Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
I have posted this in the Motorhome Chat section but it may be more appropriate here.

I purchased a 'Cheapo Chinese' sat nav for £36.00 and it is brilliant. The only glitch is that the speed alerts are in a language that sounds like Russian or Polish. The directions are all okay (I've set it to a nice ladies voice). It works as a camera alert though but I could not find out WHY it did this.

Ha! After some months of internet trawling and satnav forum bashing I have finally found the answer myself so I thought that I'd update y'all.

We are planning out first trip to the continent in October so I thought that I'd see about loading the French Aires POIs. I connected the Sat Nav (cheapo Chinese) to my computer and had a look at the files contained therein.

I found a file called audio so I took a look inside and voila! (Note the subtle use of French) The file contains all the warning messages and they are listed by warning title. I scrolled down and found one called 'mobile speed camera' and played the file. Bingo! It was the voice and one of the messages we hear frequently on the A9. We do not have permanent cameras (yet), they are all mobile in the Highlands. We also hear another message when we are further south and this turned out to be...'fixed speed camera'. Mystery solved.

Oh how well I shall sleep at night now that I know why it does this 'Russian' voice! :)

I think that to sort it all I need to do is replace the audio file I have with an audio file that speaks English. So if anyone out there can oblige by sending me a copy of their English audio file I'd be very appreciative.

BTW I would add that this 'cheapo' unit at just £36.00 inc p&p has been brilliant value for money. It uses IgoPrimo mapping and has been utterly reliable and accurate. Why would you pay 10 times the price?

Cheers

KH

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Could you record your own? You could do it in Scottish then "Slow down Jimmy! The Poliss are round the next bend". That sort of thing. :)

And of course the first syllable of Poliss rhymes with "pole".

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi KH sounds like you know a lot more about them than me so I cannot suggest anything but I am pretty certain mine simply dings and says slow down you are speeding -drives me bloody nuts ;):LOL:
terry

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
My Clarion stereo runs IGO Primo, away for the weekend I need to back up the SD card before we go away next week so I'll have a look at the files.
Send me a PM on Tuesday to remind me.

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
I love my snoopy,love telling him to shut up!! When I go the wrong way:crying:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
So now you know which file to save to the PC then delete from the SatNav before going to France. Or is it already compliant with French law in not having speed camera alerts for that country?

OP
OP
Photo4x4

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
So now you know which file to save to the PC then delete from the SatNav before going to France. Or is it already compliant with French law in not having speed camera alerts for that country?
Ah! I didn't know that, I have no idea if it has speed alerts for France.

I've just spent £70.00 on spare bulbs, breath test kits and warning triangles and I don't suppose anyone will ever check. :rolleyes:

KH

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I did a quick Google of "IGO Primo audio files" and there were a number of links to places where it looked as if you could download the audio files, but they were places you had to register so I didn't bother. But I did see somewhere the file was 300MB.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
You don't need the breath test kits as it's a law that is now officially not enforced although still on the statute book. You do need high visibility (day-glo) jackets for each passenger though. They have to be carried within the vehicle and worn by anyone exiting the vehicle on a highway, in the event of break-down for example.

OP
OP
Photo4x4

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
You don't need the breath test kits as it's a law that is now officially not enforced although still on the statute book. You do need high visibility (day-glo) jackets for each passenger though. They have to be carried within the vehicle and worn by anyone exiting the vehicle on a highway, in the event of break-down for example.
Yes, the chap in Halfrauds told me that but for the cost I though better safe than sorry.

Fortunately I already have a couple of high visibility vests.

I found that the European Motoring Kits that they sold had a lot of stuff in that I didn't need and didn't have stuff that I did need!

KH

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
When we first got the Hymer. I decided that there was no ready-made light bulb kit for a non-standard commercial vehicle, so I went through the manual, listed all the bulbs, then went to Halfords and bought them separately in packs. Now I keep a small box in the van with loads of bulbs, gas washers, fuses etc.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi KH sounds like you know a lot more about them than me so I cannot suggest anything but I am pretty certain mine simply dings and says slow down you are speeding -drives me bloody nuts ;):LOL:
terry
Terry, you can turn either, or both of the audio warnings off, or you can have them to sound once, or repeatedly. You can also have the speed warning flash up and animate on the screen.............or not. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Years ago, I might have done. ;)

I did once have an Ozzy Osbourne voice on the TT, but the language was so bad, I had to delete it. :eek:
Rita nearly had kittens when she heard it, and I came close to getting a thick ear. :LOL:

Cheers,

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Terry, you can turn either, or both of the audio warnings off, or you can have them to sound once, or repeatedly. You can also have the speed warning flash up and animate on the screen.............or not. ;)

Cheers,

:LOL::Dyou may be able to Jock (y) next time we meet remind me to let you look at it for me ;)it also keeps telling me my maps are out of date but it works so leaving well alone
terry

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
:LOL::Dyou may be able to Jock (y) next time we meet remind me to let you look at it for me ;)it also keeps telling me my maps are out of date but it works so leaving well alone
terry
No problems Terry, but it possibly won't be until early next year, as we are away during the Newark and Lincoln Shows. Re updating the maps, have a quiet word with lunarman (John). ;)

Cheers,

OP
OP
Photo4x4

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
Update.

The company I purchased the 'cheapo' SatNav from sent me the latest software and map update. After 7 hours of downloading overnight (we have sloooow broadband) I loaded it onto the SatNav.

Now I have an English voice pointing out if I go over the speed limit and I have some loud dings and an icon letting me know that I'm approaching a speed camera.

So - sorted, now I worry how the Russian lady is getting on. :)

PS I found that I can turn off the speed camera alerts when needed.

KH

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
there is an english version of the user manual in the downloads section of Fun. also several threads on how to update and do various tasks with the chinese sat navs running iGO primo

I call mine a fercarwee by the way

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back