Aussie newbies travelling in UK & Europe

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Waz, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Waz

Waz Read Only Funster

Hi Folks

Thanks for allowing me to join your friendly and informative forum. My wife and I are planning to leave Australia at the end of 2012 and spend about 6 months travelling UK and Europe by campervan. We are pretty much tied to the Dec to June period.

We have some ideas on how we think we would like to do it, but we're prepared to change plans after listening to your advice. We are experienced campers having both roughed it and caravanned in Oz for many years. We also tented through Italy and France in 2008.

Our plan is to buy a used camper in England and then head straight to Spain before working our way north until May, then finish with a few weeks in the UK. We only need a basic camper, because we think a big unit would be too restrictive with narrow streets and country lanes. I've been looking at things like the Toyota Granvia or VW T25 or similar. Ideally with a cooker, fridge, toilet and side awning. Our budget is around the 10,000 pound mark.

Any advice on problems with an Aussie buying in the UK also welcome. We have friends and family with UK addresses if that helps the process.

Regards & thanks again

Waz & Vicki

2. JJ

JJ Funster

Welcome to the Fun you two...

Enjoy...

And in your planning do not dismiss Portugal... a superb country to motorhome in...

JJ :Cool:

3. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

Hi
    And thank YOU--for joining us:thumb::thumb::thumb:
    You seem to have your trip pretty well organised already:BigGrin::BigGrin:
    There is a market for campers in London---where Aussies & Kiwis buy and sell------------------trouble is we are out of touch and the market keeps moving, no idea where it is now :Sad:----can't think of the old mag the aussies use for info.----but you could try WWW.londonaussie
    -----you should find the present market location there.
    We agree with your plan, get a van (your friends address should help) then get South as quick as you can.
    There is an insurance you can use (WE CAN'T) we think its called 'aliens'-----for breakdown ins ADAC would suit you well we think.
    Do you already know of 'aires' in Europe (not in England-of course:cry:)
    The (free)website ---WWW.campingcar-infos.com----will help no-end finding stopping places,very often free.
    Keep us up with your plans.
    Where in WA are you at----we lived there for 7 years:BigGrin:
    Nigel & Pamala----Lakenheath------Ex Beacon WA

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  4. Sundowners

X2---------Our favourite in Europe

Nigel & Pamala

5. Waz

Waz Read Only Funster

Cheers folks. We have lived in Karratha for over 20 years. Appreciate your advice.

Waz

6. Gunner29

Gunner29 Read Only Funster

ACSI

Get an ACSI Card from www.VicariousBooks.co.uk. This will give you good reductions on sites in the winter season. The Aires book and various other travel books are available on line from them and will be of great help to you. Good luck on your travels and have May and June in UK as so much to see there also:thumb:

7. Helga

Helga Read Only Funster

How exciting

We have just purchased a Hymer as we wanted a bigger motorhome and so we are reluctantly selling our beloved VW camper van. I shall get my husband to privately email you. Lady Marmalade is our pride and joy but with a new grandchild and ageing bones it was time to upsize.

[​IMG]

Helga

8. buttons

buttons Funster

That's a remote part of Oz looks like real croc dundee and sheep country, have you always lived up there.

9. Waz

Waz Read Only Funster

Hi. Yes is is an isolated part of the world, but not like it used to be. Up until the 1960s is was only sheep farming but now provides a huge part of Australia's income through natural resources. Iron ore, solar salt and oil and gas. The sheep have been replaced by cattle due to lower wool prices and never ending problems with dingos. Only the occasional croc here though, they start a little further north.

• Like Like x 1
  10. kaybee

kaybee Funster

:welcome:to MHF. Enjoy your trip. Pretty new to this so no advice I'm afraid
    Kath

11. The wizened of OZ

The wizened of OZ Funster

Hello from a fellow Oz.

We are doing the same as you and are due to go home in Feb. The only insurance I could get was with Downunder Insurance. They are a bit expensive but they will insure you with an Oz or an international licence.

Have fun:BigGrin:

12. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

G'day and welcome to the fun. A couple of points, the insurance can be difficult so the "downunder" suggestion is a good one. Secondly buying in London has problems regarding the Low Emissions Zone (LEZ), older vans will not comply so the prices may well be higher as newer vans will be involved unless you go to petrol? Just a thought but why not tie up dates with wizened of oz and take their van off them when the time comes. That would do everyone a favour. Depending on price of course. You don't seem to want to spend much time in the UK, have you seen is or expect it to be small enough to see in a couple of weeks because I can assure you it is not. Anyway enjoy the planning and the trip.

13. Waz

Waz Read Only Funster

Thanks Wiz, I will look at Downunder.

14. Waz

Waz Read Only Funster

Hi Roger. Thanks for the great tips. At the end of the trip we plan to leave the vehicle in England and return later for a comprehensive tour of the UK. We have relatives in your neck of the woods near Honiton, and hope to leave it there for them to use as well.
    Cheers

15. buttons

buttons Funster

Sounds like a great place to live, I'll check it out with Google, we only ever hear about the big towns on the south and east coast, Perth the only exception. I doubt many here could put a pin in the countries capital.
    Have a great trip.:thumb:

16. Sundowners

Hi
    if I remember correctly (a long time ago) the road from the main North/South road was rough dirt road, corrugated and loads ot pot-holes:Sad::Sad:------I bet it has been bitumen for years now:Eeek:
    We were in Port Headland in the mid 70's---------SOOOOO much space :thumb::thumb:-------We were driving an old Land Rover only air con was through the front flaps:Sad:
    Makes me home-sick thinking about WA:cry:
    Nigel & Pamala