Arrgh - More Fiat Dashboard Issues (1 Viewer)

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Taking the van back this evening after prepping for an extended European trip starting next week and you guessed a 'low brake pad' light comes on when the cruise control is selected but disappears when cruise Control is switched off.

It is going to be interesting to see how well my Fiat professional dealer reacts given we should be heading south next Thursday morning! This is on a July 2015 Ducato Euro 5+ Rapido. If it is the dash that is the issue then I can see me diverting to Cartronix on my way south and trying to 'horsetrade' with Fiat/dealer on who pays as I doubt they will be able to do it in the time frame but then maybe I'll be surprised!

Has anyone any experience using Cartronix to remove and fix the blessed things? They do sound very switched on and efficient.

Ksagic

Free Member
Feb 21, 2015
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 890i
Exp
Hi, am having the same issues with my 'lights' when cruise is on. It's a known Fiat issue that requires the dashboard replacing, as is going to happen to mine while still under warranty. However, and there is always a 'but' somewhere, I have now had 3 attempts by the agents to replace the dashboard but each time the replacement dash for some reason isnt correct despite being ordered by chassis number. My Fiat agents, Trafford Park Truck Centre, have now launched an investigation with Fiat as its costing them time and money. I patiently await results.

I am advised the MH is safe to drive but would fail an MOT which in my case is some 18 months away. In your case I dont believe the agents will give you a quick fix, just saying like.

Good Luck on your trip sounds like its going to be fun!!(y)

Ian

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
ordering a new binnacle takes a couple of weeks generally, but the replacements have also been known to fail. it surprises me that fiat have not sorted this with their supplier as its down to VERY cheap LEDs being used. If cartronix can fix it quickly with a lifetime warranty, why wont fiat

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Yes but sometimes its just not worth the hassle. If you've got an affordable convenient reliable fix just cough up and get on with your life. IMO
Jon

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Its not just Ducato/boxer/relay that suffer this fault, Fiat 500 and several other models also suffer the same issue. I have even heard of other manufacturers suffering similar problems.

As Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen are replacing instrument panels under warranty ( even on vehicles that are technically out of their warranty period) they are very unlikely to agree to pay for a third party repair.

D.

OP
OP
clanjones
Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Yep and that is problem. I can see me having to pay Cartronix to get on with my life! Still I'll have a crack at it and keep you posted! Not prepared to have my long awaited trip screwed up by some cheap diodes!

Nik

Oct 29, 2014
Cornish exile in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
1 year
Had mine sorted a couple of weeks ago. Only took 1 day for Cartronix to sort out after my Fiat Professional people removed the cluster. Excellent service by Cartronix.
There was a post on a similar thread recently where a director of Cartronix, who happens to be a Funster, posted a reply.
I'm sorry but I can't remember his name or which post to point you to.
Not a big job in essence but just inconvenient.
reards
Nik.

OP
OP
clanjones
Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
So an update. My Fiat Professional dealer has been really proactive will name them once we have a result before you ask!! Van going in this afternoon, binnacle ordered on the basis of a photo sent in for, hopefully, Monday delivery and they are going to try and sort by Wednesday, our drop dead day. All a warranty job. Adamant that Fiat should do this. They are 'chocka' with work but as it is under an hour reckon they can squeeze it in.

Fingers crossed they deliver and if they do I can see some 'amber nectar' being in the equation somewhere as I think this is bit of above and beyond given they are taking bookings for 2 weeks hence!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Has anyone any experience using Cartronix to remove and fix the blessed things? They do sound very switched on and efficient.
Fiat wouldn't do mine under warranty so had Cartronix do it.
We were at a friends on their farm only a couple of miles from them so I took the cluster out dropped it down to them and they phoned about 1½ hours later saying it's ready. The guy that owns Cartronix is a Funster.
Don't follow your satnav a lot of the roads have been blocked off to stop people doing rat runs to the industrial estate. Set your satnav for Sainsburys.
If have trouble finding them they are on the upper level of the units, not a lot of parking so probably worth getting there early.

upload_2017-3-10_9-49-9.png

OP
OP
clanjones
Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks Lenny noted - Cartronix are plan B as above my Fiat dealer is pulling the stops but lets not start counting chickens and all that!

Off piste a bit (yes we are off skiing and cycling!)- I used Fenwicks over wintering 'stuff' and I have to say the motorhome was really quite clean given we have used it a couple of times - that was reason it was home, a good wash before before we leave - glad I did it a week in advance!

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Clanjones If its the dealer west of Edinburgh we have found them good with a couple of issues we have had.
One was the usual dash lights issue they managed to get replacement form Italy pronto.
Other issue was down to the wrong mirror being fitted which caused fault with indicators. (not caused by Fiat)
Just for info the door mirrors have two different wattage bulbs depending if they have an outside temperature sensor fitted or not.

Rukei

Free Member
Apr 3, 2015
Hollywood, Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
12 years
Had my binnacle changed last week as I had the same problem with random lights appearing when using cruise control. Grays at Warwick carried out the work and did the software update to lighten up the speedo area in daytime. It seems to have improved considerably, so far so good!

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
I wonder if this fault is due to it being a MPH speedo? Can't seem to find anything mentioning it for a KPH speedo.!!!

Rukei

Free Member
Apr 3, 2015
Hollywood, Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
12 years
Mine is a kph speedo and showed the problem after 1500 miles, 6 months old so think it does relate to all Fiat binnacles

OP
OP
clanjones
Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Clanjones If its the dealer west of Edinburgh we have found them good with a couple of issues we have had.

Yep I think they are the same one! They were hoping that the part would be with them today so looks like we should be able to leave as planned. They were adamant it was a warranty issue and should be fixed by Fiat. So fingers crossed!

OP
OP
clanjones
Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
So an update. Just had a call that the Fiat binnacle has been replaced and the van is ready for pick up - Result. Given it is gusting at 46 MPH here, we are going to leave for an early pick up tomorrow. So hats of to AM Phillip Trucktec, Broxburn for sorting this in 5 days, including a weekend.

Now I can think about enjoying our trip!

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
So an update. Just had a call that the Fiat binnacle has been replaced and the van is ready for pick up - Result. Given it is gusting at 46 MPH here, we are going to leave for an early pick up tomorrow. So hats of to AM Phillip Trucktec, Broxburn for sorting this in 5 days, including a weekend.

Now I can think about enjoying our trip!
Good news. A trifle draughty in Carnoustie today as well!

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Clanjones Take a pen and paper with you when you go to collect.
Its handy for letting their reception know which vehicles are blocking your van in:(
We have found them decent to deal with but it is a very busy place.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back