asda engine oil

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by poppys, Jun 10, 2013.

1. poppys

poppys Read Only Funster

I need to do an oil change ,Asda do a 5-40 fully synthetic oil 5 Ltrs for £20, has anyone used this and/or comments please.Seems a good price.

2. stevensson10

stevensson10

asda oil

one answer to this . its CRAP allways use a brand name never use cheap tat. it could cost you a lot of money if you do i.e. a new engine steve

3. chaser

chaser Funster

While I agree with you totally and wouldn't buy it, BUT what is the difference, same numbers and that, how can it be different

4. steveclecy

steveclecy Read Only Funster

I would be surprised if a company like ASDA would risk litigation for supplying poor quality products.

It should show specification on the bottle. Compare with your handbook.

Personally I would change an inexpensive oil more frequently than a major branded one.

Steve

• Like Like x 3
  5. vwalan

vwalan Funster

i bought some 10x40 semi synthetic from asda a couple of years ago .at 6quid for 4 liters .it was on special .i took ten lots of it . run ll my vehicles on it . find my truck used none on the winter trip around spain and portugal . even the m,bikes seem to be holding the correct amount . seems to be working fine .would love to know who makes it for them . but if it goes on special again i shall buy again.

• Like Like x 3
  6. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

it should ideally be to fiat spec....in particular the part highlighted in red

SAE 10W-40
    - API CD/SF
    - ACEA B3
    - FIAT 9.555.35-D2

if you have a DPF then any other spec may be harmful.

Long gone are the days when any old 10/40 oil would do

7. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

8. stevensson10

stevensson10

oil

the more expensive oil is more refined allthogh the potency or numbers as you call is about the same the brand names are given regular testings and refining and make sure the oil also cleans your engine as it drives the cheap ones don't their just canned or bottled whatever and sold on so don't buy cheap crap regards steve:thumb:

9. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

So where do these Asda "branded" oils actually come from before they are canned or bottled? On what evidence can you call the Asda oil "crap". Is there a technical specification for crap oil..

Some Asda value products (beans, cornflakes etc) also actually come from the main "branded" manufacturers.

We frequently carry high value refined oils and lube additives, such as transformer oils, etc. which we load from the same specific refineries. We have to undertake high spec (ppm) laboratory analytical testing of the cleanliness of our stainless steel tanks before we can even carry these products.
    We then deliver these oils to various receivers who just "supply" the product without any additives or treatments and they change their brand name, however the shipping name is identical.

Some people alternate between branded and budget oils, others change more frequently. It's called choice.
    As said earlier, if you are happy to pay more for the "name" do so. This is not just an oil thing, it's everything in life.

:Smile:

• Like Like x 8
  10. vwalan

vwalan Funster

so far i,m pleased with the asda oil . i have also ran lidl,s oil . its ok . i always ran morris oils or quantum from vw. just happened to see this as shopping and thought thats cheap. been running it and changed oil filters as normal.
    i used to buy big drums when i had the garage either from morris ,s or vw . carried on with it when i closed the garage .but as a special . whooppppeee.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  11. Shuggy68

Shuggy68

just read a post on about asda engine oil some ppl saying its crap?oil comes out the same ground as any other oil I cant beleave ppl don't know that if u just make sure u have the right grade it will be fine:Doh:

• Like Like x 4
  12. chaser

chaser Funster

I always buy unbranded ,products like flour and bread and milk and other things like that how can flour be different , it's ground up wheat, how can you make grinding wheat 4times as much, milk is milk full stop, bread is flour yeast salt and water how can you make it different, and oil is oil as far as I can tell but must confess I haven't had the balls to try it as the consequences could be dire.

• Like Like x 1
  13. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

Its just the additives the major brands use. Castrol and Duckham came out of the same refinery,Castrol used different additives. I changed to using Castrols 'new' oil GTX on my Lotus Cortina and I am convinced it ruined it causing excessive wear on the bearings,but I had now method of proving it.

14. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Callumwa,

I've been one of the poor sods doing the wall washes on chemical tanker tanks and loaded/discharged loads of lubes and additives in my time in the field. One of my jobs looking after our marine services is used lube oil analysis (including upper cylinder drains - you know what I mean)using very high tech equipment You are right. Here are couple of facts:

Most lube oils have the same blend of base stocks with a few additives put in. Branded lube oils to say API SG grade are functionally the same as non branded oils to the same spec. It is the same as gasoline or diesel from supermarkets - you pays yer money and takes yer choice. Personally, if it met the spec then I would use it.

One thing it certainly is not is Crap........ Do people seriously think that a company would knowingly sell a substandard oil which could damage engines and result in lawsuits/trading standards etc etc all in their faces? No, of course not.

By the way, we analyse over 600,000 used lube oil samples a year..........

• Like Like x 5
  15. DuxDeluxe

Spot on there Shuggy. :thumb:

It is a bit more complicated than that as a lot of oil is now synthesised rather than off a distillation column as in the good old days, but basically right. It has to be certified to meet a spec.

16. duane0001

duane0001 Read Only Funster

Watch your van does not "Roll Back" with the asda oil in it :Laughing:

• Like Like x 6
  17. Deckard

Deckard Read Only Funster

Brand snobbery....nothing more.

If anyone can demonstrate scientifically, I am all ears... the rest is psychological guff.

You are conditioned from birth that spending more on a brand is better. You are sold to and conditioned all your lives, through media branding and value "propositions".
    So unless you have some tricked out motor, running massive boost and whacky compression rates, I seriously doubt Asda 5/40 will be perform any different from Castrol 5/40....if you do have that tricked out motor, can I have a go? !

Can you imagine the damages lawyers getting a sniff of this if it was "crap"?

I've been putting "cheap" oil in the companies cars for 4 years....no problems. My mechanic dont like it, because I am not buying his stuff...mind you, I also buy high value parts from ebay too...no problems, 4 cars (all different) doing 8-12k miles a year...from a 1998 corsa to a 2007 Hyundai

...if i didnt do this, I would go hungry :cry::cry:

• Like Like x 3
  18. callumwa

:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Do you mean you were one of those B*****d surveyors who failed my immaculate tanks when I was Chief Mate, just because the suppliers did not have their product ready.....:Wink::Wink:

:BigGrin::BigGrin::BigGrin:

19. DuxDeluxe

If you ever loaded MEG or methanol in the Middle East in the late 80's then YES it woz me wot sent you back out to anchorage for another weeks tank cleaning. Nothing like a poacher turned gamekeeper, is there? :Laughing:

Drive a desk nowadays but loved it as a surveyor and as mate on gas ships before then. Now look after developing services to shipowners which has its own challenges (everyone likes the US dollar but only shipowners love the cent!)

Edit: actually, it wasn't much fun wall washing the "Bow Sun" in Bahrain in August with 47 degrees C and 90% humidity prior to loading methanol when one of the critical tests was water content and the other was sodium content. Rose tinted spectacles!

• Like Like x 1
  20. callumwa

Spec is spec....... You can choose what price you want to pay for the same product.

I would rather make and educated decision and go for the cheapest product with the same spec.

:thumb:

:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 2