Asda parking

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by wizzer59, Sep 1, 2012.

1. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Just been reading Don Madge's post on C1 test and noticed this further down the page Here

Motorhomes not welcome at Asda?

We hear that, after receiving a £60 parking 'fine' for not parking his campervan exactly within a parking bay at the Weston super Mare branch of Asda, the owner appealed to the customer services at the store but was was told 'if you can't park in the bay don't stop'.
    Quite a contrast to Asda's parent company Walmart's policy of letting motorhomes stay overnight on the parking lots of it's stores in America.

Thats nice of them, look what they allow in america:thumb:

[​IMG]

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

More exciting on that link is the now in force price cap on mobile roaming.

Not good for the service providers :BigGrin:

3. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Hi Brian
    Yes lots of good information on there:thumb:

4. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I should have said "thanks" above, I don't recall ever having seen that site before. Nice easy to read format.

Like TyrePal, puts Jim's to shame, at a price. Main thing is you get to know you are in trouble on the move, that will save you from a blow out from that big nail or de-lamination on the road.

So many useful sites, we could be reading 24/7.

5. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Asda

Why not take it up with the store manager I am sure he/she would love to know that their poor attitude is not going out to forum readers.

6. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

tyre pal is crap compared to what i have. internal wheel sensor's not screw on caps,fitted as an after market product,with real time monitoring you can watch the tyre presure increase slightly as the tyres get warm,but jim's are great for the price and for easy checking before you set off anywere:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Wait until you start having problems with it Chris.

they work on 433mhz...along with just about every childs wireless toy..... so are susceptible to RF interference.

i have them as standard on my Chrysler and they are nowt but trouble, i need two new ones and the cheapest are £66 each.

the tyres are set at 2.7bar, by accurate pressure gauge, yet it tells me they are under-inflated one minute (by as much as .5bar) and normal the next....even one of the rears which have had the sensors removed (physically broken)

believe me, if it was possible to over-ride/remove the system i would....but it aint so i'm stuck with it (part of the vehicle safety electrical system)

8. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I might get blacklisted or summit:cry:for advertizin

9. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Nice :BigGrin::Wink:

10. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Thank Don Madge here not me:Blush:

11. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

The story was posted on another forum on July 2nd, though no comment was made about having contacted customer services. I recommended the next day
    In the absence of any further post on the other forum it is not clear whether he took further action.

N.B. I'm pretty sure Andy Clarke at Asda and the extremely knowledgeable Andy Clarke of UK Motorhomes are two different people :BigGrin:

12. buttons

buttons Funster

As a regular happy Asda shopper there is nothing I hate more than selfish parking. I agree with the quote, if you cant park in the bay provided then leave it to someone who can. :Eeek:

13. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Sorry Buttons but I have to disagree, firms like Asda / Tesco should have extra long bays specified for motorhomes if they do not want them to overhang.

A lot of foreign visitors use these supermarkets for their shopping as well as UK motorhomes touring out of there area, if we could not park at one of the big supermarkets, I would find this a rule to far.

I shall be inquiring at our local Asda, though there is often Motorhomes taking up two bays with out any trouble.

• Like Like x 3
  14. buttons

buttons Funster

Better ask Tesco, Morrisons, Sainsbury, Aldi, Iceland etc etc. as I've not seen lorry bays in any of them. However, if you park sensibly as far from the door as possible I'm sure there will be some empty bays to use that wont affect their regular shoppers.:Eek!:

15. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Adsa

You are right about the parking. However it's the attitude I would take exception to. It is also of course more difficult for larger Motorhomes ( which is why we have a 21 foot one) we find it fine to park in normal bays but I often wonder if parent and child, dissabled spaces can be provided, why not just a few for larger Motorhomes. Seems a simple enough request to me which might just be taken up by supermarkets if they thought it would attract custom

16. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

We always park on the edge with our tail end overhanging the grass edge or something, so usually alright, its the principle I don't like. Just another rule, we find motorhomes usually park out of the way of normal shoppers as they don't want their vans knocked.:Smile:

• Like Like x 3
  17. darklord

darklord Read Only Funster

Ive yet to pull into a supermarket car park where you cannot find room out of the way to park. When on a trip, we may decide to have lunch in the van as well, so dont want disturbing...never a problem.
    we recently went to Broadstairs with three of our grankids in the van. There is a VERY small car park, remembering stories on here about people getting fined for exceeding bays, I took two bays and paid for them. I explained to the wife, that i,m sure i had heard that some had still been fines...but hey ho.
    When we returned, an inspector was in the car park, and another small car had taken advantage of the space remaining in the seconfd of my spaces and parked in it!!
    Nothing was said that day, nor the next day when i did it again.

On a similar note, its worth remembering, that from Oct 1st, clamping by private forms on private land is illegal I believe. It can still be done my local authorities and hospitals etc,......but as fat as supermarkets go......1) they cant clamp you 2) Ignore any tickets received, they are not legally enforcable.

• Like Like x 1
  18. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Couldn't agree more with you Carol. We were in our nearest Tesco a couple of weeks back, we had to park taking two lengthways space, if you know what I mean one behind the other. By the time we came back out there was another mh an Autotrail and a little vw campervan either side of us.
    We weren't blocking anyone and had all parked sensibly, but unless we have longer bays provided we have no option but to take up a double-length bay.
    We're 23ft 9ins and always try to park at the far end of any car park,(out of harms way), but hearing stories like this really annoys us. We spend between £80 and £100 everytime we visit Tesco, so I'm afraid if there was any trouble with us parking there I would have a lot to say to the store manager:Angry:
    I notice any little old ladies in their late 70's and 80's who "abandon" rather than park their cars don't seem to upset anyone:Doh:
    Margaret

• Like Like x 3
  19. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Supermarkets - and other shops - provide parking spaces for their customers - i.e. short term parking. In my experience (physically and by enquiry) I have found no problem with motorhomes (and commercial vans come to that) straddling bay lines so long as no obstruction or danger to other car park users is caused.

As others have said, we tend to park away from the shop, in less used areas, just to try to make sure we cause no obstruction.

Unfortunately, in the last few years, some supermarkets &c have found that some of their car parks have become abused by people wanting to park long term. That will mainly be commuters but, in some cases, motorhome owners are also "guilty" especially if the car park isn't all that long a walk from town (where any available spaces would have to be paid for). That has led to customers being discouraged so the car park owners have responded by introducing restrictions. Generally restrictions take the form of a time limit. Personally, I can see no problem with time limits but I think restrictions on bay usage (assuming no obstruction/danger) are less justified. I would suggest that anyone who identifies bay usage restrictions should send an e-mail to the CEO of the company concerned (most, if not all, contact details can be found at http://www.ceoemail.com/) asking that the restriction be removed because it is in the company's interest as well as that of the MH owner.

On the general principle of paying for each space taken up in local authority car parks, the rules vary between authorities. Some are happy with it and some are not - always best to make sure before parking.

• Like Like x 1
  20. spannermanwigan

spannermanwigan Read Only Funster

Never seen any signs to the effect regarding using more than one space if your vehicle is too large to fit in a standard bay on any supermarket car park, would have if I had been
    shopping in said supermarket, demanded to see store manager and have him personally show me were his signs are displayed forbidding me to use his car park with my vehicle, for my legitimate shopping trip.
    I would then have demanded an apology. Returned the shopping and asked for a full refund.
    Before I shoved his parking ticket up his jacksie!

regards
    Steve:thumb:

• Like Like x 5