Are you allowed to park a car on aires overnight..? (2 Viewers)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
If you are traveling in France with a mpv, can you park in the aires overnight sleeping in the car.?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Strictly speaking NO they are for "camping cars" as the French say.
If the place is barely occupied it is unlikely that you will be challenged but if busy you might get some justified aggression.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Well.... If it is ONLY an aire the answer is No. But if it says espace pique nique , jeux pour enfants or anything else which doesn't make it restrictive, then it means you can use it. The one we left this morning was one of those. You can use it to picnic, and so use the tables. You can use it to park if you want to do the one km walk in the woods, or as an overnight stop. It is in Saint Dizant-de-Gua department number 17 ..for Charentes-Maritimes.

Amicalement

Frankie:cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
The French love their rules and regulations, but rarely take any notice of them. However, on small busy Aires, not even the French would park a car.

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Strictly speaking NO they are for "camping cars" as the French say.
If the place is barely occupied it is unlikely that you will be challenged but if busy you might get some justified aggression.

Hmmm... Well Andy, I'll try it on here...lol " when is a camping car not a camping car" if I have water, a toilet, and seats for a bed is it not a camping car..? After all there are lots of old comercial vans out there with basic facilities in them that get away with it..!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Perhaps it is a size issue? If car parks were overrun with camping cars there would be bedlam.
Hence Aire de service du campingcar.
I imagine if the man who collects the money comes across your MPV he might object

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Hmmm... Well Andy, I'll try it on here...lol " when is a camping car not a camping car" if I have water, a toilet, and seats for a bed is it not a camping car..? After all there are lots of old comercial vans out there with basic facilities in them that get away with it..!
It also has to have fixed cooking facilities to be a camping car, I think.

Denise

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Perhaps it is a size issue? If car parks were overrun with camping cars there would be bedlam.
Hence Aire de service du campingcar

It's your fault Andy... Lol. I've been to many of the places in you aires pictures, but only visiting when in caravan and gites.. Just so love it around that area... I did have a motor home but not at the moment so while I'm waiting for funds for the next one I'm going around France wild camping in a small tent but it would be good and convenient to park in these aires to refresh...

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
There's lots of aires with a barrier entry/exit where there is oodles of space and no one would question.
St valery sur Somme for one. Le treport funicular rarely full and payment by ticket machine etc etc

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
It also has to have fixed cooking facilities to be a camping car, I think.

Denise

I can always screw my cooker to the floor of the boot..lol

I'm saying all this with a lot of jest, but as said I just love it over there and will probably wild camp and stay on some sites now and again. I intent to go for 3-4 weeks and as I'm in a wheelchair it would be good to know that I could dash into an aire if I get caught without somewhere else to stay for the night...

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
you can park anywhere in such a stealthy vehicle..why attract the wrath of motor homers :). but I sympathise and agree out of season cant see a problem

maybe make it look more like a camper with some stickers if you insist:D

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
you can park anywhere in such a stealthy vehicle..why attract the wrath of motor homers :). but I sympathise and agree out of season cant see a problem

maybe make it look more like a camper with some stickers if you insist:D

Haha.. It is a Peugeot .... So will fit in nicely .. I could try and construct a fake pop top.... Haha

Joking aside I would only use one if it's quiet and needs must... And of course I would buy a ticket....

After all.... I wouldn't want just anybody parking in my disabled bay....haha or is that another thread...:whistle:

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Having said what I did in my previous post, I really think you'd be OK in a lot of aires, after all some of them are actually a few MH spaces in a car park.

Enjoy France when you go.

Denise

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Think I've found a solution... :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 38
Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've seen folk sleeping in aires in MPVs. If your sleeping in it. it's a camping car. :) If tackled about it just shrug and then ignore them. The French phrase "Camping car tres petite" or something like that might work.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Most of the aires we stop in , don't think anyone would notice you are there unless it's full, if it's free no one is going to come round for the money , and if you do use the water or emptying you would be paying like any one else, and there are plenty of them so wouldn't be hard to find another one close by.
Btw this is a regular occurrence here at gravelines, fishermen.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 11
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
There are lots of aires out there that you don't have to pay anything some with free electric,I would think in the low season you would have no problems go and enjoy it ASAP.

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Most of the aires we stop in , don't think anyone would notice you are there unless it's full, if it's free no one is going to come round for the money , and if you do use the water or emptying you would be paying like any one else, and there are plenty of them so wouldn't be hard to find another one close by.
Btw this is a regular occurrence here at gravelines, fishermen.

Thanks chaser, I've looked at a lot of pictures of aires and quite a few do have cars parked in them and suspect as you mentioned...

I don't intend to sleep in the car much, would prefer my cosy sleeping bag on a blow up mattress in the pop-up tent by a nice lake, river or in the woods, most of the day will be looking around the lovely villages as I intend to keep of the Beaton track and pay no tolls .... I'm looking at going around clockwise, Dunkirk, Reims, Dijon, Lyon, down to Monaco and then along the coast then back up through Limoges, I only intend to pop into these big towns for the day while camping on the outside of them....

But of course I'm open to any suggestions from any one as I will go anywhere it takes my fancy...
I have nothing but time...

I am grateful for or your comments, gives me a bit of confidence...

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Don't forget the Municipal Campsites, not too expensive outside of July/August and if you are camping somewhere hot a shower at the end of the day will be a blessing. I've done a bit of cycling and camping in France and always used campsites. I've seen a few cyclists camping beside canals and the like, fine for a weekend but over time things will get a bit smelly - unless of course you want to use the canal for a swim!

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
This aire would be great for you loads of space to pitch your tent and park it's at Sainte-Maurice-la-Fougereuse inland from La Rochelle.
image.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back