Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Is anyone else a Womble?

I just can't help it. I go to a bin on a campsite to put my rubbish in, and often come away with more than I went with.

On a CCC site recently, I fished out a travel kettle - worked perfectly, cleaned it up, flogged it on another site for a fiver.

This trip, I have collected seven deck chairs, two Camping Gaz cylinders, some plastic trays, some melamine stuff, a cast iron skillet, a pedal bin and a few other bits.

I usually have a motorhome boot sale every month, just ask the warden on a site and hey presto, stuff for sale in front of the van. The last one yielded about £30. This is purely stuff from skips and bins on site.

I do particularly well at the end of the season on sites that have seasonals - you would not believe it!

Anyone else, or is it just me with this illness?

Russ :Eeek:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I like to buy at end of the season, put away in garage and sell start of next season..
Done quite well on Cadacs from Argos and Camping Gaz stoves from Amazon.. :thumb:

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
I just can't help it. I go to a bin on a campsite to put my rubbish in, and often come away with more than I went with.

This trip, I have collected seven deck chairs, two Camping Gaz cylinders, some plastic trays, some melamine stuff, a cast iron skillet, a pedal bin and a few other bits.

Russ - the feds are on their way to your house now :imoutahere: - see you in 2 years:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Must admit I am the same.. Collected all sorts over the years !

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I must go to the wrong sort of sites because I never see rubbish good enough to collect :Smile: I did leave a table in the marquee at Peterborough though "free to good, bad or indifferent home" so hope somebody made use of it :Smile:

Maybe I'm a domestic Womble as I have stacks of offcuts and so on in the garage - even after a major clear out a few weeks ago ::bigsmile:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
More like ...........
images
:winky:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Had a lad working for me that when he left the cabin at the start of his shift his first stop was to check the skips! His nickname???
Skiprat!!! :thumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Skiprat ... hubby used to do that! Where he was working outside his window was a skip for putting furniture, old pcs etc in (this was before the days of WEEE - electrical equipment disposal regs), he would keep his eyes open and if something 'interesting' was in there he'd have a shuftie, he even had a special 'hoiking' stick with a hook on it!!! It got to the point that the porters didn't bother throwing some stuff in and just knocked on his store door and asked him if he wanted it first! I don't know how many pcs he got and repaired then sold ... must have brought in a fair bit of dosh over the years!

Since then he's taken up going to car boot sales to pick up stuff to sell on - this is since he left work over 4 years ago for something to keep himself occupied ... now he's addicted! :Doh: He was known as the 'dog cage' man for a couple of years as he found a cheap supplier and pretty much cornered the local market! :Smile:

Now he dabbles in various things, but he's known as the 'tent' man - he's picked up bargains from shops (B&Q, Tesco etc) when they 'dump' seasonal camping stuff at silly prices and then sells them on when the season starts again ... however he made a mistake a couple of years ago when Tesco decided to dump a load of large tents ridiculously cheap. As Tesco were known to just 'cancel' orders sometimes for no apparent reason he did 6 for 10 tents each time ... but this backfired ... it was the ONLY occasion that EVERY ONE OF THE ORDERS WAS PROCESSED!!!! :Eeek: We had tents stacked everywhere!!!! :roflmto:

At Peterborough show he went to put some rubbish in the bins and came back with a gas kettle, some wooden poles from a wind break (which I'll use in the garden) and a step! :Doh: You won't believe the stuff that people sling! I never go to the local recycling centre (aka tip) with him as I can't bear to see the amount of stuff that is thrown away which is still usable. At car boot sales I look at the discarded bits and pieces people leave behind when they pack-up (I have no shame! :Blush: ) to see if there is anything for the charity shops (as they are always wanting items) and have found some lovely baby clothes, toys, ornaments/bric a brac etc ... and even if they only get 50p for them it's still money in their box. :thumb:

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
Is anyone else a Womble?

On a CCC site recently, I fished out a travel kettle - worked perfectly, cleaned it up, flogged it on another site for a fiver.

I usually have a motorhome boot sale every month, just ask the warden on a site and hey presto, stuff for sale in front of the van. The last one yielded about £30. This is purely stuff from skips and bins on site.

I do particularly well at the end of the season on sites that have seasonals - you would not believe it!

Anyone else, or is it just me with this illness?

A man after my own heart, Skippy is my nickname, :thumb:

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a wobble, got a perfectly good awning carpet out of the bin, covers my awning twice , plus other bits.
Keep Wobbling.:Smile:

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Skiprat ... hubby used to do that! Where he was working outside his window was a skip for putting furniture, old pcs etc in (this was before the days of WEEE - electrical equipment disposal regs), he would keep his eyes open and if something 'interesting' was in there he'd have a shuftie, he even had a special 'hoiking' stick with a hook on it!!! It got to the point that the porters didn't bother throwing some stuff in and just knocked on his store door and asked him if he wanted it first! I don't know how many pcs he got and repaired then sold ... must have brought in a fair bit of dosh over the years!

Since then he's taken up going to car boot sales to pick up stuff to sell on - this is since he left work over 4 years ago for something to keep himself occupied ... now he's addicted! :Doh: He was known as the 'dog cage' man for a couple of years as he found a cheap supplier and pretty much cornered the local market! :Smile:

Now he dabbles in various things, but he's known as the 'tent' man - he's picked up bargains from shops (B&Q, Tesco etc) when they 'dump' seasonal camping stuff at silly prices and then sells them on when the season starts again ... however he made a mistake a couple of years ago when Tesco decided to dump a load of large tents ridiculously cheap. As Tesco were known to just 'cancel' orders sometimes for no apparent reason he did 6 for 10 tents each time ... but this backfired ... it was the ONLY occasion that EVERY ONE OF THE ORDERS WAS PROCESSED!!!! :Eeek: We had tents stacked everywhere!!!! :roflmto:

At Peterborough show he went to put some rubbish in the bins and came back with a gas kettle, some wooden poles from a wind break (which I'll use in the garden) and a step! :Doh: You won't believe the stuff that people sling! I never go to the local recycling centre (aka tip) with him as I can't bear to see the amount of stuff that is thrown away which is still usable. At car boot sales I look at the discarded bits and pieces people leave behind when they pack-up (I have no shame! :Blush: ) to see if there is anything for the charity shops (as they are always wanting items) and have found some lovely baby clothes, toys, ornaments/bric a brac etc ... and even if they only get 50p for them it's still money in their box. :thumb:

Don't mention charidy shops

We are clearing out pending a move after 28 years

Went past the tip to 3 charidy shops
Asked em if they wanted the games and books
We had saved

Told me chuck we don't want it
Went back to the tip everything else will follow it

Except the cables and wires neatly stored in the garage
That's a wire stripping job for next week
And scrap from me plumbing days
All going to the totters yard in tilbury

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
Rapide561

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Womble

I estimate the value of goods - at my next motorhome boot sale - is about £100 worth. All these things were rescued on this holiday. Thanks to the kind people who throw out good chairs, Camping Gaz cylinders, trays, pans, a kettle and a pair of size 9 Nike Air trainers - they look almost new - I'm a ten or I would have washed them and kept them.

Russ

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back