Asda parking (1 Viewer)

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Just been reading Don Madge's post on C1 test and noticed this further down the page Here

Motorhomes not welcome at Asda?

We hear that, after receiving a £60 parking 'fine' for not parking his campervan exactly within a parking bay at the Weston super Mare branch of Asda, the owner appealed to the customer services at the store but was was told 'if you can't park in the bay don't stop'.
Quite a contrast to Asda's parent company Walmart's policy of letting motorhomes stay overnight on the parking lots of it's stores in America.

Thats nice of them, look what they allow in america:thumb:

walmart-rv-overnight-parking-.jpg

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
More exciting on that link is the now in force price cap on mobile roaming.

Not good for the service providers ::bigsmile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi Brian
Yes lots of good information on there:thumb:

I should have said "thanks" above, I don't recall ever having seen that site before. Nice easy to read format.

Like TyrePal, puts Jim's to shame, at a price. Main thing is you get to know you are in trouble on the move, that will save you from a blow out from that big nail or de-lamination on the road.

So many useful sites, we could be reading 24/7.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
tyre pal is crap compared to what i have. internal wheel sensor's not screw on caps,fitted as an after market product,with real time monitoring you can watch the tyre presure increase slightly as the tyres get warm,but jim's are great for the price and for easy checking before you set off anywere:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
tyre pal is crap compared to what i have. internal wheel sensor's not screw on caps,fitted as an after market product,with real time monitoring you can watch the tyre presure increase slightly as the tyres get warm,but jim's are great for the price and for easy checking before you set off anywere:thumb:
Wait until you start having problems with it Chris.

they work on 433mhz...along with just about every childs wireless toy..... so are susceptible to RF interference.

i have them as standard on my Chrysler and they are nowt but trouble, i need two new ones and the cheapest are £66 each.

the tyres are set at 2.7bar, by accurate pressure gauge, yet it tells me they are under-inflated one minute (by as much as .5bar) and normal the next....even one of the rears which have had the sensors removed (physically broken)

believe me, if it was possible to over-ride/remove the system i would....but it aint so i'm stuck with it (part of the vehicle safety electrical system)

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
I should have said "thanks" above, I don't recall ever having seen that site before. Nice easy to read format.

Like TyrePal, puts Jim's to shame, at a price. Main thing is you get to know you are in trouble on the move, that will save you from a blow out from that big nail or de-lamination on the road.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I might get blacklisted or summit:cry:for advertizin

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!

Nice ::bigsmile::winky:

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!

Thank Don Madge here not me:Blush:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Why not take it up with the store manager I am sure he/she would love to know that their poor attitude is not going out to forum readers.

The story was posted on another forum on July 2nd, though no comment was made about having contacted customer services. I recommended the next day
It may be worth sending an e-mail to Asda CEO Andy Clarke (andy.clarke@asda.co.uk) pointing out that the company will lose out if it applies the "lines" restriction (as opposed to going over time &c) to motorhomes and asking for the rules to be changed.
In the absence of any further post on the other forum it is not clear whether he took further action.

N.B. I'm pretty sure Andy Clarke at Asda and the extremely knowledgeable Andy Clarke of UK Motorhomes are two different people ::bigsmile:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Why not take it up with the store manager I am sure he/she would love to know that their poor attitude is not going out to forum readers.
As a regular happy Asda shopper there is nothing I hate more than selfish parking. I agree with the quote, if you cant park in the bay provided then leave it to someone who can. :Eeek:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Sorry Buttons but I have to disagree, firms like Asda / Tesco should have extra long bays specified for motorhomes if they do not want them to overhang.

A lot of foreign visitors use these supermarkets for their shopping as well as UK motorhomes touring out of there area, if we could not park at one of the big supermarkets, I would find this a rule to far.

I shall be inquiring at our local Asda, though there is often Motorhomes taking up two bays with out any trouble.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Sorry Buttons but I have to disagree, firms like Asda / Tesco should have extra long bays specified for motorhomes if they do not want them to overhang.

A lot of foreign visitors use these supermarkets for their shopping as well as UK motorhomes touring out of there area, if we could not park at one of the big supermarkets, I would find this a rule to far.

I shall be inquiring at our local Asda, though there is often Motorhomes taking up two bays with out any trouble.
Better ask Tesco, Morrisons, Sainsbury, Aldi, Iceland etc etc. as I've not seen lorry bays in any of them. However, if you park sensibly as far from the door as possible I'm sure there will be some empty bays to use that wont affect their regular shoppers.:whatthe:

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Adsa

Better ask Tesco, Morrisons, Sainsbury, Aldi, Iceland etc etc. as I've not seen lorry bays in any of them. However, if you park sensibly as far from the door as possible I'm sure there will be some empty bays to use that wont affect their regular shoppers.:whatthe:

You are right about the parking. However it's the attitude I would take exception to. It is also of course more difficult for larger Motorhomes ( which is why we have a 21 foot one) we find it fine to park in normal bays but I often wonder if parent and child, dissabled spaces can be provided, why not just a few for larger Motorhomes. Seems a simple enough request to me which might just be taken up by supermarkets if they thought it would attract custom

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)

We always park on the edge with our tail end overhanging the grass edge or something, so usually alright, its the principle I don't like. Just another rule, we find motorhomes usually park out of the way of normal shoppers as they don't want their vans knocked.:Smile:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Ive yet to pull into a supermarket car park where you cannot find room out of the way to park. When on a trip, we may decide to have lunch in the van as well, so dont want disturbing...never a problem.
we recently went to Broadstairs with three of our grankids in the van. There is a VERY small car park, remembering stories on here about people getting fined for exceeding bays, I took two bays and paid for them. I explained to the wife, that i,m sure i had heard that some had still been fines...but hey ho.
When we returned, an inspector was in the car park, and another small car had taken advantage of the space remaining in the seconfd of my spaces and parked in it!!
Nothing was said that day, nor the next day when i did it again.

On a similar note, its worth remembering, that from Oct 1st, clamping by private forms on private land is illegal I believe. It can still be done my local authorities and hospitals etc,......but as fat as supermarkets go......1) they cant clamp you 2) Ignore any tickets received, they are not legally enforcable.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We always park on the edge with our tail end overhanging the grass edge or something, so usually alright, its the principle I don't like. Just another rule, we find motorhomes usually park out of the way of normal shoppers as they don't want their vans knocked.:Smile:

Couldn't agree more with you Carol. We were in our nearest Tesco a couple of weeks back, we had to park taking two lengthways space, if you know what I mean one behind the other. By the time we came back out there was another mh an Autotrail and a little vw campervan either side of us.
We weren't blocking anyone and had all parked sensibly, but unless we have longer bays provided we have no option but to take up a double-length bay.
We're 23ft 9ins and always try to park at the far end of any car park,(out of harms way), but hearing stories like this really annoys us. We spend between £80 and £100 everytime we visit Tesco, so I'm afraid if there was any trouble with us parking there I would have a lot to say to the store manager:Angry:
I notice any little old ladies in their late 70's and 80's who "abandon" rather than park their cars don't seem to upset anyone:Doh:
Margaret

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Supermarkets - and other shops - provide parking spaces for their customers - i.e. short term parking. In my experience (physically and by enquiry) I have found no problem with motorhomes (and commercial vans come to that) straddling bay lines so long as no obstruction or danger to other car park users is caused.

As others have said, we tend to park away from the shop, in less used areas, just to try to make sure we cause no obstruction.

Unfortunately, in the last few years, some supermarkets &c have found that some of their car parks have become abused by people wanting to park long term. That will mainly be commuters but, in some cases, motorhome owners are also "guilty" especially if the car park isn't all that long a walk from town (where any available spaces would have to be paid for). That has led to customers being discouraged so the car park owners have responded by introducing restrictions. Generally restrictions take the form of a time limit. Personally, I can see no problem with time limits but I think restrictions on bay usage (assuming no obstruction/danger) are less justified. I would suggest that anyone who identifies bay usage restrictions should send an e-mail to the CEO of the company concerned (most, if not all, contact details can be found at Link Removed) asking that the restriction be removed because it is in the company's interest as well as that of the MH owner.

On the general principle of paying for each space taken up in local authority car parks, the rules vary between authorities. Some are happy with it and some are not - always best to make sure before parking.

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
Never seen any signs to the effect regarding using more than one space if your vehicle is too large to fit in a standard bay on any supermarket car park, would have if I had been
shopping in said supermarket, demanded to see store manager and have him personally show me were his signs are displayed forbidding me to use his car park with my vehicle, for my legitimate shopping trip.
I would then have demanded an apology. Returned the shopping and asked for a full refund.
Before I shoved his parking ticket up his jacksie!

regards
Steve:thumb:

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
Don't shop at ASDA . I haven't for the past 7 years after an issue concerning the display of my mother's blue badge. Leaving aside the rights and wrongs(I was right of course:Smile:) of these situations their attitude stinks. Out of the millions of customers they get every week the loss of one or even one thousand will not cause them any discomfort but I certainly feel better knowing they get none of my money.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Couldn't agree more with you Carol. We were in our nearest Tesco a couple of weeks back, we had to park taking two lengthways space, if you know what I mean one behind the other. By the time we came back out there was another mh an Autotrail and a little vw campervan either side of us.
We weren't blocking anyone and had all parked sensibly, but unless we have longer bays provided we have no option but to take up a double-length bay.
We're 23ft 9ins and always try to park at the far end of any car park,(out of harms way), but hearing stories like this really annoys us. We spend between £80 and £100 everytime we visit Tesco, so I'm afraid if there was any trouble with us parking there I would have a lot to say to the store manager:Angry:
[HI]I notice any little old ladies in their late 70's and 80's who "abandon" rather than park their cars don't seem to upset anyone[/HI]:Doh:
Margaret
That's very bitchy Margaret. Are you suggesting that the elderly masses should be barred from driving to the supermarkets just to appease the half a dozen motorhomes who use Asda car park each year. :RollEyes:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
That's very bitchy Margaret. Are you suggesting that the elderly masses should be barred from driving to the supermarkets just to appease the[HI] half a dozen motorhomes[/HI] who use Asda car park each year. :RollEyes:

No actually I'm not suggesting that for one minute, nor were my comments meant to be "bitchy" (Personal Attack??) but were based on how I notice very elderly people parking at supermarkets.

We live in a tourist area and there are always a lot motorhomes in our local Tesco, Aldi and other larger supermarket car parks throughout the year. So certainly a lot more than just half a dozen motorhomes. Also, given the fact that we spend more on each visit to these supermarkets than the average "little old lady" shopping for a loaf, pint of milk and a newspaper, then surely we are entitled to park where we can do so safely within the car park of our chosen supermarket. Should it ever get to the stage where we are told that we cannot park within our local Tesco, we will spend our money elsewhere.

Anyway, the "little old ladies" that we know are more inclined to shop locally at smaller stores and not venture out of town to large supermarkets.
Sorry if you were offended by my comments, I assumed you were male and not a little old lady:roflmto:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I park in supermarket car parks all the time (fulltimer) never had an issue ever. Half the time I don't even get a ticket because I don't have change and by the time I have queued to get change to get a ticket I could have shopped and queued...

Off topic but picture relating to parking :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• blondes-dumb-blonde-demotivational-poster-1260081209.jpg
    blondes-dumb-blonde-demotivational-poster-1260081209.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 35

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
(snip)
We live in a tourist area and there are always a lot motorhomes in our local Tesco, Aldi and other larger supermarket car parks throughout the year. So certainly a lot more than just half a dozen motorhomes. Also, given the fact that we spend more on each visit to these supermarkets than the average "little old lady" shopping for a loaf, pint of milk and a newspaper, then surely we are entitled to park where we can do so safely within the car park of our chosen supermarket. Should it ever get to the stage where we are told that we cannot park within our local Tesco, we will spend our money elsewhere.
(snip)

I don't know what the Asda branch mentioned in the OP was thinking about, which is why I recommended e-mailing the CEO. Most supermarkets (all we have experienced so far) have no problem with large vehicles parking so long as it is sensibly done. Certainly, if told I couldn't park in a certain place then I, too, would go elsewhere to shop - and make sure the company knew why I was doing so.

Having said that, entitlement is the wrong word - like anyone else we use car parks by invitation, according to the owner's rules. For instance, we have used several Tesco car parks in the van with no problems whatsoever but I would never attempt to use the van at our local Tesco as the layout would make it difficult to manoeuvre and it is often busy enough to make parking in a car difficult enough. Tesco seem to have designed that car park very well for their purpose of getting as many people as possible into their shop and I don't suppose for one minute they would bother about me not being able to take the van there :Smile:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
No actually I'm not suggesting that for one minute, nor were my comments meant to be "bitchy" [HI](Personal Attack??)[/HI] but were based on how I notice very elderly people parking at supermarkets.
My reference to bitchy as you are fully aware MHV was directed at your comment re old ladies, not a personal attack. If you feel that you have been personally attacked then I suggest that you report me for an infringement of the rule.:Nowink:

Anyway, the "little old ladies" that we know are more inclined to shop locally at smaller stores and not venture out of town to large supermarkets.
Sorry if you were offended by my comments, I assumed you were male and not a little old lady:roflmto:
:whatthe:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011

Quoted from your earlier post:- "That's very bitchy Margaret" can only mean one thing to my mind and that is that you have inferred that I am the one who is being bitchy.
So why you think I am "fully aware" of what you meant is beyond me:whatthe:
Your comments were vague at best and certainly not specific, you have only now decided to qualify your comments as a result of my coming back to you. So perhaps in future, don't assume that everyone is "fully aware" of what you mean, be more specific.
With regards to this being a "personal attack" towards me, you have obviously decided to tailor your response to one that excuses of you of deeming to have made a "personal attack".
Margaret

UKMotorhomes

Free Member
Mar 6, 2011
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
4x4 camper truck
Exp
More than 30!
N.B. I'm pretty sure Andy Clarke at Asda and the extremely knowledgeable Andy Clarke of UK Motorhomes are two different people ::bigsmile:
Quite so - not even related, as far as I know. Not sure about being extremely knowledgeable though... ::bigsmile:

Andy Clarke (the UKMotorhomes one)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back