Arsonists set fire to couple's vintage converted motorhome (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Interesting to get the real side of a story, I have just read back through the comments before replying

I don't think we as a group were ignorant or particularly judgemental, although I completely see and understand that this event will have significantly affected you, I feel that three years on your own hope that similar happens to others is every bit as bad as any of the worst comments made here

But I do really hope you have been able to move on (y)

Shinny72

Free Member
Apr 17, 2016
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Bus
Exp
7yrs
Interesting to get the real side of a story, I have just read back through the comments before replying

I don't think we as a group were ignorant or particularly judgemental, although I completely see and understand that this event will have significantly affected you, I feel that three years on your own hope that similar happens to others is every bit as bad as any of the worst comments made here

But I do really hope you have been able to move on (y)
I don't mean the group, that's not what I meant at all. just the people that said some extremely judgemental things on this thread. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I just hope that anyone that can say such awful things after someone has been through something like that can understand what it actually means. It's horrendous and people's incorrect judgements can be as bad as the act itself. We have moved on but I will never get over it and coming across this 3 years after it happened was quite a shock to be honest.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
@Shinny72 Sinead as I said in my post way back when this happened, I sympathise with you both, as your bus was part of your family and much loved. I am so pleased that you have been able to move on and continue to enjoy life
Any plans on a replacement yet? I do hope so

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
I've just read through this without realising it was 3 years ago until I got to the end. What an awful thing to happen and I agree some of the comments, made without any foundation, are extremely unnecessary, cruel and indefensible. I've seen it on other threads as well from time to time. We are not all like that.

Shinny72

Free Member
Apr 17, 2016
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Bus
Exp
7yrs
We bought a wreck of a boat and have done it up. It's beautiful. Matt doesn't want another bus because he says people treat you like dirt. It's a shame it's scarred him so bad but we have a new life on the water and a new business as we are both artists so it turned out ok in the end. It was a terrifying experience and it still hurts but that's life I suppose. Thanks

Shinny72

Free Member
Apr 17, 2016
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Bus
Exp
7yrs
I've just read through this without realising it was 3 years ago until I got to the end. What an awful thing to happen and I agree some of the comments, made without any foundation, are extremely unnecessary, cruel and indefensible. I've seen it on other threads as well from time to time. We are not all like that.
Thanks. I know it just hurts when you know the truth and I'm a big believer in truth

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Thanks. I know it just hurts when you know the truth and I'm a big believer in truth
The truth is always going to be there long after the lies have faded and died. Its brilliant that you have turned your obvious talents to doing up a boat, but true freedom is on wheels when you can go where your heart takes you. maybe one day you will convert another bus or similar
good luck with the boat, the business and moving forwards in life

Shinny72

Free Member
Apr 17, 2016
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Bus
Exp
7yrs
The truth is always going to be there long after the lies have faded and died. Its brilliant that you have turned your obvious talents to doing up a boat, but true freedom is on wheels when you can go where your heart takes you. maybe one day you will convert another bus or similar
good luck with the boat, the business and moving forwards in life
Yes I hope one day we do because we miss it but we moor in a different place every week and have so much freedom now that it's a pretty good substitute. It's a lovely life on the water . You don't have to worry about parking for a start! Thank you much appreciated

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
Yes I hope one day we do because we miss it but we moor in a different place every week and have so much freedom now that it's a pretty good substitute. It's a lovely life on the water . You don't have to worry about parking for a start! Thank you much appreciated
We wish you all the best for whatever you do

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
When bad things happen to you and devestate you, nasty comments hit home harder and you aren't able to stop them cutting you to the quick, which adds to the pain. They somehow become stuck in your psyche and rankle years afterwards. Both being artists I bet your boat is stunning. Good luck for the future and enjoy 'messing about on the river'! :D

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I think I should explain post#17 because some of you think I was ridiculing the couple that owned it, I was not!

I get annoyed when people say "Vintage" to describe any vehicle, other than those built between 1910 and 1930,

It was not "Vintage" it was a 70s Bus, 40 odd years old,

:. it was "an old bus"

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Well years on i am still driving old vans still brake down and yes ther are snobs out thare.
I stoped to help a felow motorhomer with a brand new van and was told basicly to f###off and keep my grubly hands off
I do hope ther still stuck in the layby it is verry obvius to me thay are new to motorhoming snooooooooooobs
bill

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
Wow. Just came across this ... it was our bus. For the record it was arson. The tyres were on fire and the fire brigade confirmed it. Matt did lose everything because that was his home after he split with his ex and left the family home. All his posessiions were on that bus.All his clothes were on that bus. The contents were NOT INSURED.
We were not living together at the time , it was early days in our relationship. We were both working and paying taxes so we didn't need to inform the DSS of anything.
I can't put into words how something like this affects your whole life. It is devestating.All the ignorant judgemental comments here really upset me at 1st but I realise that nasty minded ignorance is just part of life. I chose not to be like that. I hope something as senseless and hurtful happens to you and maybe you will understand. And thanks for the supportive comments on here, anyone that's met us knows we are good kind people and didn't deserve what happened. Shit happens in life and you move on. We did.
Well said some of the comments seem to have been made without realizing you might see them perhaps in future more tact may be applied. My friends are telling me to get new next year so how about this:
Q: Do I need the worry of an expensive new van being stolen
A: No it is bad enough with a twelve year old one.
Q: What more would I get for the extra cash.
A: Not a lot as I did a lot of research and got the right one for me.
Q: What mileage is left in my current MH.
A: Hopefully 100,000 miles if there is that much left in me I will be really
pleased.
Q: Do I need to impress others.
A: No not for a very long time and it often engenders envy instead.
Really sorry to hear what happened hopefully Karma will see you both right in the end. All the best.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Some newspapers will edit facts so people can make assumptions and pull holes in stories. No newspaper has the space to print the whole truth.

In every group of people there are those who make up what they don't know, those who make assumptions, those who are pedantic and so on and so on. Easy to say ignore them but hard to do when you are hurting and need support.

So when this type of story is printed perhaps we should all take a deep breath and consider our reply carefully. If you can't say anything good maybe not say anything until more facts are known?

@Shinny72 I am glad you have started to move on and hope that we will see you and what must be a wonderful boat at some point in the future. I've seen a lot of canal boats in a sorry state over the years, often with lapsed license and that appear to have been abandoned. It seems such a shame that these boats can't be compulsory purchased by British Waterways (or another authority) and then auctioned off to someone who will restore them and use them. Or maybe that does happen....

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
My husband and I had planned to take the boat down the French waterways on our retirement. We loved it but he died three months before our planned retirement he was only 62. Really glad you two have been able to pick up your lives and hope you have a great time. Don't fall in the canal du midi though it is mucky!!!!

redbox

Free Member
Apr 16, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
What judgements,So if my van goes up in smoke is this the expected response?
More concern surely if it was "any camper" that belonged to you?
Not everyone is out for insurance or a scam,certainly there are a few I m sure.
The implications could be a lot worse next time,given the strange folk out there it could happen to any vehicle whatever age and"anybody"
Hopefully not .....

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
assuming it was arson with no proof !.....

more likely it was an electrical fault....and strangely, the fire was at the back end....where the engine lives

has anyone tried to set a bus alight....where do you start ????
gallon of petrol is normally a good start

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I had a Bedford CF Autosleeper that went up in flames on its own account no arson involved.

It had ben parked outside the house from November and it went up in February. The fire brigade said it started in the steering column and spread to the closed curtains.

I was painting in the house and was only aware of it after a knock on the door by a passer by.

I also lost a lot of items in this fire although most of it was smoke damage as we got there fast. I had a hose and the fire brigade took second to completely extinguish the fire.
Now THAT really is a scary thought. :(

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
Well said some of the comments seem to have been made without realizing you might see them perhaps in future more tact may be applied. My friends are telling me to get new next year so how about this:
Q: Do I need the worry of an expensive new van being stolen
A: No it is bad enough with a twelve year old one.
Q: What more would I get for the extra cash.
A: Not a lot as I did a lot of research and got the right one for me.
Q: What mileage is left in my current MH.
A: Hopefully 100,000 miles if there is that much left in me I will be really
pleased.
Q: Do I need to impress others.
A: No not for a very long time and it often engenders envy instead.
Really sorry to hear what happened hopefully Karma will see you both right in the end. All the best.

Hi. Hope this comes over OK. My first reply.
A pal of mine berates me for buying new cars while he buys used. I am in the fortunate position of being able to do so. But I remind him that if people like me did not buy new, there would be no used vehicles to buy. He now owns a G reg VW Transporter which I love to drive whenever he lets me ! It's this vehicle that started my dream of a MH which we hope to buy next year. New or a demo would be great.
But the lesson for me is:- "sua cuique voluptas" which has nothing to do with boobs but means "to each his own"
Great to hear about the happy boat ending.
Mike

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Good morning BB....It was worth a try I've not taken this route before.....;)

I don't bother, much more fun to just post on threads as normal - they won't appear but you get to have your say - then someone mentions something in your post - confusion by the 'ignorer'............(y)

I 'ignored' a member for a short time just to find out what happened (not Shiffty)............

...as the saying goes..."Keep your friends close but..............";)

'He' won't see this............. it's just a game............. sad I know.... but heh...
.:LOL:

Have a nice day(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back