ATMs should we worry about losing them (1 Viewer)

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
[HI]Please don't use this thread to knock banks we know there robbing barstools
Start your own thread please:thumb::Eeek:
[/HI]

ATMs(Automatic telling machines)

http://money.aol.co.uk/2012/12/11/b...icid=maing-grid7|uk|dl4|sec3_lnk2&pLid=144966

Just a thought living in overcrowded essex London/Southend on sea part
The banks seem to have many cash machines

If we moved to a different area which is less populated
(House move type move)
I know you can get cash back at some shop establishments
Just concerns me

That the banks introduced ATM s to make life easier
Read save money on wages for them

now they have slowly closed the banks in rural areas
Seems there is now thoughts of them withdrawing from ATM

Seems they are thinking of withdrawing from LINK machines

At a stroke we will end up paying to get our money
From the hole in the wall

Seems the thin edge of a sharp wedge​

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Interesting..

Personally I seldom use ATMs .. if I need a small amount of cash I get 'cash back'

but.. I guess it depends on whether you have a bank account with a debit card .. many folks don't.. unemployed and those on benefits may only have a Post Office account and a card for cash at ATMs,.. but it can't be used for electronic transactions.. so depend on ATMs and cash for everyday purchases ..

The 'cashless' society has been talked about for years, cheques have all but disappeared, plastic is now king.. but I doubt we will ever be totally 'cashless'.. well , not in my lifetime.

So to answer the question.. not personally .. but I can see the problems it will create for the less advantaged..

Last edited:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Not so much a reply-more a comment on how life can't be easy for small local branches of banks.

The only time I actually visit my local branch is if some idiot gives me a cheque for something.
I do all my banking online,I get cash from the ATM at Tescos,I get my Euros from ICE.

Mike.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well like everything when moving to a sparsely populated area, you have to weigh up the pros and cons.

Infrastructure be it Bank/ATM, post office/box, doctor, hospital, shop(s), school(s), public transport, milkman or whatever - is a very important part of what you have to weigh up.

Is the idyllic cottage with roses round the door and no neighbours in the middle of a wood where no mains flow an ideal place for a person to live as they get increasingly elderly have to give up driving and become physically disabled? For starters you have to have the means to get your dustbin to the edge of the main road if you want it emptied - eg our friends had to buy a trailer and have a towbar fitted to one car because the "drive" (in between a wood one side and 2 fields the other) was nearly half a mile. Up hill with the bin full, downhill when it was empty.

So you have to plan for when you need cash, same as you know if you've forgotten to buy bread or milk, you have to go out in the car to get it. But then - you wouldn't need cash unless you were out and about to spend it somewhere in the first place, would you?

It does save you from Carol singers and Trick or Treaters though! and people knocking on the door to ask if you want your drive tarmaccing or to sell your caravan and offering you £50 to take it off your hands .....

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I know that the number of rural branches are closing, when I started work on Anglesey on the early 1970’ there were 5 braches, employing some 60 staff or more, now they employ less than 20 at most. In those days they used TC500’s terminals and no ATM’s, there were long queues at the cashiers and the hours were 9:30-3:30.

I know they did some ‘work’ on the cost of keeping rural branches open and the cost of maintaining them was horrendous and there was an exodus, no bank wanted to be the last to leave a town or village.

ATM’s have been good, but there has been a cost, that being the actual machine, the cost of connecting them 24*7 and servicing, they are not cheap. There was also the cost of reducing the staff numbers.

An ATM is the same as the old telephone boxes, low use, they get rid..

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
If anyone has read the Brentford Trilogy (a series of at least 5 books by Robert Rankin - The Sprouts of Wrath etc etc) you will all know, just like me that very soon we will all have to have a barcode tattooed on us, then shops will just scan the barcode to get at our dosh.........

OP
OP
tofo
Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
When we need cash which is getting rare these days
plastic and debit cards seem acceptable everywhere
We use our local post office counter for cash
They have an ATM outside
But I do like a person to speak to
I also get my vehicles road tax at the same P/ Office
So it's there next time I want to use it

I acknowledge there are some shops can't afford to make the switch
At those I have to use cash and I can understand their reasons

Just worrys me that we are sleepwalking into
The future without thinking that which it brings

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
ATM

I don't see it as a problem, there are plenty of places one can get cash back and there are plenty of ATM machines both in towns and at motorway service stations. If a customer lives in a very rural location, obviously there will not be a handy ATM, or a handy anything , that goes with the territory. People just have to be aware that they must make arrangement to obtain money, or shopping or any other commodity.

Banks have a vested interest in having our accounts, that's how they make money, they all contribute to the Visa or Mastercard scheme since they have no choice but to do so. There have been rumblings about charging for ATM usage, but they must all agree impose charges at the same time otherwise people will migrate to those that don't charge and in the ever competitive quest to have us open accounts so they can make add on sales they will do all thy can to avoid losing accounts.

So the answer o the original question is. No, I don't see it as a problem at the moment, i doubt if it will become a problem and if it does I am certain there will be a solution around the corner. By the way I live in a semi rural location so speak from some personal experience.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
For starters you have to have the means to get your dustbin to the edge of the main road if you want it emptied - eg our friends had to buy a trailer and have a towbar fitted to one car because the "drive" (in between a wood one side and 2 fields the other) was nearly half a mile. Up hill with the bin full, downhill when it was empty.

It does save you from Carol singers and Trick or Treaters though! and people knocking on the door to ask if you want your drive tarmaccing or to sell your caravan and offering you £50 to take it off your hands .....

I used to live in a cottage with a half-mile driveway but left the wheelie bin up at the roadside and just popped a small bag of rubbish in it when going out.

Although I was spared carol singers and trick or treaters, it didn't save me from itinerant tarmac gangs or Jehovah's witnesses. :RollEyes:

Steve_UK

Free Member
May 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleeper Clubman GL
Exp
Since May 2012
... snip ... there are plenty of ATM machines both in towns and at motorway service stations. ... snip ...

As a matter of interest, has anyone found an ATM at a motorway service station that does not make a charge for withdrawals recently?

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
Come to think of it - only some of the BP ones on the minor roads have the free ATM's now - I think all the ones in the motorway services charge!

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Maybe if we all have to get cash back from retailers , in the end there will be no cash because everyone will be going in to use a card--so where will cash be excepted?
Swipe a phone app,
swipe a top up cash card,

A cashless society :Eeek:

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
ATM'S

As a matter of interest, has anyone found an ATM at a motorway service station that does not make a charge for withdrawals recently?

True some machines interior machines operated by the places like "welcome break" etc. charge as do some "link" machines. However, there are others that don't charge and even advertise free cash withdrawals, I am thinking of machines that are stand alone type ones not attached to other premises, the one I use is at the services on the A12 at chelmsford, and another at M20 services just before getting the tunnel at Folkstone. I can't now remember others I have used, but I do know I would not use them if there was and charge and I haven't had to go short of cash.

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
ATM

Brave New ATM

In line at the works cafeteria they tell
Jack says to Mick-.-My elbow hurts like hell
Be brave my friend-.- pain goes-.-it will not hurt
so with muscular backpain you need not flirt
I suppose I'd better see a doctor
I'll go off right now to Doctor Proctor

Pat at the surgery says don't waste your time
theres a new A.T.M.--- at the five and dime
Given a sample of urine it will tell you
what is wrong--and perhaps what you can do

It takes ten minutes-.-and costs five dollars
quick advice and loyalty points follers
So Jack takes a sample to the machine
to test it-.-unsure if you know what I mean

Computer lights up, asks for the sample
pour it in now dear and give it time (ample)
Sit for ten seconds then ----please wait it out
Computer issues first comment-.-print out

You've Tennis Elbow and you now oughter
soak your poorly elbow in warm water
follow this advice we give-.-which you seek
and all will be well again in two weeks

That evening while resting Jack had a thought
he wondered if the computer could be caught
so then intending to fully test its function
he mixed by himself a strange concoction

He mixed in the first place with tap water
urine samples from his wife and daughter
on the lawn he found a sort of unknown log
an unrequested contribution from his dog

And finally to complete this treasure
he pleasured himself in --for good measure
then back down to the Wallmart five and dime
to test the computer out for one last time

Eager to see yet again for himself what follers
he paid the machine another five dollars
Knowing hed beaten it----sure of the facts
poured in the cocktail and then he sat back

While he was waiting out there with a grin
the computer printed the following
Your local tap water is far far too hard
please fit yourself a filter in the yard

oh and your dog Rover has ring-worm too
bathe him with an anti-fungal shampoo
your daughter too has a cocaine habit
If you can get her into "Rehab" it
will do the Neighborhood---truly good;

Your wife is pregnant with twins-.-they're not yours
get a lawyer----------------------organise a divorce
and stop playing with yourself ---you nutter
if you don't your elbow wont get better

Please insert your loyalty points card this time
and thank you for shopping at the five and dime.

© Roger Holcombe, All rights reserved.
Poem by Teddybard.

ATM.=Automated Treatment Machi

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back