Free Member
Oct 5, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class bessy E560
Exp
Getting the hang of it
As this will be our 1st time out in our 1st m/h in a couple of weeks time:Smile:, what is the 1st things you do when you have parked up? (I mean setting the van up::bigsmile:). As we haven't been in this situation before it would be nice to know of the sequence you guys go through:Smile:. Many thanks for all your input.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
To be honest one of the joys of motorhoming is the lack of setting up needed. When we arrive anywhere it's a case of, handbrake on, kettle on. Depending on the situation I may have filled with water en route to pitch. Once stopped, if hookup available plug in and that's about it.:thumb:

Wyn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
As this will be our 1st time out in our 1st m/h in a couple of weeks time:Smile:, what is the 1st things you do when you have parked up? (I mean setting the van up::bigsmile:). As we haven't been in this situation before it would be nice to know of the sequence you guys go through:Smile:. Many thanks for all your input.

Well here's what I do. Turn gas on, get the chair & table out. Open a beer and sit and watch the caravanners work hard to set up. :Cool:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
ICANTREMEMBER put it far more succinctly than me. :Doh:
Not so much in this country but on the continent it means that you can forget the campsite mentality and just meander arround and find an Aire to overnight with a minimum of packing and unpacking. The overcab bed is always made up ready to drop into when ready. No stowing away of bedding. Just put away loose items from around the van and drive on. :thumb: To me that's what motorhoming is all about.

Wyn

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
CONNECT HOOK-UP

GAS ON AT BOTTLE

FRIDGE ON 240v OR GAS

WATER HEATER ON ELECTRIC OR GAS

ZIG ON FOR 12v

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Well here's what I do. Turn gas on, get the chair & table out. Open a beer and sit and watch the caravanners work hard to set up. :Cool:

and when you go out for the day.. ?

.. reverse the process , pack up the EHU (don't forget to wipe it when it's muddy) .. empty the waste, put away all loose items.. dismantle Safari room and roll in the awning.. pack away the level ramps.. stow table and chairs ... turn off gas.. . don't forget to put a 'pitch reserved' sign up..

while the caravanner jumps into his luxury car.. :Cool:

when you come back... some bar steward caravanner has thrown your sign in the hedge and nicked your pitch :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
my agenda.....

Park on pitch.
Level up.
Hookup (if available)
Beer/coffee
Awning/slide out
Set up sat dish.

Unfortunately this never happens in a short timescale as theres always someone wants a chinwag and can take ages.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
First job ,take dogs for a walk and have a look round ,Then windbreaker round van to keep dogs safe whilst kettle boils.lol:winky:

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Handbrake
Automatic hydraulic levelling using remote control [smiles smugly]
Gas on at bottle
Fridge to gas/electric
EHU in or Truma gas cover off

Job done.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Handbrake
[HI]Automatic hydraulic levelling using remote control [smiles smugly][/HI]
Gas on at bottle
Fridge to gas/electric
EHU in or Truma gas cover off

Job done.

As above but replace boring old automatic levelling with 'extract levelling blocks from locker, seek out hottest single male motorhomer on site, ask to supervise while I drive onto blocks'. Good way of making friends! ::bigsmile:

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
One thing to remember, water , before pitching & levelling up and settling down ensure you've filled water tank if needed as having to move the van back to the tap or hauling water in containers to the van can be a pain !!
When we first started motorhoming many years ago on our first few trips made a check list with things we felt necessary and added to the list with things we'd forgot or didn't do in the correct order, we then made a similar list of what we needed to do on packing up leaving site, after several trips it all became second nature ,( doesn't mean we don't occasionally make the odd mistake especially with the water!!!!) Never rush it ( other than getting the kettle on ).
:sin:Terry:sin:

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Turn round the captains chairs,
hook up and fill water if necessary and on a site.
If nice put chairs out
get out wine, or brew up
If resorting to TV tune in about 2 hours later! Don't use it often.

Packing the MH is very important, we use none slip matting, tea towels, muggi's, canvas storage bags etc and everything has a padded place that it returns to ......this makes leaving a doddle .....then you only have to

open taps to empty waste, leave rubbish and recycling on pitch so locals can deal with it.... Empty toilet in hedge......

I am joking with the last bit:ROFLMAO: always leave everything at least as clean as you found it and support the local economies then they wont mind you visiting. :thumb:

keep it simple less hassle less stress.::bigsmile:

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We do this, before we go we fill with water/gas.

We arrive, park so the hab door side is where we want it, level blocks if needed but mostly don't bother. steadies down, gas on in locker (remove cowl from van side otherwise your gas won't work).

Connect to EHU if using. Switch fridge to either gas or electric.

Turn on power at controller, put on internal pump for water use (switch water heater on if needed).

Turn on heater if required.

Chill out and enjoy yourselves.

We are relatively new but it's amazing how quickly it becomes second nature. :thumb:

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
I have printed a card with things on it to check, before driving off, I am still a newbie, ::bigsmile: put it on a cord and it hangs from the steering wheel., check EHU disconnected,
Waste water tank empty
Fresh water tank full
Gas off,
Toilet flap closed and Cassette empty
Locker doors closed
Fridge on 12 volt
Nothing loose in habitation area, everything secure
Step in
check pitch that you haven`t left anything
Rubbish in bins

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I don't do many of those things.
Once stationary.
1. Plug in ehu if there is one, if not ignore step 1:Smile:
2. Kettle on/or bottle opener/corkscrew.:drink:

I travel with things like the water pump on, and the gas also on (Secumotion) so stopping for coffee etc greatly simplified. Never bother with levelling unless things slide off the table, and never put steadies down (having once forgotten to put them up before leaving)
Losing a pitch is rarely a problem as when I leave somewhere it's because I'm going somewhere else.

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
[HI]Never bother with levelling[/HI] unless things slide off the table, and never put steadies down (having once forgotten to put them up before leaving).

We only ever tried levelling once, in three and a half years, and the 'van slipped off the back of the ramps and the lower end of one of them got embedded in the wheel arch! We had to dig a hole around the ramp to get it out again. So, that was the first and only time that we have used levelling ramps and have never had any problems as we always make sure that we get a fairly level pitch. We have air suspension on the 'van so, if necessary, adjust that. Yesterday we were decluttering and we took the ramps out of the 'van as they take up too much space.

Jan1ce

Free Member
Feb 7, 2014
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Low profi
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for all that, we are setting off on Saturday in our first van on our first adventure. So welcome all your good advice.:thumb:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
By the time we arrive we have usually fell out over the "Navigators" directions and its very quiet for a bit:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
as all the rest of the funsters.but don't forget the corkscrew,and bottleopener.and of course the drinks to go with them.but don't forget the other funsters will help in way that they can.have fun.:thumb::thumb:

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
How exciting, have fun first adventure of many.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Margaret