As a first timer

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Builder147, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Builder147

Builder147 Funster

As this will be our 1st time out in our 1st m/h in a couple of weeks time:Smile:, what is the 1st things you do when you have parked up? (I mean setting the van up:BigGrin:). As we haven't been in this situation before it would be nice to know of the sequence you guys go through:Smile:. Many thanks for all your input.

2. icantremember

icantremember Funster

1)Handbrake
    2)Kettle or cork screw:thumb:

• Like Like x 4
  3. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

To be honest one of the joys of motorhoming is the lack of setting up needed. When we arrive anywhere it's a case of, handbrake on, kettle on. Depending on the situation I may have filled with water en route to pitch. Once stopped, if hookup available plug in and that's about it.:thumb:

Wyn

• Like Like x 1
  4. Clive

Clive Funster Life Member

Well here's what I do. Turn gas on, get the chair & table out. Open a beer and sit and watch the caravanners work hard to set up. :Cool:

• Like Like x 4
  5. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

ICANTREMEMBER put it far more succinctly than me. :Doh:
    Not so much in this country but on the continent it means that you can forget the campsite mentality and just meander arround and find an Aire to overnight with a minimum of packing and unpacking. The overcab bed is always made up ready to drop into when ready. No stowing away of bedding. Just put away loose items from around the van and drive on. :thumb: To me that's what motorhoming is all about.

Wyn

• Like Like x 5
  6. Rob and Val

Rob and Val Funster

7. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

and when you go out for the day.. ?

.. reverse the process , pack up the EHU (don't forget to wipe it when it's muddy) .. empty the waste, put away all loose items.. dismantle Safari room and roll in the awning.. pack away the level ramps.. stow table and chairs ... turn off gas.. . don't forget to put a 'pitch reserved' sign up..

while the caravanner jumps into his luxury car.. :Cool:

when you come back... some bar steward caravanner has thrown your sign in the hedge and nicked your pitch :Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 2
  8. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

my agenda.....

Park on pitch.
    Level up.
    Hookup (if available)
    Beer/coffee
    Awning/slide out
    Set up sat dish.

Unfortunately this never happens in a short timescale as theres always someone wants a chinwag and can take ages.

9. treetops1

treetops1 Funster

First job ,take dogs for a walk and have a look round ,Then windbreaker round van to keep dogs safe whilst kettle boils.lol:Wink:

• Like Like x 1
  10. ericonabike

ericonabike Read Only Funster

Handbrake
    Automatic hydraulic levelling using remote control [smiles smugly]
    Gas on at bottle
    Fridge to gas/electric
    EHU in or Truma gas cover off

Job done.

11. maz

maz Funster

As above but replace boring old automatic levelling with 'extract levelling blocks from locker, seek out hottest single male motorhomer on site, ask to supervise while I drive onto blocks'. Good way of making friends! :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  12. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

One thing to remember, water , before pitching & levelling up and settling down ensure you've filled water tank if needed as having to move the van back to the tap or hauling water in containers to the van can be a pain !!
    When we first started motorhoming many years ago on our first few trips made a check list with things we felt necessary and added to the list with things we'd forgot or didn't do in the correct order, we then made a similar list of what we needed to do on packing up leaving site, after several trips it all became second nature ,( doesn't mean we don't occasionally make the odd mistake especially with the water!!!!) Never rush it ( other than getting the kettle on ).
    :sin:Terry:sin:

• Like Like x 2
  13. Granjan

Granjan Funster

Turn round the captains chairs,
    hook up and fill water if necessary and on a site.
    If nice put chairs out
    get out wine, or brew up
    If resorting to TV tune in about 2 hours later! Don't use it often.

Packing the MH is very important, we use none slip matting, tea towels, muggi's, canvas storage bags etc and everything has a padded place that it returns to ......this makes leaving a doddle .....then you only have to

open taps to empty waste, leave rubbish and recycling on pitch so locals can deal with it.... Empty toilet in hedge......

I am joking with the last bit:Rofl1: always leave everything at least as clean as you found it and support the local economies then they wont mind you visiting. :thumb:

keep it simple less hassle less stress.:BigGrin:

14. Mousy

Mousy Funster Life Member

We do this, before we go we fill with water/gas.

We arrive, park so the hab door side is where we want it, level blocks if needed but mostly don't bother. steadies down, gas on in locker (remove cowl from van side otherwise your gas won't work).

Connect to EHU if using. Switch fridge to either gas or electric.

Turn on power at controller, put on internal pump for water use (switch water heater on if needed).

Turn on heater if required.

Chill out and enjoy yourselves.

We are relatively new but it's amazing how quickly it becomes second nature. :thumb:

15. daisy mae

daisy mae Read Only Funster

I have printed a card with things on it to check, before driving off, I am still a newbie, :BigGrin: put it on a cord and it hangs from the steering wheel., check EHU disconnected,
    Waste water tank empty
    Fresh water tank full
    Gas off,
    Toilet flap closed and Cassette empty
    Locker doors closed
    Fridge on 12 volt
    Nothing loose in habitation area, everything secure
    Step in
    check pitch that you haven`t left anything
    Rubbish in bins

• Like Like x 1
  16. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I don't do many of those things.
    Once stationary.
    1. Plug in ehu if there is one, if not ignore step 1:Smile:
    2. Kettle on/or bottle opener/corkscrew.:drink:

I travel with things like the water pump on, and the gas also on (Secumotion) so stopping for coffee etc greatly simplified. Never bother with levelling unless things slide off the table, and never put steadies down (having once forgotten to put them up before leaving)
    Losing a pitch is rarely a problem as when I leave somewhere it's because I'm going somewhere else.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Rob and Val

Rob and Val Funster

We only ever tried levelling once, in three and a half years, and the 'van slipped off the back of the ramps and the lower end of one of them got embedded in the wheel arch! We had to dig a hole around the ramp to get it out again. So, that was the first and only time that we have used levelling ramps and have never had any problems as we always make sure that we get a fairly level pitch. We have air suspension on the 'van so, if necessary, adjust that. Yesterday we were decluttering and we took the ramps out of the 'van as they take up too much space.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jan1ce

Jan1ce Read Only Funster

Thanks for all that, we are setting off on Saturday in our first van on our first adventure. So welcome all your good advice.:thumb:

19. Mastercamper

Mastercamper Read Only Funster

Tell us where you`re going to. Wherever it is you will soon be hooked. Just relax and enjoy it.

20. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

By the time we arrive we have usually fell out over the "Navigators" directions and its very quiet for a bit:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1: