Assure me that this won't happen to us: (1 Viewer)

Jan 12, 2016
Amble
Funster No
MH
adria izola
Exp
since 2014
An elderly Floridian called 911 on his cell phone to report that his car has been broken into.

He is hysterical as he explains his situation to the dispatcher.

"They've stolen the stereo, the steering wheel, the brake pedal and even the accelerator!" he cried.

The dispatcher said, "Stay calm... An officer is on the way."

A few minutes later, the officer radios in "Disregard."

"He got in the back-seat by mistake."

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I do so hope they stopped him driving at all!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
I did something similar a few years back on a business trip to Sweden. I rented a car and drove to a small town where I parked outside the hotel and asked if it was OK. Ir wasn't but they directed me to the car park.
I went back out to the car, opened the door and jumped in and thought "Where's the bloody steering wheel?"
Yes, I had got in the passenger side :doh: :doh:

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
A friends employee was walking through an out of town retail car park and got hit by an old guy and squashed against a wall with his legs trapped between the wall and the car, the old guy still had his foot on the accelerator and was still sat in his car when the Police arrived.

He had to be brought back to life several times overnight so by all accounts got away lightly in a wheel chair with a leg missing.

I would hate to lose my mobility but truly hope I stop driving before I am a danger to anyone else.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I tried to get into the wrong jag. Right colour right year. wrong row

Oct 6, 2016
norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I did something similar a few years back on a business trip to Sweden. I rented a car and drove to a small town where I parked outside the hotel and asked if it was OK. Ir wasn't but they directed me to the car park.
I went back out to the car, opened the door and jumped in and thought "Where's the bloody steering wheel?"
Thas a hoot,?!!! Know how U feel bcos I did exact same thing in Saudi 1976, jumped into a Chevvy pickup on the wrong side and made maself look like a rite ejet,?!!!

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Not saying anything about Ford security (much) but in my youth, I had a burgandy Ford Capri - loved that car! :D
Anyway, after visiting a local tourist hotspot with a few friends, I walked back to my car, put the key in the door, unlocked it and sat in the drivers seat, which was in the wrong position, so I adjusted it. The rear view mirror was also in the wrong position, so I adjusted that, which showed two terrified children sitting in the back. That alerted me to the fact that something was wrong, it then dawned on me, that my car was in fact the OTHER burgundy Ford Capri in the car park!
A lot of explaining was needed on that occasion! :)

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
In-laws were half way home when MIL asks when they got the furry dice hanging from the mirror. FIL looked round, wrong car, went back to car park, moved own car and put other in it's place, was a very small fiat in the 80s.
Sometimes wonder what the owners thought when they had finished their shopping.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Not saying anything about Ford security (much) but in my youth, I had a burgandy Ford Capri - loved that car! :D
Anyway, after visiting a local tourist hotspot with a few friends, I walked back to my car, put the key in the door, unlocked it and sat in the drivers seat, which was in the wrong position, so I adjusted it. The rear view mirror was also in the wrong position, so I adjusted that, which showed two terrified children sitting in the back. That alerted me to the fact that something was wrong, it then dawned on me, that my car was in fact the OTHER burgundy Ford Capri in the car park!
A lot of explaining was needed on that occasion! :)

In my youth I dated a girl whose dad loaned me his Cortina estate so I could pick up some new speakers from the guitar shop. When I got back to the car I realised I had locked the keys in the ignition.
I went to the Sunderland police station just around the corner, explained hte situation and a very nice bobby accompanied me to the car with a large bunch of keys that had been handed in. The first Ford key he found opened the door.
Ford security hasn't improved much if the number of stolen transits is anything to go by.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Found my car (I thought!) Maureen went to passengers side, my key wouldn't work! WTH!!
Happened to glance in to the car as I was trying to get the key to work!

Very worried elderly Lady making shooing gestures with her hands
Sunbeam Rapier F/Back?- check(y)
Metallic Aquamarine?- check(y)
Rego # starts with FN- check(y)
FN19XX?- NO! FN16XX:doh:

Profuse apologies all round, much gesticulating to right car, and red faced withdrawal

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Parked at a multi story for work. Came to go home and the car was gone. Rang the police to report it stolen. Just as the police car drove in the ramp to where I was waiting, I remembered that due to a planned drinks party that evening I'd come in by train that day.
Fessed up to the police who were fine; saw the funny side of it. My neck was burning as they drove off and I walked the 500 yards to the station.

Dec 27, 2016
Lichfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
In the 70s went with a friend to a nightclub in his mini. We where half way home when I said I didn't remember he had a second rear view mirror fitted, he replied I don't remember having a small racing steering wheel; yep wrong car:D took it back, parked where we got it from and walked to the next line of cars and went on our way in his(y)

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Brilliant thread.....and best laugh of the year. Thus far! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Been there read the book with many of the above posts, all Fords (mainly Mark 5 Cortina)

Car Park - Chinese Restaurant, three Chinese chefs waving meat cleavers at me when the alarm on THEIR car went off cos I was trying to get in in!

Picking up elderly grandparents from train station, putting luggage in boot, all sitting comfortably, car wouldn’t start, went to ring AA then realised we were all in wrong car, mine was five further forward! Etc etc.

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009

Huh I do it all the time :-( especially in petrol stations!!!!!! :)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Parked at a multi story for work. Came to go home and the car was gone. Rang the police to report it stolen. Just as the police car drove in the ramp to where I was waiting, I remembered that due to a planned drinks party that evening I'd come in by train that day.
Fessed up to the police who were fine; saw the funny side of it. My neck was burning as they drove off and I walked the 500 yards to the station.

I am surprised they did not give you a lift to their 'station' to charge you with wasting police time.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i was sat in the car at a shopping centre when an unknown woman put shopping on the backseat and then got in passenger side. she only clicked it was the wrong car when she realised i wasn't her husband. all very funny at the time but could of been dangerous for her if i was a psychopathic killer

as for senile drivers, i had my spine broken by an 80+ year old on his daily drive home from the british legion after a few pints. enough said

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Haha. It was a rainy sat night,,

My cab turned up and I ran from my front door and jumped in the front passenger seat of a merc,, bloody hell its wet, I said,, take me to the mariners inn I said,,, Driver looked at me,,, the mariners inn I said, don't you know it??

It was then I looked behind me and his wife was sitting in the back with two kids, shitting themselves!!

They were my next door neighbours visitors!! Lol.

Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
1976, picking spuds in Jersey. Got chatting to a bloke in the pub, who offered to loan me his Morriss Minor for the day to take out this bird that I had met in St Helier. Located the motor in the multi-storey where he had left it and had a great day impressing the Jersey bean around the island. Dropped her off home then met him in the pub to take his car back to him. We were discussing his taste in music, based on the cassettes we had found in the car. 'What cassettes' says he. Well the car would, by now, have been reported stolen and the local plod were not kind to grockle's back in those days. So I dropped it outside the car park and went in to find the right car.
'Got away with that one'

Keith :cool:

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I had a very embarassing 'fail' with my car.

My nurse girlfriend was moving to Bath to do her Midwifery course and we had agreed to move in together into a flat that we had rented, but she had not yet told her very strict RC parents.

I was travelling down from London on Christmas Eve evening to the parents place near Bath, so took some boxes of stuff to the flat, unloaded them and took the empties to put in the boot of the BMW, opened it, dropped them in closed the lid - Oh shit! I had dropped the keys with the boxes.

Neither AA nor police with keys could get in - the door locks on that model recessed below the trim and even breaking a window would not have helped as there was a steel plate between rear seats and boot. Of course no BMW agents open.

Had to call girlfriend to come to pick me up and we had to explain why my car was in Bath, as it was not direct route.
Did not make for a very cheery Christmas:(

Geoff

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Haha. It was a rainy sat night,,

My cab turned up and I ran from my front door and jumped in the front passenger seat of a merc,, bloody hell its wet, I said,, take me to the mariners inn I said,,, Driver looked at me,,, the mariners inn I said, don't you know it??

It was then I looked behind me and his wife was sitting in the back with two kids, shitting themselves!!

They were my next door neighbours visitors!! Lol.

Martin had a very drunk man get into the car when he was stopped at traffic lights just outside Carlisle. The drunk fell asleep and woke up a few minutes later ...... "Take me home mate" "You are home" "Right oh" drunk got out and Martin drove off........ I keep the locks on when I am driving.

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
When the Trafford centre first opened in Manchester, I got chatting to Security and he said on average 5 cars a week were reported been stolen - people were going back to the wrong car park and panicking. He Often suggested them waiting until the car parks emptied and then the car would be spotted standing out on its lonesome:D

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
When my father was in his 80’s I didn’t realise how much his eyesight had deteriorated until I was in his passenger seat.

Driving down a busy road he turned right, straight across an oncoming car which only missed us by inches.

When I said “I say, Dad, did you not notice that oncoming vehicle before you executed your manoeuvre “ (or words to that effect). He said “it’s OK. I saw him”.

My reply, “then why the &£#@ did you turn then”.:eek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back