At the rear

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by sinbad1, Feb 5, 2009.

1. sinbad1

sinbad1 Deleted User

Not had our motorhome long and only had a few local trips, cant wait for the better weather.

One thing i have noticed is not being able to see anything at thre rear of the motohome, there is a window at the back ;but this is relativly small and cannot see anything through the rear veiw mirror.

Whilst the side mirrors are great, very often i can't see anything thats just behind me.

Do others have the same problem ? and are there any alernatives?

Regards

2. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

Do others have the same problem ? .....Yes :Wink:
    and are there any alernatives? ...Yes, have a rear view camera fitted, :Doh:
    bit of an expensive solution though. :BigGrin::BigGrin:

3. superk

superk Read Only Funster

Other than the camera suggestion it's a matter of getting used to it - trucks don't have inside mirrors it's all done on the wing mirrors and in the HGV test you have to park with the rear end over a marker about one-yard in depth - the more you use it the easier it becomes - adjust the mirrors and your seating so you get the best view - use your mirrors more often when driving so you are aware what the 'scene' is behind you and wait before turning in case a vehicle or cyclist has moved into your blindspot.

:Smile:
    Keith

4. Dodgey

Dodgey Funster

Drove vans in my youth, no cameras no problem, but I wouldn't be without now on the RV. Picked up a simple Kress & Boll (?) system from Germany via eBay at around £100, sort of thing trucks (that do) use. B&W, works day & night with sound, and as said wouldn't be without.

Si.

5. sinbad1

sinbad1 Deleted User

Thanks got one of those ;but only works in reverse:Eeek:

I did see this sticker on a lorry once

[​IMG]

If you can't see my wing mirrors
    I can't see you

Think i'll see if i can get one of these:BigGrin:

Regards

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2009
  6. superk

superk Read Only Funster

It's taking a power feed from the reversing lights. Should be a simple job to rewire so powers up when ignition turned on - with the RV could also be used when ignition turned to accessories or whatever.

:Smile:
    Keith

7. Frankie

Frankie Funster

Hi,Suggest you google vision uk.wireless reversing camera,monitor replaces rear view mirror,infra red night vision.I fitted one and wired up so that it is on all the time,fitted a switch on camera feed.Quite expensive but very pleased with mine and wouldnt be with out it,:Smile:

8. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

I have driven Artics for more years than l can remember, and have never needed to see through the vehicle. Its just a matter of getting used to the door mirrors. Also, if you think you can see things behind you, you're mistaken, because usually the window is high up and you will not see small or low objects behind you. Reversing using mirrors is easy when you get the hang of it. And as others have said, a rear view camera is a good investment.

9. sinbad1

sinbad1 Deleted User

Hey that may be the answer :thumb: If i can find the wiring diagram as the reversing screen is part of a dropdown dvd/digital tv player.

The cab rear view mirror is a waste of space

Regards