Aus to UK need motorhome (1 Viewer)

G

glory_angel21

Deleted User
Hi

A friend and I will be travelling to the UK to pick up a motorhome and then wish to travel Europe for 1-3 months.

Alot of people have said that buying a motorhome is a cost effective and fun way to travel and many mention a street you can go to and buy and sell motorhomes that a number of travellers use. Does anyone know where this street is or any other good places to pick up a motorhome cheaper.

We would be looking to buy and sell back, or if its cheap even rent from someone.
Any advice would be great
Thanks

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Fraid im not sure of the street you refer to but renting motorhomes in the UK is not a cheap option!! :cry:

I would suggest you find out about insurance here in the UK and Europe as i belive it is very difficult (and expensive!!!) for non UK nationals to obtain vehicle insurance, you will also need a full time address in the UK to register the vehicle and use as your mailing address for the insurance etc. :Sad:

Tread very carefully before you commit and make some very serious enquiries about insurance expecially as you intend on touring out of the UK.:Eeek:

Good luck with it though

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi,
as dazzer has already said, its damn near impossible for a foreign tourist to get insurance in the uk.

yes, you do need a UK address to register the m/h and for the insurance.

may be worth emailing a few insurance co's to see where you stand if you have a UK address (not a hotel ect but a private address) maybe a family member or a friend,s address would do.

it would be very expensive as you would not have any UK no claim discount which can amount to 70% discount after 4 to 5 years.

so much easier in Oz.......my bro in law just rang his insurance, gave my details and that was it. use of his car.:thumb:
same with my sis in law in spain...one phonecall....done.

tried to do the same here for him.......no chance!:Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Strine vw !!

the street is either by the side of or behind the australian embassy in london, if you get in touch with them they will probably tell you more, some friends of mine from coober peedy (excuse spelling) got a VW from there and resold it on their return. :thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

glory_angel21

Deleted User
Thanks for the advice. One of the travellers is actually already in the uk, he has a passport and an addy etc there so shouldnt be to hard to insure under his name, i may be a bit extra to insure though.

Thanks for the info on the street buying looks to be a good option, long as we can pick up one that runs ok! it's a while off before the trip but what motorhome etc are known to be pretty reliable?

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
There are some places that cater specifically for Oz and Kiwis coming to the UK but read their buy back terms carefully as they seem to give a big hit on the buy back prices from what I have seen.

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Here's a good source of cheap campervans in London:

Link Removed

another site for hire and sale of VWs:

Coolcampervans - Budget campervan hire and sales in the UK - What to see and do when visiting the UK

long list of campervan places - some good some not so good but a place to start:

Motorhomes & Motor Caravans London - 020

another possible site like Gumtree:
Preloved | 1979 vw camper van for sale in London, UK

and finally:
Link Removed

Do your own research - I have no particular knowledge of these companies
:Smile:
Keith

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun