars. We were up there a few years ago and kept seeing small SUVs with the camouflage panels and paint on them that we later discovered were the prototype LR Evoque.

It is reasonably easy to get there without using Austrias Motorways so possible to avoid the ridiculous go box.

OP
OP
tinkerbell
Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
Hi,
Just seen your reply, sorry late in replying, death in family.
We hope to be going in a while, so roads should be quite clear, if you have a route used that would be helpful.
Thanks again

Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
One tip I have read to help cool the brakes on decent, is to remove the wheel covers, allowing more air to reach the brakes.
Hope this helps.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back