Argh stuck bolt - any bright ideas??

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by jimothy, May 15, 2012.

1. jimothy

jimothy Read Only Funster

Why are the smallest DIY jobs never straightforward?

So, I decided a little job for this evening was to swap the passenger seatbelt which has decided not to return to its reel, with a nice new one.

Only problem is the bolt in the bottom anchor point just spins and spins and spins in whatever is retaining it on the other side of the wall :Angry:

Any bright ideas for removing it?

Thanks!
    Jamie.

:party2:

2. Gooney

Gooney Funster

Hi Jamie, if you get a screwdriver to use as a lever and put it under the bolt head exerting upward pressure as you undo the bolt there's a chance you may trap the captive nut that's turning on the underside.

3. tofo

tofo Funster

would the bolt be going through the floor to outside/roadside
    or through the door pillar at the bottom
    if its a drop of wd40/penetrating oil may help if you can stop the nut from spinning

4. yorkshirepudding

yorkshirepudding Read Only Funster

Bear in mind that if the retaining nut falls away you will have to replace it. Can you access the other side?

5. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

you need to remember that removing the bolt will allow the captive nut to fall off the back of anchor point. this means you wont be able to refit the belt again. you need to get the nut welded in place and this may mean cutting away a section of the pilar and replacing it. quite a difficult job and beyond most diy mechanics

6. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Fraid you are stuck between a rock and a hard place with this one.
    looks like the captive nut has become un-captive even if you found a way to unscrew it the captive part would fall into the bodywork, leaving nowhere for the new belt to be fixed to
    your going to have to find or cut your way in as neat as possible, repair and re fix new belt,
    Which end of the belt is the problem with? the reel end or the other mounting point?
    G

7. Gromett

Gromett Funster

If that all other suggestions fail. A hack saw blade may be the only option :Sad:

8. jimothy

Bum. I was afraid of this.

The offending bolt is the non-reel end. Have given it a squirt of WD40, to see if that might at least enable me to remove the bolt with Gooney's screwdriver technique. It doesn't spin freely as such, i get a little resistance but then it gives up and spins round again.

It's in what would be the door pillar, if it had door pillars. I presume there's a sturdy steel upright behind the boxing in. Didn't really want to have to open it up, and access form the other side would be v difficult.

An alternative plan would be to reinstate the old belt and passengersjust have to try not to over-extend the belt around them! The emergency stopping mechanism still works at least! It's just left alone it tends to gently unravel into a heap on the floor :Rofl1:

no, I guess I will just have to try the screwdriver approach, and then contact someone more skilled than I to try and repair the captive nut :Tongue1:

9. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I guess an anchor nut that is loose.

I'd be trying to drill a hole right next to it then try and hit the nut with MIG then weld up the hole. RISKY, need to be sure nothing flammable in there.

You're options are limited, it will fail it's MOT and/or kill someone.

10. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Can you enlarge on "Boxing in" If its just a large plastic cloaking strip you may be in luck, some A class vehicle have a surface mounted steel frame visible when the trim is removed an easy fix if thats the case. this steel frame is simply screwed to the wal timbers and can be removed fo repair
    If you mean covered in the finished wall boading material then your capive nut may just be set into the wooden frame,(I kid you not):Eeek: and a bit of damp rots the timbers and hay presto your nut now spins:Doh:
    World class get out of the s**t bodge coming up

As a last resort and to avoid major strip down, it may be possible to drill right through the vans wall just above or below the orignal bolt and mount with a long bolt, the outside is then disguised with a small fake vent cover or something simular hiding the bolt head
    Geo

11. tofo

tofo Funster

any chance you can drill into the captive nut from the good finish side
    and screw a self tapper in bit hit and miss maybe
    but if it saves taking the truck apart worth it
    [HI]be warned it will notice for ever [/HI] :Eeek::thumb::thumb:

12. chesterfield hooligan

chesterfield hooligan Funster

:Smile: Hi try taking a photo and showing it to everyone :Smile:

13. jimothy

:BigGrin: bear with me...

Light's not too great, but hopefully you can see...

Having found a gap in the boxing in, I poked my screwdriver blade in there - I think Geo might be right - IT'S JUST A BIT OF WOOD!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  14. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

Hi would it be an idea to post about Machzone problem or find out if there is an owners club.

You might be contacted by another owner or even a builder of Machzones who might give you more info about the construction:Smile:

15. hilldweller

You're stuffed, well that's not what I'm thinking but close enough.

16. hilldweller

How come that passes an MOT ?

17. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

One things a fact, its got to be fixed to pass the mot and for safety

first drill a 2mm hole to assess the makeup of the structure, then if it appears strong enough, I would put 2 parallel cuts in the trim above the bolt about 75mm apart starting just above the bolt. then carefully remove the loose section and expose whats underneath. dependant on what you find, cut an access port above the problem.

if its steel, you can then weld the captive nut in place and weld the patch back in and cover with the piece of trim cut out earlier. then neatly stick 2 pieces of plastic trim over the cuts,

Its often easier to disguise a bodge by making it look as if it was deliberate

If its wood, youre in trouble.

18. vwalan

vwalan Funster

brian .for mot its just a pull test. you can glue or self tap the fixings for an mot . the ruling is daft.

19. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

As scary as it sounds its non of my business how its mounted:Eeek:
    Just that it dont come away when i give it a tug and as Alan says a good glue or self tapper will prevent me pulling it away
    The only fail citeria is for excess corrosion to metal areas surrounding the mounting, the mechanism failing to retract (with slight assistance if reqd)
    or failing to fasten in the buckle
    Geo

• Like Like x 1
  20. vwalan

vwalan Funster

just thought i would add that i dont and i,m sure geo doesnt recommend you do glue or self tap the seat belts in . but it is possible to get mot pass like it.

Last edited: May 16, 2012
    • Like Like x 1