Free Member
Feb 13, 2015
Lleyn peninsula
Funster No
MH
Majestic accordo 125
Exp
4 years
I wondered if any of you could give advice, we are contemplating changing our ferry crossing to Santander, could anyone recommend any nice places to stay near a beach and nice town with 100 miles of Santander.

Thank you

Lynne

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Gijon is a nice town. The entire region is beautiful, so would recommend that you explore as you go along. Great food too.
Weather can de a bit Cornwallish though.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
san vicente de barquara . tagle out near suances ,rohdiles .before gijon nice place near arguero head for the playa its called playa meron . its got dinosaur foot prints in the rocks .
or playa de espasa ,or playa vega both just past ribadesella.
there is loads of inland places too many to mention .
i have missed loads out . just hug the coast .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Sopela or Sopelana, the same place but in Spanish and Basque.

I've not been there for a few years but I've wild camped in the main clifftop parking area and in a few restaurant car parks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sopela

There seems to be 'authorised' camping at;

http://www.campingsopelana.com/en/

But I know nothing about it.

The weather is, as you might expect on the Bay of Biscay, changeable.

On the cliff top is, what I think is a WWII bunker, probably the southern end of Hitler's Atlantic Wall;

bunker-sopelana.jpg

Another favourite place is Mundaka.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mundaka

A lovely little village but it is a famous surfing bay so expect to be overwhelmed with Aussie surfers, it is rated the best left break in Europe.

ola_Mundaka.jpg

There is a campsite;

http://www.campingportuondo.com/en/

Mundaka is very small with narrow roads and houses with overhanging balconies, I would not take a large home into the village centre.

Last edited:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
All i know about Asturias is my pay comes from there, a few of my colleagues have been over and said it was a nice area.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
its fantastic .
been a few years since i did the baque are . that was always nice . but canarbria and asturia i do most years . i like galicia as well there are some real nice hidden away places if you follow the forestry roads by the sea .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i know you said beaches but you can turn left a little bit after san vicente atunquerand go up the pecos de europa then come down by turning right at riano and end up near ribadesella its a real exciting drive . inland spain as so much to offer . there really are fantastic places by the sea and inland . its my favourite area of spain . unfortunately it can be very cold inland in winter. we followed a snowplough in april across from riano to pola de laviana . the driver remembered us from the year before on another trip. it was really funny.
but honest you will i,m sure enjoy the trip.

OP
OP
Lynne Steele

Lynne Steele

Free Member
Feb 13, 2015
Lleyn peninsula
Funster No
MH
Majestic accordo 125
Exp
4 years
Well, ferry changed to Santander, thank you for all the ideas of places to visit, really looking forward to it, now find nephews wife's family have permanent tourers on Perlora Camping Candas, so will stay there a day or 2 and meet her Spanish family.

Lynne x

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've stayed at camping perlora twice for short visits before catching the ferry back. Not sure if the one you mention is the same but it is a nice area - but as mentioned, the weather can be a bit "Atlantic". If you have the time head further west into Galicia, you won't be disappointed.

Broken Link Removed

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i never use campsites . i know there is a big park up at cabo de penas.by the lighthouse and more at the next faro .
i also say look on amazon and get a mapamax map book of spain and portugal. best map i know for showing little hide away beach names etc . its done by anaya touring club a spanish crowd.

OP
OP
Lynne Steele

Lynne Steele

Free Member
Feb 13, 2015
Lleyn peninsula
Funster No
MH
Majestic accordo 125
Exp
4 years
I've stayed at camping perlora twice for short visits before catching the ferry back. Not sure if the one you mention is the same but it is a nice area - but as mentioned, the weather can be a bit "Atlantic". If you have the time head further west into Galicia, you won't be disappointed.

Broken Link Removed

Yes that's the one, is it nice, I am sure we will get a very warm welcome from the family. Fingers crossed for the weather x

OP
OP
Lynne Steele

Lynne Steele

Free Member
Feb 13, 2015
Lleyn peninsula
Funster No
MH
Majestic accordo 125
Exp
4 years
i never use campsites . i know there is a big park up at cabo de penas.by the lighthouse and more at the next faro .
i also say look on amazon and get a mapamax map book of spain and portugal. best map i know for showing little hide away beach names etc . its done by anaya touring club a spanish crowd.

Thank you we will do that, like exploring x

Jun 20, 2011
Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2015
We are due to get the ferry to St Malo in June with the original plan of meandering through France and then a bit of Northern Spain, finally getting the ferry from Santanter. But I think we will change our plans to get through France as quick as possible and explore Northern Spain, it looks amazing. My husband loves France but I much prefer Spain especially off the beaten track.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
well get the mapamax off amazon .
it really as more names for beaches than any map book i have seen .
once you do northern spain france is in the past.
should anyone need a vet for pets paperwork there is a good one in san vicente de barquera . speaks english very well. on the west side as you cross a bridge you cant miss it ,look up its there .

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Yes that's the one, is it nice, I am sure we will get a very warm welcome from the family. Fingers crossed for the weather x
Yes, it's not a bad site, the best pitches overlook the sea. It's a short walk into town which is worth exploring.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back