Area degraded by the motorhome invasion

Discussion in 'Motorhomes in the News' started by scotjimland, May 2, 2013.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

More bad press for motorhomers .. :Sad:

http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/Area-degraded-motorhome-invasion/story-18856456-detail/story.html#axzz2S9kuL9Yh

2. teddybard

teddybard Read Only Funster

I dont like the idea of bad press anymore than the next.
    If these people are behaving irresponsibly then the local council
    will rightly throw the book at them.
    [HI]
    Of course we all know press coverage is rarely unbiased
    but what sort of irresponsible git, behaves in this fashion to give
    press or council the ammunition.[/HI]

• Like Like x 1
  3. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

Sounds like another jealous "Nimby" to me.

It would be nice if he backed up his letter with some evidence, photos, video, including faces, vans, number plates and pictures of the vandalism being committed by the Motorhome fraternity... etc...

Sounds like he also does not like overnight "Sea Anglers and the like" either..........:Doh:
    I always wonder what "the like" actually consists of........

There are for sure inconsiderate motorhomers, but from my experience they are in the minority, not as Mr Dowse suggests........

I agree with the last part of his rant though, suitable areas with reasonable overnight parking charges, as with french Aires, would be most welcome...........:thumb:

:Smile:

• Like Like x 2
  4. treetops1

treetops1 Funster

Sounds more like the travellng fraternity to me ,did he notice any gas bottles laid around.LOL

• Like Like x 2
  5. alan

alan Funster

Moggs Eye

I believe that the people who stay there are more like new age travellers or itinerant type in old horseboxes and such like.
    They've stayed there for several years and are not motor homers as we know them
    Alan

• Like Like x 1
  6. Trikeman

Trikeman Read Only Funster

Just a busybody with, no doubt, 'bedroom issues'.

One of the unpaid police that want everyone to pay for things he has no interest in.

P***k.

Trikeman.:Wink:

• Like Like x 2
  7. rangitira

rangitira Funster

Same thing is happening on the Lizard, and Marizion, AND, it's not just Brits, couple or three years ago I caught a Dutchie emptying his cassette in the hedgerow at Kynance Cove.

It's not ENVY, it's just people are rapidly getting fed up with the countryside being abused, BY THE MINORITY, and unfortunately the MAJORITY are being tarred with the same brush.

Live with it! cause until there is a change in Attitude by that Minority, the Majority will suffer!

Or, let's make it even! Tell me where you live, and I'll come and spread my rubbish around, empty my BLUOO in your hedgerows and drain my grey waste on your roads, and park in front of your house for a couple of weeks. Even stevens?:thumb:

• Like Like x 3
  8. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

A bit of Googling identifies that this argument has been going on for several years with many complaints received by the local authority. As so often happens it appears that a few are again spoiling things for the many.

9. teddybard

teddybard Read Only Funster

Dyou mean it's not you ?:Eek!:

10. dna

dna Funster

how tall?

Can I just ask how many funster motorhomes are over 6.4M tall - as referred to in the article?

Finally, the car parks are NOT closed at night, sea anglers and the like have no restrictions placed on parking unless the vehicle is over 6.4 metres high.

:Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  11. mick noe

mick noe Funster

I know this area well and unfortunately have seen irresponsible motorhomers dropping waste water directly on the concrete parking area and leaving their kitchen waste etc in the litter bins. there are several converted lorries / horse boxes that appear to live there. There are signs forbidding overnight camping but I do not think the majority of motorhomers that ignore this are doing any harm. There has been talk of hight barriers being constructed at the entrance I would be sad if this were the case as we often spend a Sunday parked up by the beach.
    For what its worth I would like to see the lorries and vehicles living there shifted and think local objection would probably subside.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

Is this the area also known a huttoft car terrace?

13. mick noe

mick noe Funster

yes but couple of other very local spots also so I understand

14. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

Tallest thing I have driven is a low loader at 18 foot with a bloody big crane on it
    20 foot 6 meters camper van got to see it

• Like Like x 1
  15. freelanderuk

freelanderuk Read Only Funster

i live a a few miles from these areas and used to go there quite regular sea fishing and just for walks , i have seen vans there with their drains open allowing their waste water to run all over the parked areas , seen them dumping rubbish and emptying cassettes,this includes vans who have been there for a few hours and then moved on, it spoils it for others who are responsible motor-homers if height barriers go up as they are great spots to spend the day

• Like Like x 1
  16. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

I don't understand anyone who dumps toilet cassette anywhere when there are plenty of public loos around if you look for them - if their isn't, many pubs will allow you to if you ask nicely and buy a drink/have lunch there.

In the report, they mention the on site toilets being used for free water supply - if they are there, I don't understand why people are not using them to empty the cassette and flush away afterwards. As regards to 'free' water - they may not pay rates, but being in the area are contributing to the local economy - so in a way, their is a benefit.

Of course, the cure to this is to put the facilities on site and make in an aire.....problem solved! If it was made into and aire, and was chargeable for a small fee to cover water/waste etc - then it would be used in that manner. The ones that won't want to pay will move on.

I do think UK councils are missing a trick with the aire situation. Having an aire is far better than banning camping in an area which would benefit from the income from tourism. It will increase employment with those cleaning the aire waste away and will bring a small income into the council to pay for it. Far better than not making anyone welcome, and losing that income into the local economy.

• Like Like x 4
  17. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

Open up a free aire, anywhere in Britain --it will be invaded and taken over with Itinerants and any loose scrap within 5 miles will disappear.

• Like Like x 3
  18. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

There are already some Aire facilities in the UK. Canterbury Park and Ride, is but one. There are other facilities such as on the Fylde coast. They are not free but neither are many of the ones provided on the continent.

There was another at Guisborough that was abused by motorhome users who stayed and refused to pay and it was closed Because only a few tickets had been sold in the first year, that council that was then able to say there was no demand in the area.

There are also 5 Aires with Bourne facilities operating in Northern Ireland.

These facilities are not over run by "Itinerants" as you call them. It is negative prejudice like this, that is fuelling the fire of discontent, against the establishment of more facilities.

I stayed on a site in Bedfordshire for 9 months and beside this was a lay by on the A6 that was regularly used by travellers. The site was spotless most of the time when they left. It was one group that spoilt it for everyone. They arrived and set fire to cars and dumped other rubbish. It was a total mess. The local authority moved them on and large bounders were placed over the entrances.

The local authorities don't like travellers. The law was that they had to provide sites for nomadic travellers. Instead they provided caravan sites that restricted the type of vehicle using them and closed in the winter. They paid lip service to the law but ignored the sprit. They were later force to provide these facilities to comply with the law but again made them for settled travellers and not for the nomad. The law was then relaxed so no new sites were provided.

Today we have ourselves (Full Timers and Leisure Motor Homers) and the nomadic travellers competing for the diminishing few unblocked places.

John

Last edited: May 3, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  19. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

We use a remote site that is also a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI).

We have it in writing from Natural England that toilet waste is to be buried in the sand dunes on this site. This is in the site management plan.

Done correctly buried toilet waste is completely absorbed within a year of disposal. Waste water contains nothing harmful to vegetation, so if spread away from where people walk, it to is absorbed quickly.

It is laziness just to let the waste water leak out onto the area the van is standing on.

John

20. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

A letter in response to the anti motorhome brigade

Motorhome owners are better off abroad

Wednesday, May 15, 2013East Lindsey TargetFollow
    IT was interesting reading the comments from the anti-motorhome brigade.
    It's not that the local motorhomers want to use Huttoft Car Terrace very often, we too have homes in the local area, but the council keep banging on about wanting more tourists.
    How many foreign motorhomes do you see in Lincolnshire?
    There is an opportunity to increase that market. How about having Huttoft just for motorhomes, as they do in France, and see how the area tidies up?

There are several other places for car drivers and caravan owners anyway and the council could always put on a charge of £10 per 24 hours on all car parks along the coast, which works out the same as static caravan owners pay per night, if they need to make money.
    As for myself, I like many hundreds of other motorhome owners will be heading for the continent to spend my hard earned cash where I will be welcomed and allowed to park in towns, villages and by the sea without any problems.

Read more: http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk...tory-18989999-detail/story.html#ixzz2TpkruGIb
    Follow us: @ThisisLincs on Twitter | ThisisLincolnshire on Facebook

• Like Like x 1