Attaching an awning to the motorhome (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
M
Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
2 problems with that for me. First is metallic no good as no metal to attach it to. Secondly van is over 9' high so need steps but have the room for a small set. Can't get to Peterborough but any info gleaned would be helpful. I think the worry is the warranty and any damage any attachment may cause. However looked at logically it's not likely to cause damage and hopefully gains will far outweigh any risks.

Clankie

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach built Majestic 125
Exp
Hi Duncan, that magnet is amazing, I thought your La Strada would have a GRP top as your bed is in the sky on gas struts? Maybe you can still fit the magnet above the sliding door on the steel part. Our previous van was a Peugeot Boxer van conversion so I know what you mean about carrying steps. I don't have room in our new van either as its only 6m in length. We have enough to carry without a step ladder!! Ho Ho let me know how you get on. Cheers, Clankie

DuncanH

Free Member
Mar 10, 2015
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Panel Van
Exp
Since 2015
It has a metal roof. It's not a sky bed, has a side long sofa that converts into a bed. I'm guessing the magnetic strip has to be flat on the roof so the pull is straight compared to it being at right angles to the pull, if that makes sense.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Sorry if this has been asked before but I am new to the site so still trying to find things.
We have just purchased an Elddis Motorhome and also a Kampa mini travel pod, the XL to fit the height of our van. The idea is that we will use this for stays of a few days or more, mainly when staying in one place but obviously so we can use it as a drive away if needed.
We have no Fiamma ( don't want to add one as not keen on them, sorry!!) but neither have we an awning rail. Can anyone tell us from experience if we should just stick with throwing the guys over the van and anchoring them down or is it worth getting some kind of fitting rail put on the side of the van. Thanks
Does your van have roof rails/bars, our vango air beam has small Velcro attachments which you can use with roof rails/bars

OP
OP
M
Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Nothing I'm afraid. It's one of the new Solid construction ones from Elddiss. All moulded in one piece and everything glued together. Mo rails/no metal. The Kampa Air awning has guy ropes and loops along top edge. Thanks

Clankie

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach built Majestic 125
Exp
Hi all who have shown an interest in this thread.....
I have taken delivery of the plastic awning track, it comes in 750mm lengths the back flange is flat and measures 9mm. The OD of the section is 12mm with a slot to take a 6mm kador bead. The supplier is Caravan Accessories 4U on line and it's less than £5.00 a length. I'm using white plastic for my colour scheme but alloy rail is readily available on line or in stores. Now the double sided tape, I have been advised to purchase 3M RP45 VHB it comes in 12mm thickness and a 33m roll. It's grey in colour and costs a staggering £50 a roll!! I know it's expensive but I am splitting the cost with another Majestic owner who is trying to achieve same result. I have enough track to do 3m along wind out rail and 2m along very bottom of walls to take a skirt. I purchased the tape from an outfit in Bristol called Finecal but you can get it in a number of 3M distributors. I've been told to clean with normal soap water no wax like car shampoo then wipe off when dry with methylated spirit in one direction, that to ensure any crud goes to the far end. So don't rub it round and round. The demos in YouTube show fix tape to one side then go over with a little roller, I remember having one to do joints on wallpaper. Finally remove the film and position the other surface onto the tape. Finally use the roller again if possible, just pushing the two surfaces together. The data sheet suggests between 21-38 deg Centigrade, so don't try on a very cold day. Finally leave to cure 72 hours before use.
Well that's the best I can do, let's hope it's a nice day on Saturday. Try at your own risk Funsters but I will let you all know how mine goes.
Cheers, Clankie

Clankie

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach built Majestic 125
Exp
Correction 12mm wide 1.2mm thick 33m roll... Sorry guys

OP
OP
M
Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Looking forward to hearing how it goes. Are you attaching it to the side of the van or to the roll out awning?

Clankie

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach built Majestic 125
Exp
To the wind out for now, I can get 2.5in higher just going on the top front edge. It will clear the door and will be easy to thread through as I can wind it down to reach. However I think it's a better job on the wall as the sides will butt up exactly, like a caravan. You'll just have to give herself " a leggy up" to thread through. You'll have a nice dry doggy kennel then!! Good luck.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Hi all who have shown an interest in this thread.....
I have taken delivery of the plastic awning track, it comes in 750mm lengths the back flange is flat and measures 9mm. The OD of the section is 12mm with a slot to take a 6mm kador bead. The supplier is Caravan Accessories 4U on line and it's less than £5.00 a length. I'm using white plastic for my colour scheme but alloy rail is readily available on line or in stores. Now the double sided tape, I have been advised to purchase 3M RP45 VHB it comes in 12mm thickness and a 33m roll. It's grey in colour and costs a staggering £50 a roll!! I know it's expensive but I am splitting the cost with another Majestic owner who is trying to achieve same result. I have enough track to do 3m along wind out rail and 2m along very bottom of walls to take a skirt. I purchased the tape from an outfit in Bristol called Finecal but you can get it in a number of 3M distributors. I've been told to clean with normal soap water no wax like car shampoo then wipe off when dry with methylated spirit in one direction, that to ensure any crud goes to the far end. So don't rub it round and round. The demos in YouTube show fix tape to one side then go over with a little roller, I remember having one to do joints on wallpaper. Finally remove the film and position the other surface onto the tape. Finally use the roller again if possible, just pushing the two surfaces together. The data sheet suggests between 21-38 deg Centigrade, so don't try on a very cold day. Finally leave to cure 72 hours before use.
Well that's the best I can do, let's hope it's a nice day on Saturday. Try at your own risk Funsters but I will let you all know how mine goes.
Cheers, Clankie
Worth using a hot air gun or hairdryer if you haven't got one, and gentle heat as you apply

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Wow! Thats some price per meter.
Make sure u don't touch the surface when putting it up u will be stuck up there forever.
Just bought some obviously inferior stuff to fix up some led lighting strip 35p per meter.

nicklu

Free Member
Feb 15, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Van Converion
Exp
3 years
Hi we are also wanting to fit an awning rail on our peugeot boxer after near completing the conversion , don't know what to use !!!!!!! Any help would be very much appreciated.

Nick & linda

Bazzermc

Free Member
Feb 7, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
I'm a newbie
We have a Vango air awning, tried figure of 8 but found it to be a pain to fit each time and also the hab door would touch the awning roof (this is attached to the wind out on our Autotrail Cheyenne).
Tried the straps over the roof and had the noise issue, until we tried twisting straps, problem solved.....
Use our dogs "ball with rope" to get them over, twist and make sure they are away from all roof fittings, space them wide apart so pulling awning tight, this works for us.
Saves worrying about fitting rails, etc.

nicklu

Free Member
Feb 15, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Van Converion
Exp
3 years
Ok we will have a look at that . There is so many ways. We have a a vango Kella 111 just got it today so we can not wait to try it. Thank you for replying to us. Nick & lu

Clankie

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach built Majestic 125
Exp
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Hi Guys, well today I fitted the plastic awning rail to and bottom on van. I prepped the surfaces with alcohol to ensure they were as clean as possible. I applied the tape to the flange on the track inside then went outside and fixed the rail to the van. I only pulled off about 6 inches of the backing at a time and positioned the track as straight as I could. I used the wallpaper roller as per instructions to bed the track to the tape and the body. The temperature in Devon today is not great but at least it is dry. I will leave all to cure for 72 hours as suggested by 3M. I will post after May Bank Holiday if my porch and skirt have remained fixed to the van. I must say it is very strong even now just pushing it about when fixing. Hope you can see my photos ok.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    134.4 KB · Views: 56

Clankie

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach built Majestic 125
Exp
Oops a small c??k up, I haven't posted a picture before, maybe the webmaster could take the duplicate photo off.
Clankie

DuncanH

Free Member
Mar 10, 2015
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Panel Van
Exp
Since 2015
That looks very good.
Went to the Peterborough show last Friday, another problem I've found is the opening of the tunnel tapers at the top and even the bigger awning (that I don't really want) doesn't clear the sliding door (being a panel van) when slid open. Think only option there will be to some how pull top part away to let door slide past. I'll start another thread to see what other panel van uses do.
As far as fixing, going to try twisted straps over the roof, if no good then the magnetic thing and if that no good then bite the bullet and stick rail to the side.
Or might just give up on the whole awning idea !!!
Thanks for your advice.

Clankie

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach built Majestic 125
Exp
Hi DuncanH, you're having problems, we have had a stand alone tent for 3 years and it worked very well for us. I purchased a Vango Kela Tall but never connected it to the van. They are lovely quality but when connected very deep, 3.7m from the line of van and 3.1m wide. When it was stand alone it was only 2.1m deep, much better. For us in a Peugeot Boxer van conversion it was so big and heavy 17kg from memory. In short I gave to my son to stick onto his WV T25 camper. I then purchased an annex on EBay for £90.00 it is fantastic, 2m x 2m and weighs 7kg. We put two chairs and a small table, and two bikes at night. You can also put washing in if its raining. It takes no time to put up and take down. The only reason for my epic story is my wife likes the idea of a porch to give more privacy especially when we winter in Spain for 1month in one place then 3 weeks at another location. We don't drive away when set up in these locations. Other times when we are touring we could drive out each day sightseeing. I think keep it as simple as possible. Good luck, hope you get sorted.

DuncanH

Free Member
Mar 10, 2015
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Panel Van
Exp
Since 2015
I must admit I'm slowly coming to the conclusion you might be right. All this messing about for the sake of being covered going a few feet from the van to the awning.

Clankie

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach built Majestic 125
Exp
Hi guys,
Back from trials on awning track in windy East Fleet in Dorset. The 3M double sided is still in place despite the strong wind. To give an idea of the wind strength, when I was dismantling the awning after 3 nights, I had removed the front and one side pegs, the wind took the porch straight off the track, no damage but the tape seems to do what it says on the tin!! Strong enough for the job without any fastenings, I was a bit concerned when we put the porch up on the Friday but so far so good. 3M 10/10.
Big trial will be Southern Spain in the winter!! Lavante and Poniente winds.

OP
OP
M
Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Interestingly I was reading a thread on another forum (CC) where a couple of people were saying how their Fiammas had become bent after they had used an awning attached to the Fiamma pullout. We have made no progress here. Waiting to hear from Elddis about a poss return to factory to fix an issue with our motorhome, would see what they came up with whilst we are there. Nothing is happening very quickly though. Will start panicking in a month or so as we are doing the winter Spain trip as well.

Clankie

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach built Majestic 125
Exp
image.jpeg
I have come to the conclusion the Elddis in Co Durham just want to knock out motorhomes and caravans, they are NOT customer focused whatsoever. I would suggest you get your local dealer to stick the awning track on like we have done, no screws through the Solid shell so no problem with warranty. I enclose photo of my 2m Kampa porch last weekend. I know you will need a small step ladder to thread the kador strip through the track but your drive away will be connected nicely, no water gathering above the kennel!! Good luck.

OP
OP
M
Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Looks Ace!!! Simple but effective. Will definitely go up the stick on route though either ourselves or dealers. Just got the matter of warranty repairs in a new van to sort out first.

Clankie

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach built Majestic 125
Exp
Good luck with warranty repairs, I've just had 4 items put right by Marquis Motorhomes in Devon, our dealer. New front blinds, the originals were all kinked where they join in the middle. My grill igniter was repaired, a new pressure release valve fitted on my Whale Hot water system, the new one is still dripping under the van!! Rats! Finally a rubber seal fitted above my Dometic sun blind that they forgot to fit at the factory! So much for pre delivery inspections ech! Good luck on your trip to Europe, we're off to France soon for some sun and cycling. Cheers Clankie.

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
I like the awning rail and figure of 8 system we have.

If we won't need the awning we leave it at home, if we do use it we have a "drive away". I was always worried about damage to the van roof from straps rubbing with a "strap over".

Don't screw the rail on to the van but use an automotive adhesive. We used Puraflex 40 but there are others available.

Sorry posted in error

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back