Attaching an awning to the motorhome

Discussion in 'Motorhome Accessories' started by Madmag, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Madmag

Madmag Funster

Sorry if this has been asked before but I am new to the site so still trying to find things.
    We have just purchased an Elddis Motorhome and also a Kampa mini travel pod, the XL to fit the height of our van. The idea is that we will use this for stays of a few days or more, mainly when staying in one place but obviously so we can use it as a drive away if needed.
    We have no Fiamma ( don't want to add one as not keen on them, sorry!!) but neither have we an awning rail. Can anyone tell us from experience if we should just stick with throwing the guys over the van and anchoring them down or is it worth getting some kind of fitting rail put on the side of the van. Thanks

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC Funster

We have done both when we used to have a Movelite XL drive away awning. The straps over the van work ok (tip - we used a tennis/dogs ball to throw the straps over the van), but this can move around with the wind and be a little noisy at night if light sleepers. We then got one of the figure of 8 beading things to attach to the Fiamma wind-out awning channel, which I preferred - as the tunnel moved about less.

If you don't want a wind-out awning, some people use those caravan awning channels on the side of the van to attach the drive-away awning via the beading.

• Like Like x 1
  3. philw111

philw111 Funster

We tried using the over the roof method once - never again. It sounded like there was a flock of woodpeckers trying to get in :eek: (and I am NOT a light sleeper)

If you don't want a wind-out awning, then you are probably best going for the caravan-type channels.

• Like Like x 1
  4. nomadic

nomadic Funster

Yes. I agree with above, the figure of 8 trim holds the tunnel to the m/h side securely. A caravan awning trim securely adhered to the side of the m/h will work just as well. If you go this route, do ensure you remove all traces of polish etc, from the site of the awning rail, to obtain a sound and secure adhesion. If you use screws, do ensure they are well sealed when applied, I would not use screws if they can be avoided.

5. Jim

Jim Ringleader

You can buy awning rail and stick it to the side of your van. We've done that on a few vans now (y)

6. Vanderek

Vanderek Funster

7. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Twisted straps (wherever used) are quiet straps :).

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

I like the awning rail and figure of 8 system we have.

If we won't need the awning we leave it at home, if we do use it we have a "drive away". I was always worried about damage to the van roof from straps rubbing with a "strap over".

Don't screw the rail on to the van but use an automotive adhesive. We used Puraflex 40 but there are others available.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Madmag

Madmag Funster

Thanks for all the replies. I think it is looking like the awning rail is going to be the favourite. Using stick on. Have found the link to them on Amazon. Will probably have to go back to carrying a set of light weight steps with us though so we can reach the awning rail.

10. Madmag

Madmag Funster

An update on progress ... or not! We took the awning with us on our first trip out, good thing too it p...ersisted! down for 3 days solid, mud and water everywhere, fortunately on hard standing. We decided to try the rope over the van method, using the tennis balls, thanks for that tip, it did work. Except on the one occasion the ball came off and landed in next field!. This was OK but the rain we had over the few days meant that it gathered a bit in the flap between van & awning as we couldn't get it tight enough. Meant tunnel area got a bit soggy. Inside awning was lovely and dry to keep dog stuff and dry dog off inside though. Decided we would go for the awning rail idea & had a look at some on-line.
    We were in the dealers getting a few post sale bits sorted & asked them about fixing a rail. The big problem seems to be that this van is one of the new 'Solid' construction so sides are not aluminium.Apparently this means that it will not hold an awning rail. I find this difficult to understand as reading about the awning rail fitted to the same construction caravans on the Elddis website it would appear that the bonding is so good the awning would rip before the rail pulled off! So why not same for a motorhome. The dealer says that Elddis advise that an awning rail would need to be bolted through and if this was done that the fitter & us would have to sign a disclaimer should any damage occur using it.
    So dilemma is.. do we do that or go up the road of fitting a Fiamma or Ormistor. We were dead against this originally as they appear very heavy on side of van & of less than sturdy construction have used one in the past & found slightest wind twisted its frame. We want it mainly for a long stay when over wintering in Spain etc.
    We can get a fitting to put into a fiamma rail to do the job but this seems a very expensive way of doing it, also adds 30Kg+ weight to side of motorhome. Any other suggestions welcome please.

11. busby

busby Funster

We pitch our awning away from the van,,,why does it have to be attached ?? is it because caravaners do it like that. Its no hassle to walk ten foot to access awning. We can still see out of all the van windows to. BUSBY.

12. Madmag

Madmag Funster

Yes it probably is a caravaners thing!! We just thought the tunnel provided by the flap attached to the van gave us an extra bit of space. Also its a great area to towel off a very wet dog so he doesn't soak inside of awning or inside of motorhome. Having the dog is the main reason for having a small awning for us. The porch awning is for storing his food etc. if we are staying more than a couple of nights. Its also a good place to take off all the waterproof trousers and jackets after a walk. I suppose we have just got used to having one while we had a caravan & haven't quite moved fully into the Motorhome camp!!!

13. busby

busby Funster

We try our utmost not to do wet weather,,,,,,only had wet day and two rainy nights in six months of travelling last year,,,BUSBY.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Madmag

Madmag Funster

Thats the joy of walking in this country. 3 days solid rain first trip out. Second trip looked at weather forecast, dry so we tried without an awning. It was fine but still think it will be worth the hassle of putting it up if we are on a longer stay. Now our trip down to Spain at the end of the year, that will be different.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. busby

busby Funster

We had

16. Clankie

Clankie Funster

Hi Madmag, I have also purchased an Elddis motorhome recently, Dec 15. Ours is a Marquis dealer special we purchased our Autosleeper from them three years ago and get on well with them. I have read with interest your dealings with Elddis!! I have tried to email the customer service team and have basically given up as they don't want to talk to their valued customers, they point you at your dealer all the time. I have had a reply from the head of customer services but again, go to the dealer, very sad. Now your issue with an awning rail, we are going through the same problem, Elddis fitted a Dometic 3m awning to our van (part of the dealer special bit) however it is just above the habitation door and unless the legs are at max length, the door fouls the awning!! If they had fitted it even 2 inches higher it would have made all the difference. Like you we wish to fit a porch or drive away to the van, if you use the 6mm track on the bottom of the front section again it fouls the door. I have been working on fitting a C rail above the Dometic wind out awning and have been advised by the dealer they can stick one on with double sided tape, they use this system on VW campers. I am sceptical that double sided tape is up to the job!! If Elddis fitted a Domitec awning to the side of our "Solid" construction van why can't you fit a C rail if it is sealed properly, it lighter than my Dometic I am sure. The dealers use proprietary adhesives and I know from experience they stick motorhomes together all the time, not Solid construction with ten year warranty. Try and make that work knowing Elddis as I do! Like you we winter in Spain and would be happy to leave a 2m porch style up for the duration of the stay if we can secure the kador bead to the van. We have a stand alone annex and it works well, but a porch gives you more privacy on site. I purchased a Vango Kela driveaway but although it is a nice piece of kit, it is heavy, 18kg and bulky when folded up. Also it protrudes 3.7m from the van and is 3.1m in length. It's just too big for us. We have used it stand alone as you loose the tunnel width, better but it's still heavy. Our annex is only 7kg and is 2m x 2m. I just want to attach a 2m x 2.5m Kampa porch to the van some how. I have even sourced plastic C rail in 1m lengths, if I can find a suitable adhesive I would give it a go, and my ten year warranty would be intact!! Thought please. :)

17. Madmag

Madmag Funster

At the moment I am waiting for dealer to get back to me after they have spoken to Elddiss again. We have even offered to go up to Durham and have them factory fitted! Interested to know about not invalidating the warranty if you just stick a rail on, is that from Elddiss. If this is the case then I am sure there is a suitable adhesive out there. What I cannot understand is why it is such a problem. It is only the top 'flap' but of the porch section which we want to attach as find the tunnel this makes very useful particularly for drying a wet dog!! We have bought a kampa air awning the smallest one but if we can get a rail sorted then will be getting a bigger more traditional one for our long stay in Spain as the idea is that the van stays out for as much time as possible but we have the ability to drive away if needed.

18. Clankie

Clankie Funster

Hi thanks for responding quickly, I spoke to the service manager in Marquis Motorhomes in Devon as my van is going in for warranty work prior to our next trip to Europe. I discussed the problem of attaching a C rail above my wind out awning, he explained they use a high bonding 3M double sided tape that is extremely strong. If you don't put screws into the GRP Elddis must honour the ten year Solid warranty. I have also emailed 3M myself this morning and asked for their advice on a product to do the job. I can't understand why Elddis don't want to fit the rail for you if you have offered to drive to Co Durham. I think they don't want to meet any of their valued customers face to face personally!! Good luck and frankly your are better off without a wind out awning, ours has to roll out horizontal to clear the door and is frankly useless as a sun shade. What a waste of money!! It's typical of designers who don't use the products in my view.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Clankie

Clankie Funster

Hi Madmag again, I have just remembered a conversation I had with Kirsty Smith, head of customer relations in Elddis. I requested a price for a bathroom cupboard, she responded they have no facility for retail sales and to contact my dealer. The factory is a production line and they do not have a service centre. We were spoilt in the past as we visited Autosleeper service centre on several occasions for enhancements to our old van. The customer service there is fantastic. It is located by the production section but they deal with the public. What's more they service other makes as well. I think Elddis has no facility to accept you back to the factory to install a 3m piece of awning rail, and that's the problem. I suggested to Mz Smith that I might go to the Autosleeper service centre to have a cupboard fitted. Answer, no comment!! That says lots ech!!

20. berni109

berni109 Funster

@Clankie can u not just stick the rail to the top of the wind out