Free Member
Dec 19, 2012
Tasmania
Funster No
MH
Hobbyvan AKA Jinks
Exp
April 2012
I'm just about to pay up for my Hobby GS 50 and will be collecting it on 17th April to take off for a year or so in Europe. Down Under Insurance has been the only insurance company that i've been able to find that will insure non UK license holder/non UK resident. The premium is over 1000 quid!!!! Does anyone know of another UK insurance company who does insurance for us colonials. I mean A THOUSAND QUID.....Jesus!!!!!!

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
my cousin had the same problem. She was over here for 3 months , borrowed a car from us on the understanding that she insured it. Same as you - megga bucks but she found that Swinton Insurance would insure her at a reasonable price so she went with them.
0800 072918
she did have a uk address that she was staying at , don't know if this makes a difference?
Alternativly , how about trying an Aussie company to insure you for europe?

OP
OP
ponyboy

ponyboy

Free Member
Dec 19, 2012
Tasmania
Funster No
MH
Hobbyvan AKA Jinks
Exp
April 2012
On ya Jaygee

Thanks Jaygee - I'll give them a bell today

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
Aussie Licence

This is typical of insurance companies if you hold an Australian or US driving licence. You will find many will not cover you at all. The reason behind this is due to personal injury and claims legislation in both countries as the insurance holder can make claims against the Insurance Company using their countries legislation. Consequently insurers shy away from offering cover. You may need to check with brokers to see what competitive quotes they can offer. Added to this if you want to drive for any length of time in Europe outside of UK you will find an increase in premium. Shop around as I'm sure you will do better than a grand!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi PB and welcome:thumb: try Adrian Flux sorry I am on phone so cannot give you a number but someone will in the near future or google them :winky:
Terry

OP
OP
ponyboy

ponyboy

Free Member
Dec 19, 2012
Tasmania
Funster No
MH
Hobbyvan AKA Jinks
Exp
April 2012
swinton and adrian flux won't insure Aussies...

I guess what i really need to know is if there is another company other than Down Under insurance who will insure Aussies cos the local UK companies are sure as hell not interested....ANYONE KNOW OF SUCH A BEAST?

OP
OP
ponyboy

ponyboy

Free Member
Dec 19, 2012
Tasmania
Funster No
MH
Hobbyvan AKA Jinks
Exp
April 2012
no dice with either adrian flux or swinton guys

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I can only tell you of my experience; when I came over I drove on my NSW licence for 18 months (yes I know you are supposed to trade it in after 6). I had a problem with Directline and Churchcill only cause they would not recognize my N C B from the N R M A.

I'm insured with Cornish Mutual with my car (but that's no good for you you have to have your house on as well and live in the south west) And with the Caravan Club for the M/H

Why not try them? It'll cost you 40 odd quid to join C C but you reap the benifits thro cheaper rates when you stay on sites, Insurance, and Recovery

'av a go bluey they can't deport yu:winky:

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
Aussie insurance

That is a blow. I know that insurers have had high indemnity claims from both the Us and Australia and that is why most insurers won't offer cover. I thought a broker may come up with something, however, there are more brokers about so you could take pot luck. Perhaps there are Funsters that can give you a heads up. Otherwise it looks like you will have a long distance call to Aus. Have you tried on line searches? I do hope you can get something sorted. If I hear anything I will let you know

Mathilde

Free Member
Jun 7, 2011
Australia
Funster No
MH
Peugeot auto sleeper
Exp
since 2010
Aussie looking for Inusrance

I have same problem. Have owned motorhome for 3 yrs, storing in the Uk and using just 3 months per year. Downunder are the only ones who will insure with an Aust. driver's licence. Did you come up with anyything better?? My premium is also over 1000 pounds/yr.

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
I think the answer is to complete a UK exchange for your licence. We have an agreement with Australia to do this. Once you have a UK licence your premium should drop right down

mquinn27

Free Member
Mar 17, 2013
Australia
Funster No
MH
Kentucky Estro 2
Exp
I'm a newbie
Insurance

Mate we arrived two months ago in a similar situation and after a lot of chasing around
we ended up with Scenic Insurance ( tel 0845 0131624 )
We paid £740. this gives us for cover 185 days outside the UK in a 12 month period.
Ours is a left hand drive vehicle, this added £100 to the premium.
Price includes AA breakdown service in the UK and EU. Excess is £200.
We got a letter from the NRMA in Oz to confirm our no claims bonus which gave us a 30% reduction here.

G4OGE

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
Northwich,Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Don't have one yet
Exp
Caravanning 30+ years
Yuor own company

Won't your own company cover you like we have to when visiting Europe just pay a bit more they at least know you and how you drive etc.

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
in 2010 i sold my old Mercedes to an Aussie guy same problem getting insurance

in the end he used my UK address other wise he could not insure the thing
it was a night mare to arrange

we are so lucky as when we go to Oz we have no hassle
UK insurance is a shambles and a rip off

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I dont think £1000 is that bad .

Thats £2:75 a day for the hole year

And you dont have to hide anything they know all the details

If you use another address and then have to claim it will be void.

Just pay up and enjoy yourself. You only live once.

Have a nice trip.

Mel

The wizened of OZ

Free Member
Jan 20, 2012
Brisbane Australia
Funster No
MH
C Class Bailey 745 SE
Exp
Newbie to U.K. Extensive in Oz.
Insurance

I tried nearly every insurance company in the UK and US. Downunder were cheaper than the US expats insurance ( the only other insurance company that would insure Aussies in the EU ). Yesterday I renewed my insurance with Downunder for another year and would love to pay just 1000 pounds. Sorry but you have no alternative than to use Downunder. If you find another please let me know. Hope all ends well.:cry:

Mathilde

Free Member
Jun 7, 2011
Australia
Funster No
MH
Peugeot auto sleeper
Exp
since 2010

no dice with either adrian flux or swinton guys

I have the same problem, Aussie with a camper van stored in England, used just 3 months per year. Downunder Insurance over 1000 pounds insurance.. Have you had any luck elsewhere??
thanks
Mathilde

Mathilde

Free Member
Jun 7, 2011
Australia
Funster No
MH
Peugeot auto sleeper
Exp
since 2010

Tried Sheila's Wheels but need to be a resident of the UK. Any other suggestions?

Mathilde

Free Member
Jun 7, 2011
Australia
Funster No
MH
Peugeot auto sleeper
Exp
since 2010
Aussie Insurance

Why have you not gone for a licence exchange ? You can then get a UK licence and then insurance

Requirement is to be a permanent resident of the UK and to exchange & hand in current Aust. licence. I don't want to lose my Aussie licence and also i presume if claiming, insurance company would not cover due to false info on the permanent residency.

Last edited:

kiwicamper

Free Member
Jun 8, 2009
christchurch NZ
Funster No
MH
fully intergrated
Exp
since 2000
Why have you not gone for a licence exchange ? You can then get a UK licence and then insurance

Unfortunately if you don't have a permanent residence in UK, even a UK licence does not qualify you for insurance in most cases.
Falsifing details such as using a relatives address can cause your insurance to be void ,in case of a claim.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I know the OP is now touring, or not as the case may be. What people are overlooking is that by virtue of having no UK address you are fulltiming and all fulltimers insurance if declared as such is around that price, so no discrimination on anything but situation.

OZeRV

Free Member
Jul 22, 2014
Cobram, 3644, Victoria, AUSTRALIA
Funster No
MH
Aust bus conv., UK C
Exp
Since 1995
Old thread, same problem. I would like to buy LHD in UK for annual visits to UK / Europe and store in UK when returning to Australia or elsewhere. I have emailed multiple UK insurers giving our profile including heavy articulated drivers licence (myself) and heavy rigid licence (my UK born wife), 20 years of motorhome ownership in Australia and 3 years motorhome ownership in USA, maximum no claim insurance bonus etc and have not even had the courtesy of a reply to my emails. I am currently in Australia so may have to try the phone around.

I am reluctant to buy in UK and then be forced to pay a very high insurance premium. Are there any insurance brokers listening?

Queenzlander

Free Member
Apr 14, 2013
goldcoast australia
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Hi OZeRV,
Just noticed your post. re INSURANCE.
To all Aussies, Kiwi's etc without a UK drivers licence. DO NOT insure with DOWNUNDER they are a rip off and do not honour claims. There are brokers that will insure, but before I give you the one we insured with, in 2014 and in 2015, a rant...
We 'colonials' with the Queen as our head of state, and on our currency. Their flag, on ours. Came to their aid in two World Wars.
Fed them and clothed them. Drive on the same side of the road, know what miles, yards and feet are. Even speak the same language. But we apparently should not to be insured. But Polish or Romanians ARE able to get insurance, WTF. .... Shoe on the other foot, Poms have no trouble getting insurance in Aus with their British licence.
Rant over..
After many ignored emails, we found someone who would listen and had a bit of common sense. But first, to make things easy a UK address will help. This is to determine the premium only. Even a false address. But make sure all correspondence is to your Email address only. We also had an option for monthly payments, but you may need a British bank account.
The person that helped us is
Eleanor Moore,
email eleanor.moore@cc-insure.com
phone 0161 406 4800
C&C Insurance Brokers Ltd.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread