Are you, like me, a Womble?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Rapide561, May 9, 2014.

1. Rapide561

Rapide561 Read Only Funster

Is anyone else a Womble?

I just can't help it. I go to a bin on a campsite to put my rubbish in, and often come away with more than I went with.

On a CCC site recently, I fished out a travel kettle - worked perfectly, cleaned it up, flogged it on another site for a fiver.

This trip, I have collected seven deck chairs, two Camping Gaz cylinders, some plastic trays, some melamine stuff, a cast iron skillet, a pedal bin and a few other bits.

I usually have a motorhome boot sale every month, just ask the warden on a site and hey presto, stuff for sale in front of the van. The last one yielded about £30. This is purely stuff from skips and bins on site.

I do particularly well at the end of the season on sites that have seasonals - you would not believe it!

Anyone else, or is it just me with this illness?

Russ :Eeek:

• Like Like x 5
  2. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

I like to buy at end of the season, put away in garage and sell start of next season..
    Done quite well on Cadacs from Argos and Camping Gaz stoves from Amazon.. :thumb:

3. BreweryDave

BreweryDave Funster Life Member

Russ - the feds are on their way to your house now :imoutahere: - see you in 2 years:Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Must admit I am the same.. Collected all sorts over the years !

5. Mastercamper

Mastercamper Read Only Funster

And me

6. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I must go to the wrong sort of sites because I never see rubbish good enough to collect :Smile: I did leave a table in the marquee at Peterborough though "free to good, bad or indifferent home" so hope somebody made use of it :Smile:

Maybe I'm a domestic Womble as I have stacks of offcuts and so on in the garage - even after a major clear out a few weeks ago :BigGrin:

7. icantremember

icantremember Funster

More like ...........[​IMG]:Wink:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

Had a lad working for me that when he left the cabin at the start of his shift his first stop was to check the skips! His nickname???
    Skiprat!!! :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Skiprat ... hubby used to do that! Where he was working outside his window was a skip for putting furniture, old pcs etc in (this was before the days of WEEE - electrical equipment disposal regs), he would keep his eyes open and if something 'interesting' was in there he'd have a shuftie, he even had a special 'hoiking' stick with a hook on it!!! It got to the point that the porters didn't bother throwing some stuff in and just knocked on his store door and asked him if he wanted it first! I don't know how many pcs he got and repaired then sold ... must have brought in a fair bit of dosh over the years!

Since then he's taken up going to car boot sales to pick up stuff to sell on - this is since he left work over 4 years ago for something to keep himself occupied ... now he's addicted! :Doh: He was known as the 'dog cage' man for a couple of years as he found a cheap supplier and pretty much cornered the local market! :Smile:

Now he dabbles in various things, but he's known as the 'tent' man - he's picked up bargains from shops (B&Q, Tesco etc) when they 'dump' seasonal camping stuff at silly prices and then sells them on when the season starts again ... however he made a mistake a couple of years ago when Tesco decided to dump a load of large tents ridiculously cheap. As Tesco were known to just 'cancel' orders sometimes for no apparent reason he did 6 for 10 tents each time ... but this backfired ... it was the ONLY occasion that EVERY ONE OF THE ORDERS WAS PROCESSED!!!! :Eeek: We had tents stacked everywhere!!!! :Laughing:

At Peterborough show he went to put some rubbish in the bins and came back with a gas kettle, some wooden poles from a wind break (which I'll use in the garden) and a step! :Doh: You won't believe the stuff that people sling! I never go to the local recycling centre (aka tip) with him as I can't bear to see the amount of stuff that is thrown away which is still usable. At car boot sales I look at the discarded bits and pieces people leave behind when they pack-up (I have no shame! :Blush: ) to see if there is anything for the charity shops (as they are always wanting items) and have found some lovely baby clothes, toys, ornaments/bric a brac etc ... and even if they only get 50p for them it's still money in their box. :thumb:

10. Rayb182

Rayb182 Funster Life Member

A man after my own heart, Skippy is my nickname, :thumb:

11. Manic

Manic Funster

I'm a wobble, got a perfectly good awning carpet out of the bin, covers my awning twice , plus other bits.
    Keep Wobbling.:Smile:

12. tofo

tofo Funster

I used to

But apparently

Not allowed anymore orders of da management

Hard to break the habit though :Eeek:

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

13. tofo

tofo Funster

Don't mention charidy shops

We are clearing out pending a move after 28 years

Went past the tip to 3 charidy shops
    Asked em if they wanted the games and books
    We had saved

Told me chuck we don't want it
    Went back to the tip everything else will follow it

Except the cables and wires neatly stored in the garage
    That's a wire stripping job for next week
    And scrap from me plumbing days
    All going to the totters yard in tilbury

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

14. Rapide561

Rapide561 Read Only Funster

Womble

I estimate the value of goods - at my next motorhome boot sale - is about £100 worth. All these things were rescued on this holiday. Thanks to the kind people who throw out good chairs, Camping Gaz cylinders, trays, pans, a kettle and a pair of size 9 Nike Air trainers - they look almost new - I'm a ten or I would have washed them and kept them.

Russ

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bluemooner

Bluemooner Funster Life Member

No wonder you have a large van Russ:Eeek:

• Like Like x 1