Are You a One Handed Driver?? (1 Viewer)

Do You Normally drive With One Hand On The Wheel ??

• Yes

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • No

Votes: 47 40.9%
  • Occasionally

Votes: 37 32.2%

• Total voters
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
OK be honest when you were taught to drive it was two hands on the wheel at about ten to two (not the time):RollEyes:

Are you now a one handed driver as many appear to be, if so would you be in control if you brushed the kerb or had a sudden tyre failure :Eeek:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
OK be honest when you were taught to drive it was two hands on the wheel at about ten to two (not the time):RollEyes:

Are you now a one handed driver as many appear to be, if so [HI]would you be in control if you brushed the kerb or had a sudden tyre failure[/HI] :Eeek:

yep, cos my knee under the wheel would stop it being pulled from my hand :roflmto:

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
eating my lunch would be impossible otherwise:RollEyes: only use knees when eating my yoghurt:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i was also taught, when turning, to slide/shuffle the wheel between hands.
Now it is perfectly acceptable to cross hands over the wheel.
I was taught to use the gearbox to slow down and brake to stop.
Now its acceptable to brake to a standstill without changing down.
I was taught to keep both hands on the wheel while twisting your neck like the girl in the exorcist to see out the rear window when reversing round a corner.
Now its acceptable to steer with one hand while supporting your body with your other arm on the seatback or centre console.

All the above are now allowed on a driving test

Acceptable methods and standards change.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Many many years ago when I used to smoke I could roll an Old Holburn while driving :Eeek::Eeek:barmy

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
eating my lunch would be impossible otherwise:RollEyes: only use knees when eating my [HI]yoghurt[/HI]:ROFLMAO:

Yoghurt: easy peasy, now watch me eat a bowl of corn-flakes with milk without spilling a drop, the knees give us a steadier ride than the hands ever did at ten to two...........:ROFLMAO:

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
stop at road junction look right look left look right again .if safe proceed .remember that .never see much of that today do you :cry: mind you i did pass my test 48 years ago :Eeek:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
er block changing whilst accelerating or slowing, one hand on the wheel tother on the gearshift. mind you i like a relaxed driving stance with my arm resting on the door whilst cruising leaving my other hand free to do whatever else i need to do.

i dont hit kerbs and am confident my reflexes and strong hands could control the wheel if anything unexpected were to happen. years of experience behind the wheel for many many thousands of miles help too

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
stop at road junction [HI]look right look left look right again[/HI] .if safe proceed .remember that .never see much of that today do you :cry: mind you i did pass my test 48 years ago :Eeek:

nowhere near enough 'looks' in modern traffic.
Im still looking both ways while carrying out the manouvere.

Constant, and concentrated, vigilance is the only way to pull out

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
only when i have a can of beer in one hand:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Depends to some extent on the vehicle. In the van is both hands comfortably, except when changing gear. In Landrover, because of the position of the armrests it's more comfortable one handed so I sometimes do so.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
i was also taught, when turning, to slide/shuffle the wheel between hands.
Now it is perfectly acceptable to cross hands over the wheel.

Indeed. It was proven to be safer, as you can turn the wheel more quickly whilst maintaining full control. The original diktat was due to power steering being unusual and requiring great strength.

In the past, brakes were poor and prone to fade, so needed to be conserved. These days brakes are effective, cheap and dissipate energy more quickly, whilst clutches, gearboxes and engines have become more expensive and harder to replace. It is far more sensible to use your brakes these days, rather than doing lots of gear changes and putting unnecessary revs on the engine. Of course, even more sensible still is to anticipate conditions and use neither brakes nor high engine revolutions where possible.

I was taught to keep both hands on the wheel while twisting your neck like the girl in the exorcist to see out the rear window when reversing round a corner.
Now its acceptable to steer with one hand while supporting your body with your other arm on the seatback or centre console.

In reality, this gives a much better view, so is a safer method than that previously taught.

Acceptable methods and standards change.

Which is good, as it provides safer and more economical motoring.

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010

My driving instructor about 25 years ago told me to just use the brakes (and engine braking from the gear I was in) rather than slow through the gears, because "it's cheaper to replace the brakes rather than the gearbox" ::bigsmile:

Might explain why I warped so many front discs on my old AX :Blush:

Now that I'm back to discs + drums on the Doblo, I'm actually using the gearbox again on occasions when it's loaded-up.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Oh dear, looks like I would fail a driving test then.
Feed the wheel, change down through the box, only use brakes to actually stop, spend as much time looking in mirrors as looking through windscreen, have to think where the horn is located as I drive defensively, drove company cars and never had replacement gearbox or clutch.
Own car done 170,000 miles, same gearbox and clutch despite tugging caravans with it for 16 years. In fact, never needed clutch or gearbox in 48 years on any vehicle. Would be upset if tyres didn't do 20,000 miles except 2 Litre turbo Rover 25, only got 10,000 but did it go!
Don't sit in traffic in gear with clutch depressed but select neutral and NEVER pull on handbrake so the clicking of the ratchet can be heard. :Sad:

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Yes ,one handed but only because I have lost 30% use of my right arm.Still safe to drive as I took one of the knobs!! off my truck :ROFLMAO:LHD means I can still change gear easily.
Most of my friends say right arm still stronger than theirs even with less strength so still out there doing it.:thumb:

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Two Hands on the wheel always (when Mrs Colpot is with me!)

I was taught (35+ years ago) to change down through the gears when slowing down. On a recent Advanced Driving Course the instructor kept reminding us 50 year olds - Brakes to Slow and Gears to Go as this is the norm nowadays.
The discussion about double de-clutching and no 1st Gear Synchromesh was over his head though.(I can still remember my Dads look when I tried to put his beloved Austin Cambridge into 1st when it was still moving.)

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I will admit to eating a sandwich or Mars bar when driving, maybe even a slurp of drink if SWMBO is there to pass me the bottle.

If we are talking really dangerous what about trying to put the straw into one of those orange juice cartons, I would never do such a thing of course.

Paul

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I drive as I feel comfortable to do so.

This falls in the same area as wearing full protective gear on a motorcycle..

How ?

Wellllllllllllllllllllllll

If I am comfortable when driving, I am relaxed and am concentrating on the road and not worrying about how I physically feel.

Same on a bike.. I see folk insist on wearing all the gear ( for safety ) on a red hot day and riding for 8 hours.
They are dehydrated, sweating buckets, and far from comfy. How on earth can that be considered safe ?

Drive comfy and the only thing to watch out for is tiredness.. Drive using an unnatural posture and your mind cannot hope to remain on the road..

I am willing to bet that ALL of us actually drive comfy no matter if you use one hand two hands or drive with a unicycle stuck up your bum !
It is the natural thing to do ( not drive with a unicycle in a strange place but drive in a comfy position

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
I am afraid I drive as I was taught to 40+ years ago, did try to cross hands going round a corner at the top of our lane once, never again, don`t know why I did :Doh: didn`t feel safe so reverted back to how I do, feeding the wheel through my hands, I still use the gears, coming up to traffic lights ,corners and slow traffic etc, I am comfortable with this, after 40 +years I am not going to changed now, it worked then and works now, if younger ones didn`t drive on their brakes there may be fewer accidents.

Yesterday going out of the village we have a chicane where going out has priority, I was in MH as it is my everyday vehicle, I had pulled out about to go through, when a young women hurtling down the road , pushed to get through, if I hadn`t stopped she would have hit me, no respect for the road sign at all, I hit the horn, didn`t do any good, made me feel better though, with idiots on the road like that no wonder their insurance premiums are high. I have notice most of the time it is the young drivers, mostly female that never seem to have a minute to be courteous, good manners cost nothing and makes driving more pleasurable. When you see how some of the driving instructors drive when they are on their own, around here anyway, it is no wonder the pupils cannot drive, they are taught just to pass their test and not to drive, there is a difference.
I know I will not pass a test or advanced drivers as I use my gears, not bothered about that, I drive for safety in my view, gears are there to be used anyway, brakes can fail no matter whether improved or not, how will some cope when the brakes fail they wouldn`t have a clue to use their gears, it happened to me when I was driving my Fathers car, coming up to a corner, found I didn`t have brakes when nearly there, told my Father he said they "were" ok, we were not far from home and got there safely, took it to the garage round the corner, the brake cylinders had leaked.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I sometimes drive with no hands when I have to go get a beer from the fridge :Smile:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I sometimes drive with no hands when I have to go get a beer from the fridge :Smile:

Aint that what the cruise control is for.. When we are on a long long straight road I just pop that on and go and sit in the back to have lunch with woman

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
let me ask the question another way,,
Are you a two handed driver? :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.