attaching a solar panel to cables. (1 Viewer)

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I have fitted 2 cables on to the leisure battery under the driver seat to enable me to use an inverter, 1 red with an in line fuse,1 black without a fuse, both cables have o rings on the end of them so that an inverter can be used as and when needed.
This battery is served by a solar panel and is also charged by the engine when running.
Question. .. can I use these 2 cables via the o rings to connect a free standing solar panel as well to give the batteries more 'juice'
We can't seem to go more than 3 or 4 days off grid so I have bought a freestanding 60w folding solar panel with its own regulator to suppliment the 85w roof panel.
There are 2 x110amp batteries.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yes you can....but please ensure the connections are well insulated.
by O ring i assume you mean crimp rings.

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Yes that what I mean, I didn't know the correct name for them, thanks for that.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I once did as you have done regarding the extra wires.
i used insulated posts fixed to the seat base rather than connectors so i could attach croc clips and they would remain safe and secure.
i didnt fit a fuse as the wires were no more than 8" long and under the seat.......a mistake i have never repeated.

The dogs lead (chain) accidently laid across both terminal posts as she moved around.

Only a few seconds but the chain was hot enough to badly scorch the carpet.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I once did as you have done regarding the extra wires.
i used insulated posts fixed to the seat base rather than connectors so i could attach croc clips and they would remain safe and secure.
i didnt fit a fuse as the wires were no more than 8" long and under the seat.......a mistake i have never repeated.

The dogs lead (chain) accidently laid across both terminal posts as she moved around.

Only a few seconds but the chain was hot enough to badly scorch the carpet.

Thanks for the info so do I need to fit an inline fuse for the black wire as well?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
No, as long as the live wire is fused its all protected.

If the live wire touchs an earth, either the earth wire or a metal body part, the fuse will blow..... if the neg/earth wire touchs an earth nothing happens as its already connected to earth.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
No, as long as the live wire is fused its all protected.

If the live wire touchs an earth, either the earth wire or a metal body part, the fuse will blow..... if the neg/earth wire touchs an earth nothing happens as its already connected to earth.
What happens if the negative wire touches the positive connection(battery post) if it's long enough to be able to touch it? Accidentally of course.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
A
What happens if the negative wire touches the positive connection(battery post) if it's long enough to be able to touch it? Accidentally of course.
A flash, sparks, heat. That sort "happening" :) But fuses are not normally put in the negative lead as what you describe should never happen. But if you think it might then add one!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back