Aspire 215 (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
Anyone own one of these? We have just put a deposit down for a 2012 model, and wondered what others thought of it.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Hi and welcome to Fun, sorry i cant help with your model, but no doubt someone will know of it. A lot of members are away this weekend at Stratford so its a bit quiet on here

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi, and welcome to Fun ..

just had a look at the specs, and a Link Removed..

have you ordered the upgraded model?

If not i would be concerned that the payload is only 240kg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
J
Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
Mass in Running Order3060kgs (60.10cwt)Personal Effects Payload84kgs (1.65cwt)Optional Equipment Payload81kgs (1.59cwt)Conventional Load75kgs (1.47cwt)Max User Payload240kgs (4.71cwt)MTPLM3300kgs (64.82cwt)
MIRO 3060kg
Personal Effects Payload 84Kg
Optional Equipment Payload 81Kg
Conventional Payload 75Kg
Max User Payload 240Kg
MTPLM 3300Kg

These are the weights as stated on the Elddis website. There is a free replating to 3500Kg, which we will, of course, be having done.

That would bring the personal effects payload up to 284Kg. I am still a bit confused about weights (user payload v personal effects payload) etc. We would not be carrying bikes or other very heavy equipment, although an awning has been added free and we would like a solar panel eventually.

Does that sound better? (She hopes :Confused:)

JanettaVienetta

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
With a payload that Low, you need to weight absolutely everything that you put in the van to make sure that you are not overweight. Then you will need to get to a public weighbridge, with the van normally loaded and get it checked. Important to get the individual axle weights checked as it is easy to overload the back end.

In any case, be very aware of "payload creep" whereby bits and pieces get put in the van over a period of time. I have this problem with the OH but fortunately we have about 700kg to play with. Hope that helps

OP
OP
J
Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
Thanks everone for your advice. We are moving to motorhoming from tenting, due to "age restrictions" ::bigsmile:. So we are very used to living lightly but comfortably. Hopefully we can transfer some of these skills to our new motorhome life. If nothing else, the challenge is exciting!

JanettaVienetta

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Thanks everone for your advice. We are moving to motorhoming from tenting, due to "age restrictions" ::bigsmile:. So we are very used to living lightly but comfortably. Hopefully we can transfer some of these skills to our new motorhome life. If nothing else, the challenge is exciting!

JanettaVienetta

Congratulations on your decision to purchase a motorhome.
My only GREAT concern is your payload. If, like all of us, you fit the toys your 284kgs will be gone instantly. To be reasonably happy to tour and take essentials you need at least 350 to 500kgs. The Elddis payload is a joke on a van like the Aspire which is supposed to be a two person tourer. I would check to see if a further upgrade is possible. Most motorhomes are restricted by payload and we are all very wary of this due to the implications with the law makers. It would be best if you studied payloads and decided for yourselves.
Good luck for the future.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
These Aspire vans are well known for having poor payloads. That's why Eldiss had to offer a free upgrade because when the originals were launched, they were almost unusable.
Check very carefully what the MIRO includes. For instance it normally allows 75kg for the driver - if you weigh more than that, it comes off the available payload. Passenger weight also has to be added. The standard MIRO calculation should include: 90% fuel, gas and water, 75 kg driver, EHU cable. Any extras will increase MIRO (and reduce payload). Here are some examples to consider: awning, satellite dish, TV, extra leisure battery, inverter, solar panel, engine upgrade, auto gear-box, tow-bar, bike rack - basically any equipment you want to add that is not included in the standard specification. Also note that you do not normally fill the fuel tank to 90%, neither the gas nor water. As you use the fresh water and it drains into the waste tank, this can move weight backwards (depending on the relative locations of the two tanks) thereby increasing the rear axle load. So if you are near the limit on axle loading to start with, this can tip the balance. If possible, get a van with a decent payload margin to allow for variations in usage. Being 'just OK' may not be OK if the VOSA man decides to check you.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I can't argue with that except that for gas bottles it's 80% not higher, as 'full' actually = 80% for them. So is it actually 90% of 80% they allow, Or What?

Plus we don't know if the OP has eg a dog, cat, rat or parrot, (plus their bed, cage, dish, bowl, lead, bone, toys .....whatever) which would also eat into the payload.

Although I don't weigh more than 75kg, afraid Pete does, collectively we are over 150kg. Just for a lark, I have weighed myself without shoes or coat - 55.7kg. Added shoes and handbag - 58.5kg. Still no coat. All adds up .....

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I can't argue with that except that for gas bottles it's 80% not higher, as 'full' actually = 80% for them. So is it actually 90% of 80% they allow, Or What?

Plus we don't know if the OP has eg a dog, cat, rat or parrot, (plus their bed, cage, dish, bowl, lead, bone, toys .....whatever) which would also eat into the payload.

Although I don't weigh more than 75kg, afraid Pete does, collectively we are over 150kg. Just for a lark, I have weighed myself without shoes or coat - 55.7kg. Added shoes and handbag - 58.5kg. Still no coat. All adds up .....

My understanding is that standard MIRO includes 90% filling of the available capacity, so in the case of gas, it's 90% of 80% of the empty bottle capacity. That would mean in the case of a 13 kg bottle, the actual allowed weight of LPG is 9.36 kg.

Also noted that the Aspire website shows that MIRO assumes a full tank of fuel, not 90%, but gas and water are set at 90% of capacity.

Must say I had never considered the option of making the passenger or driver lighter in order to conserve payload. The prospect of motorhomers routinely travelling starkers but for a handbag or wallet might bring in a whole new group of 'funsters'! :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
J
Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
Thanks for all the food for thought. I guess my main problem will be with "payload creep" (Thanks for that DuxDeluxe). No dog, just a cat, who may or may not be coming with us. If weight is a real problem, he probably will stay at home. Or maybe OH will stay at home instead, depends who is the grumpiest :roflmto:

JanettaVienetta

Jay2015

Free Member
Jan 30, 2015
Manchester
Funster No
MH
"Just looking"
Exp
5 yrs Talbot Express
Think I read somewhere there is a paperwork exercise, where you can upgrade the payload on Elddis. might worth looking into.

If i come across the link again I will post it.

Jay.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Think I read somewhere there is a paperwork exercise, where you can upgrade the payload on Elddis. might worth looking into.

If i come across the link again I will post it.

Jay.
As a new member you are excused the usual banter......but this thread is dated june 2012 and the problem will have been sorted by now.

Deleted User
Whilst the payload may be suitable for yourselves perhaps you should think about the situation if you decide to sell the MH at a later date. The restrictions may well put off other buyers and it could make it difficult to sell.

Deleted User
Puzzled how it got into the 'recent' postings section

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
What is 'necroposting' and what does it mean?

"necroposting "

when you are about to post your opinion on a thread, be sure to check the date that the thread was created and then check the dates of the other people who have posted. If someone necroposted, refrain from posting after them!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back