Attention!! (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Hi old sodyer;):D. Love Somerset we visit Langport once a year outwith floods.(y)

Hi BB, don't like to use the full name for fear of retaliation!! Not sure if it's the Scottish sence of humour or you are having finger trouble on your keyboard but it's been awhile since anybody said "Sodyer" to me and not sure if the flooding down here has ever been "outwith"!
Thanks for the Hello, we will be heading up to your part of the world later this year. Just love Scotland
Regards. Pete.

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Pete, its sometimes the way we pronounce soldier up here.:D We usually do Somerset in September and have been lucky so far. (y)

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Peter, there are a few of us Old Soldiers around here; (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Pete, its sometimes the way we pronounce soldier up here.:D We usually do Somerset in September and have been lucky so far. (y)

In that case I guess our paths will cross somewhere between the two!
I spent many a happy year being a "sodyer" up there in Scotland. I use to have responsibilities for all the troops manning the listening stations all over the place. Super posting.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Welcome to MHF.

As ex Swift Gazelle owners we feel an affinity. We are due to pick up our new Swift Esprit this Thursday and are excited at the prospect.

You will find this site to be the "fount of all knowledge". There is always someone who knows the answer to any question.(y)

Unfortunately, not all answers give the same advice!:whistle:

You will soon learn to sort them out. Best £10 I have ever spent.
:welc::france:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
were you a scaley back then Peter?

i did 2 and a bit yrs in hQ Scotland

OP
OP
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Some older than others I suspect!!!
Thanks for all the Hello's whether in uniform or not!

OP
OP
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
were you a scaley back then Peter?

i did 2 and a bit yrs in hQ Scotland

That could have been me, spent 4 years at 242 Sigs. Good to hear from someone from Craigie Hall, just outside Edinburgh.

OP
OP
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Welcome to MHF.

As ex Swift Gazelle owners we feel an affinity. We are due to pick up our new Swift Esprit this Thursday and are excited at the prospect.

You will find this site to be the "fount of all knowledge". There is always someone who knows the answer to any question.(y)

Unfortunately, not all answers give the same advice!:whistle:

You will soon learn to sort them out. Best £10 I have ever spent.
:welc::france:

We love Elle, looked around on many occasions to find another van, always ended up with the same conclusion. Keep her!
Thanks for the welcome, I have a strange feeling I'm going to enjoy this site, despite the slow start!

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Hello Pete and Les. Glad you took the plunge and decided to join in.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We love Elle, looked around on many occasions to find another van, always ended up with the same conclusion. Keep her!
Thanks for the welcome, I have a strange feeling I'm going to enjoy this site, despite the slow start!
While in France, about 10 years ago we were on a site and noticed a Gazelle parked opposite.

On talking to the owners we found that they had one of the first Gazelles produced and we had one of the last. Both were excellent. We only sold ours to finance the purchase of our place in France but returned to motorhoming two years ago. Being based in France helps to reduce the costs of long term travelling.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
What's a Blue Bell? Apart from the woodland flower that is. I ask because my husband was a Snowdrop. :)

Scaly back is signals, Snowdrop RMP. Blue Bell ,,, REME..

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Scaly back is signals, Snowdrop RMP. Blue Bell ,,, REME..

Slight correction....Snowdrops are Royal Airforce Police. Or US Air Police.

RMPs are meatheads

RAF Regiment are Rockapes.

Royal Navy Regulatinf Branch are Fishheads

Can you tell my husband is adding his two penn'orth!

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
That could have been me, spent 4 years at 242 Sigs. Good to hear from someone from Craigie Hall, just outside Edinburgh.
Combat linesman, then??? :) Our two lads were both handbags. :( Never mind, someone has to brew the tea. :cry::cry::cry:

OP
OP
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Combat linesman, then??? :) Our two lads were both handbags. :( Never mind, someone has to brew the tea. :cry::cry::cry:

Hi.
Actually I was the SSM whilst I was there...so I guess that made me a Sh*t Head!! I did have lowly beginnings though, trained as an Electrician Driver in the 60's, spent many a happy day working with the Linemen. They made the tea and I provided the power to boil the kettle! ☕

OP
OP
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
While in France, about 10 years ago we were on a site and noticed a Gazelle parked opposite.

On talking to the owners we found that they had one of the first Gazelles produced and we had one of the last. Both were excellent. We only sold ours to finance the purchase of our place in France but returned to motorhoming two years ago. Being based in France helps to reduce the costs of long term travelling.

Elle is 15 this year and starting to show signed of her age, bit like all of us I suppose. Just had some damp sorted and had her over sealed. She is getting a nose and ear job done at the end of March which should spruce her up a bit and I expect to change her external organ before to long. Other than that she's in good nick...just like Les!!::bigsmile:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Bluebell was the fixed call sign for REME, likewise Holdfast were the Engineers, Acorn the Int etc. There were dozens of them. They weren't designed to fool the Soviets, only avoid misunderstandings I think.

But I knew the RAF Police as the Spoons, not sure why, perhaps because they pickled people up? And the RMP were always the Woodentops, though you wouldn't call one that to his/her face!

OP
OP
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Bluebell was the fixed call sign for REME, likewise Holdfast were the Engineers, Acorn the Int etc. There were dozens of them. They weren't designed to fool the Soviets, only avoid misunderstandings I think.

But I knew the RAF Police as the Spoons, not sure why, perhaps because they pickled people up? And the RMP were always the Woodentops, though you wouldn't call one that to his/her face!

Could have fooled me!! I always knew the Signals as "Bleeps" for obvious reasons.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back