Arisaig (1 Viewer)

N

Nobody

Deleted User
Hi all , I've just booked a boating trip in August west coast Scotland we plan to stay at portnadoran campsite Arisaig with the MH for 10 day while we sail around Eigg -'Rum-Skye has anyone stayed at portnadoran? Cheers

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
cant remember the name of the site now, but there are not many sites in Arisaig, way back when the road to Mallaig was proper single track and well used by fishing artics we stayed there with our caravan

Took a random boat trip to Eig and Rhum, life changer for me, saw seals, dolphins then a Minke whale right under our 25' boat, whale was bigger than us :)

Beautiful area, have a great time

Reactions: DBK

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Friends have stayed at Portnadoran and say it is fine. However, to get there, you drive past Sunnyside Croft campsite, which we have used a few times. It is excellent in all respects, if a little expensive.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
They have a Loch Ness type monster in Loch Morar, or so I was told after I had spent the day fly fishing there on my honeymoon during the 1976 heat wave........(saw nowt though).

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Hi all , I've just booked a boating trip in August west coast Scotland we plan to stay at portnadoran campsite Arisaig with the MH for 10 day while we sail around Eigg -'Rum-Skye has anyone stayed at portnadoran? Cheers
Not stayed on Portnadoran, but can recommend Invercaimbe Caravan And Campsite we stayed there a few years ago, fantastic place
005 (2).JPG

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
@golly that looks like it might be the same site we stayed on when returning from Skye on the ferry. Wonderful views, but we did notice that the static caravans on the coast all had fore and aft steel bands to hold them down. Guess they suffer from bad wind up there?

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
that looks like it might be the same site we stayed on
Nice pictures. .. If it's the same site then I'm fairly sure yours are at silversands Portnaluchaig Arisaig...
Had a few barbies on the beach between the rocks... shownIn your second picture..
Ta Andy

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
@andy63 that name does ring a bell. We had planned to stay te a couple of days and soak up the view and the weather, but during that first night we found out for ourselves what the weather was like! So we headed south next morning. We went back to Skye and parts north again last September and enjoyed even better weather, especially above Ullapool. Gary

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I think that you will find the islands interesting , on Eigg there are two caves worth visiting ,one the Cathedral cave and the other the massacre cave , the island had a tea room down by the harbour, Rum is a place of scientific interest where Red deer are studied, the island was given to the national trust by the previous owners , Eigg is owned by the islanders themselves , i was part of the fund raising effort called the Friends of Eigg , the previous two owners both had a negative impact on the islanders lifes. The area is Beautifull and you may see a variety of sea life(y)(y)

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
@andy63 that name does ring a bell. We had planned to stay te a couple of days and soak up the view and the weather, but during that first night we found out for ourselves what the weather was like! So we headed south next morning. We went back to Skye and parts north again last September and enjoyed even better weather, especially above Ullapool. Gary

Hi Gary....snap that's around the time (September )i was up at Arisaig. 4 nights there before setting off on a nc500 route.. The weather was great and midge free.. There are some beautiful little beaches and coves if you take the minor road to malaig from the camp site in Arisaig.
Unfortunately I lost all my pictures off the sd card on phone before downloading them so will have to do it all again lol.. and hope the weather is as good..
Cheers Andy

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
@andy63 and @Candapack the beaches above Ullapool were the best we have ever seen and so was the cycling. Just wish we didn't live so far away now. Sutherland from Yorkshire was a long haul, but from deepest Cornwall it's about 800 miles! That beach on Candapack's avatar looks familiar....
image.jpeg

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
They have a Loch Ness type monster in Loch Morar, or so I was told after I had spent the day fly fishing there on my honeymoon during the 1976 heat wave........(saw nowt though).
Morag by name I think and Loch Morar is very deep - the bottom is below sea level by quite a bit.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Not stayed on Portnadoran, but can recommend Invercaimbe Caravan And Campsite we stayed there a few years ago, fantastic place
View attachment 88817

Second that one of our favourite sites, fantastic views, good bike rides, free range eggs, basic but everything we enjoy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back