Atlantic Ocean places to see La Rochelle to spain (1 Viewer)

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
hi we are going here at easter for 10 days. Previously done a trip from calais to La Rochelle following coast so continuing on. Anyone have any must see places along the coast at all. Already planning les sables do lone and oradour sur glare (I know not on coast but I'll make exceptions)

Like the beaches, sea water old towns with quaint streets etc but won't rule anything out if it's along the coast.

Cheers
Gary

OP
OP
G

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
Wow great suggestions all on my list now many thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
When are you going? I cycled up the west coast of France a couple of years ago in June and it was delightful, flowers in bloom, birds nesting etc. You might get an impression of what the coast is like below La Rochelle from my account of the trip. Of course it is from a cycling perspective so you will have to adapt it!

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/France2013

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Ile de Re
Ile d'Oleron
The lesser-known Ile Madame (tidal causeway from Port des Barques)
The Carrelets (fishing huts on stilts) all along the coast and beside the River Charente
The Bonne Anse tidal lagoon and oyster beds at La Palmyre are worth an explore around low tide. Around high tide you'll need a snorkel and flippers.
The dunes and beach around Phare de la Coubre (this whole bit of coast is well set up for bikes)
Old WWII bunkers, the weird meteorological chair-like thing and more carrelets at Saint-Palais-sur-Mer
Across the Gironde you've got the Dune du Pyla as mentioned above
Before that is Lacanau-Ocean which has the best surfy vibe if you like that sort of thing - also well set up for bikes
At Biscarrosse-Plage you've got a large aire in a pine forest near a wide wild beach. The resort's a bit naff but the surroundings are interesting
I'm not personally a big fan of Mimizan-Plage, but further down in the right conditions you could see some big waves at Hossegor
Biarritz-Anglet-Bayonne (known locally as BAB) we like a lot - plenty of variety, tidy stylish beach frontage, 3 aires, good bus services and bike tracks, worth a few days of your time.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
To add to the excellent list above..

Between Mimizan Plage, (which we like) .. and Barritz is ....... Capbreton .. the aire is behind the sand dunes, it has an EHU , can walk into town or along the beach to the harbour.. GPS 43.635914,-1.446712

Google map

OP
OP
G

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
Some great suggestions. Many thanks
I'm off at easter for just 10 days but I'm now super excited looking at these great suggestions

Reactions: DBK
May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
If you are using aires , i think the dune du pyla has one but also couple of others to try Gastes & Sanquinet both nice ones.
We also stopped at a municipal c/site Le Garenne just opposite Ile Madame, basic but ideal for crossing over to the island, At port de Barques. If you need gps for aires etc just ask.
Terry

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Brantome well worth a visit if that way

upload_2015-3-14_17-3-26.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2015-3-14_17-4-13.jpeg
    upload_2015-3-14_17-4-13.jpeg
    219 KB · Views: 15

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Where are you planning crossing the Gironde? Are you actually planning on crossing it? LOL I ask cos the ferry from Royan is indeed quick but expensive, otherwise the nearest bridge is about 100miles up the estuary! But there is plenty on Royan side anyway.

You could start on the aire at Aytre - right on the beach, mainly a kite-surfing venue these days I think - and meander from there. There used to be a fantastic fish restaurant at the head of the spit of land (or very narrow peninsula) at Fouras just slightly west of there. Mortagne sur Gironde is indeed an excellent aire - free wifi too LOL - but not much at all in the way of 'commerce' or even cafes - out of season so make sure you have enough food, milk etc to get by if nowhere's open. Nice walk accessed by going through the boatyard on the opposite side of the marina past the Captainerie office.

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
dune du pyla is a must,amazing.
we are shipping out on thursday 2/4/15 and calling at Bouchoir ww1 graves where my great grandad is buried.. we shall be at oradour sur glane on the saturday 4/4/15, might see you.

OP
OP
G

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
Thank you all. Wow you are right the ferry across the Gironde is not cheap is it. Mind you I'm short on time so may have to suck it up . See how the mood takes us when we are there.
That's the beauty of a motorhome, we were planned to go to Paris and Amsterdam but the wife decided she wanted the sea instead and to continue where we left off a few years ago.

I'm looking forward to this trip

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Wow you are right the ferry across the Gironde is not cheap is it.

€47.90 ?
Link Removed

probably not much between it and the cost of diesel if you go via the road , plus the time saved.. ?

never actually used the ferry as we normally miss out Royan on the way down the coast as we used to go to there when we were tuggers so know that area well already..

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Bordeaux was incredible, soooo interesting and wonderful. Ile de Re is not to be missed in warmer weather, spesh if you have bikes, however, not sure about this time of year. We didn't rate Biarritz at all to be honest, but we adored the Basque town of St Jean du Luz, wonderful !!!! On the way back we loved Dinan.

DocHoliday

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
5 years
The small town of Bourg en Gironde (though it's actually on the east bank of the Dordogne) just north of Bordeaux is very charming. There's a municipal campsite right by the river, away from noise, and I think it's due to open again on April 1st, 15 Euro per night, excluding electric. You can also park overnight on the quay, but not sure when they start charging for that - it appears to have at least one long-term resident MH-er.

OP
OP
G

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
Many thanks all. Back now and had a good time. A lot of driving in 9 days , over 2000 miles but some lovely sites. The sand dune was perhaps the high lite of the tour, a must see for anyone in the area .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back