LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Just seen this on their webpage, does this mean they have an area to park overnight?
CAMPING-CARS
Our Petrol Station has a space for your camping-cars

We normally stay at Carrefour carpark at CDeE.

ShiftZZ

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I'd very much doubt it. End up with the place looking like a gypsy encampment within a few days! I would think by 'space' they mean to fill up!

It's not a place i'd choose to park overnight anyway even if it was possible. Too many thieving toerags around that area just looking for anything they can grab off the back of mh's.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Was always under the impresion that all French supermarkets tolerate,if not encorage overnight parking on the off chance you will at least want bread in the morning.Dont know if I would want to risk Calais but have overnighted on many supermarkets when in transit,with no problems.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
We have been there many times to top up before getting on the ferry. I have never seen any overnight vans but it would not surprise me with the relaxed attitude to motor homes in France.

In the passed we have certainly spent the night on various supermarket car parks and never had any problems.

Doug...

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
We were there on Monday but didn`t see much in the way of MH parking their canopy is quite high so presumably they mean you can fill up there as we did .
As for overnite stop weve stopped on the Super U car parks they are quite tolerant.
Normally its the aires for us although again in Calais we park on the wharf and have had no problems, in fact when we came back Monday we didnt see any of the immigrnts that are normally hanging about.:thumb::thumb:

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
we park there overnight in the supermarket car park. Never had any trouble.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Dont know if I would want to risk Calais but have overnighted on many supermarkets when in transit,with no problems.
My mate had his bikes nicked from Calais Auchan off the back of his camper. Pair of boltcutters......job done in seconds and in broad daylight too.

Obviously he's not daft and had both insured though it never fails to amaze me at the amount of folk who don't insure.

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
So does anyone overnight at the caraprk on boulevard de Kent? The one next to the police station?

ShiftZZ

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
So does anyone overnight at the caraprk on boulevard de Kent? The one next to the police station?
Overnights anywhere in Kent are a sore point with me!

I drove down to Dover late night/early morning so the motorway would be relatively traffic free as it's a 280 mile trip for me. Approached the turn off for Dover on the M25 to find the exit entirely blocked off. No diversion signs, no warning, no nothing!

By the time i'd re-routed and got back on track it was 0430hr when i arrived in Dover. I'd driven almost another eighty miles, i was well knackered, tired, and feeling bloody angry. At least my ferry wasn't out until 1345hr so i parked up on Marine Parade and got my head down.

Yes i know......Marine Parade charges after 0800 or 0900hr. Daft place to park but i was too knackered to muck around looking for somewhere else and thought i'd manage to wake before that. I didn't! It was 0945hr when i woke up to the sound of heavy rain thrashing down. But that didn't stop some jobsworth warden slapping a ticket on my van.

When i looked along the length of Marine Parade, my van was the only vehicle in sight. There was nothing else there, not even a pedal bike!

I went to the Council and paid the fine as i was more than glad to be seeing the back of this dump country for the next month. I visited a couple of shops before i left and vented my fury with them. They sympathised as they pointed out how much trade to small business is being lost with shops being boarded up and the place becoming a ghost town.

In parts of Germany, Austria and even some of the smaller countries like Slovenia, what a refreshing change to find a totally different attitude toward the motoring public in general with large P&R carparks, some entirely free, or 'in town' metered parking where the first hour is totally free with the next first payment period being two and a half hours for just one euro.

On returning to the UK i banged off a letter to the Mayor of Dover telling him what a dump his town is becoming and before long the only thing left operating as a business will be the Ferry port.

Why can't the UK do the same as similar european towns or cities? Well it doesn't help when you've got a bunch of thieves and swindlers creaming off money to fund extravagant lifestyles.

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
we allways stop first and last nights at equihen plane aires 3eu with elactric its away from any problems .Aire de EQUIHEN PLAGE

Griffs

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
SOUTH WALES
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007
IF this is the attitude of dover law enforcement then we should all drive through and let them keep their town ,it is dying on it,s feet and is fast becoming a dump.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

robinmclaren

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
20+ if you include vw campers and the like
calais parking

hi
was i wrong to assume that we all park up at the port car park and overnight for the ferry next day , i was told this was the safest place and had no problems last week

Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
hi
was i wrong to assume that we all park up at the port car park and overnight for the ferry next day , i was told this was the safest place and had no problems last week

Thats what l do, l will be there next sunday night after Malvern Paul

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Thats what l do, l will be there next sunday night after Malvern Paul

Paul
It was good to meet you and John yesterday, thanks for such a neat job!:thumb: Where is the Car Park at the Port? (I have only ever driven straight to Check In.) Is it the one in front of the Ticket Office?
Colin

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Paul
It was good to meet you and John yesterday, thanks for such a neat job!:thumb: Where is the Car Park at the Port? (I have only ever driven straight to Check In.) Is it the one in front of the Ticket Office?
Colin

Hi

That's correct, we've also used it several times.. map showing location and route exiting the ferry

Calias Ferry Terminal - Google Maps

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back