Arriving Bilbao & heading South

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Teuchter, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Teuchter

Teuchter Funster

In January we plan to arrive in Bilbao and travel South to the Med. (a journey we have done several times before) where we will tour for 2 months.

This time we would like to have an automated way of paying for Spanish toll roads as my wife has difficulty reaching the manual pay booths.

Any advice on pre purchasing a Spanish electronic toll tag before departing Blighty or getting one on arrival in Bilbao would be most welcome :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Lindacarole

Lindacarole Funster

Will watch this post as we are about 3 weeks after you and this sounds like a good idea.
    Did not use the toll roads at all in Spain this year so a complete novice.
    Hope some lovely funster out there helps us both out!
    LC

• Like Like x 1
  3. bryandh

bryandh Funster

• Like Like x 2
  4. vwalan

vwalan Funster

just dont use toll roads . there isno reason to use them .

• Like Like x 2
  5. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

>>Arriving Bilbao & heading South

So much better than going north.

Anyway, so may good roads in Spain, no need for toll roads.

• Like Like x 4
  6. PeteH

PeteH Funster

Generally No to Tolls. Like life however there are exceptions. One is the A63 Round Bayone. Keeps you out of the local rat run.

Pete

• Like Like x 1
  7. jumar

jumar Funster

Are you sure your route involves TOLLS? There aren't that many Toll sections in Spain, other than the Med Route south, and that wouldn't be a route from Bilbao. Madrid has a Toll section on one route, but this can be avoided by using the Toll Free Motorways. (Autovias)
    You might post again, asking, Whats the chance of snow in January between Bilbao and southern Spain, last year some problems with heavy snowfall, but the snow ploughs are in place and very quick to getting it sorted.

• Like Like x 1
  8. HymerB544

HymerB544 Funster

Whilst I agree with the majority of replies here, that unavoidable m-way tolls on the route south are as rare as hen's teeth (I think we paid about 3 Euros last time and that was on the very last leg) the gentleman has said he has done the route several times, so his experience is the one that matters. So Bryan has given a pointer. It would be good to know which route was intended though, just out of interest,a sit would stimulate some more helpful replies.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Teuchter

Teuchter Funster

Our route in Spain starting on 27th January :-

Bilbao to Tordesillas A62 200 miles - Camping El Astral stay one night
    Tordesillas to Aranjuez AP6 & A6 125 miles - Camping Internazionale Aranjuez stay 2 nights
    Aranjuez to Bolnuevo AP 36 & A30 260 miles Camping Playa de Mazarron Stay several nights

Last year we went via Zaragoza & Alicante then down South but encountered quite a lot of snow encountered snow between Haro and Valencia hoping for less snow this way

From Bolnuevo we intend to travel slowly over the next 7 weeks make our way along the South coast of Spain and then the Algarve before heading North and home early April staying between 2 and 5 nights on various sites.

In Spain probably Cabo de Gata, Roquetas de Mar, Torre del Mar, Estepona and some others

In Portugal probably Fuseta, Quarteira, Portimao & Sagres before heading home

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Milliemobile

Milliemobile Funster

Hi @Teuchter, sorry no help with tolls, but I noticed your going to, Bolnuevo. We loved it there in May and are thinking of going again in Jan but were concerned about the local town being open, shops restaurants etc, your advice would be appreciated.

Lin :)

11. Teuchter

Teuchter Funster

We were last there in February this year, loved it, all the shops & bars were open as were most of the restaurants - however the 2 or 3 restaurants facing the beach were closed but that still leaves 5 or 6 open in town.

The campsite bar/club was closed except for functions.

We hope to be there for the 1st week in February 2016 :)

• Like Like x 2
  12. Milliemobile

Milliemobile Funster

Thanks good to know :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. HymerB544

HymerB544 Funster

Wow some trip and I am envious. We stayed at the Aranguez site last time we travelled down to Isla Plana, then on to a nice site near Granada with a bus stop just at the gate, then down to Los Madriles. We have stayed at the new site at Estepona, (Bella Vista?) and loved the facilities. Gary

• Like Like x 1
  14. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

agree not may pay sections and ones that are are dirt cheap and hardly worth avoiding.

Just pull up short and passenger get out and pay....

15. bellabee

bellabee Funster

@Teuchter, we're just 2 days behind you. Taking the 29th Jan ferry to Santander, then following a very similar route to you, returning home week before Easter.
    Look out for our three-legged Dally. You can't miss us!
    Chris

• Like Like x 1
  16. Teuchter

Teuchter Funster

We stayed at Bella vista in February this year and will certainly go back there next February (out of the blue we met an old shipmate of mine from my Navy days who was overwintering there in his caravan) - great site - good cycling along the coast to nearby villages

17. PeteH

PeteH Funster

There WHERE a couple of places where we CHOSE to use Tolls. They avoid urban conurbations and some narrow streets, the A63 By Bayone. Becomes A8 in Spain and toll free, is one such, the Alternative (N10 I think from memory) is one narrow SOB in parts, only a few Francs (Euro`s) and a lot less hassle.

Snow can be an issue in Jan/Feb we just hung on at St Jean du Luz a couple of days and then went for it (2003). followed the Snow plough up the mountain! Towing the car on a Trailer too!. IF it snows I would never attempt the N121.

Pete

18. jumar

jumar Funster

The question relates to travelling from Bilbao to the Spanish Med coast.

19. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

We're in the pyranees now and is quite warm, it's 27th October so I didn't expect that.
    Do we need to pay tolls to get to Benidorm from here.? In Puylaurens, France.

20. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

I agree, my wife couldn't reach ......... so I (the driver) would just get out to take ticket or pay... never a problem(y)

Edit ... as I approached a toll booth I'd put on the hazard lights... that and the GB plate warned others that I might delay those following.. never got a bad reaction

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
    • Like Like x 2