'Are you a Gypsy?' Ikea tells caravan owner that Travellers are barred from its car p

Discussion in 'Motorhomes in the News' started by scotjimland, Jun 13, 2012.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Furniture giant Ikea has been caught up in a racism row after insisting it was lawful to employ security guards to stop Gypsies entering its car parks.

The issue was first raised by Luke Massey, who was angered after he, his girlfriend and her mother were challenged as they tried to enter the car park of the Ikea store in Croydon, Surrey. The trio arrived in a camper van. Mr Massey said: "We were flagged down by a car park attendant. When my partner's mum, who was driving, wound down the window, he just said 'Are you Gypsies?'

Read More

2. Mavis

Mavis Funster

We were at a Kent Rally at a school at East Grinstead and as we arrived so did the Police about 25 mins later.
    Residents had reported us as a band of gypsies.:Doh:

• Like Like x 6
  3. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

Well done IKEA..

4. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Surely Mr Joseph Jones would be acting more positively if he took steps to ensure that his members undertook not to set up illegal caravan sites in the first place. Ikea seems to have acted perfectly properly to prevent a trespass rather than authorised use of their land.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Graham, a point of order

Trespass is now the act of entering a place or domain with intent to damage or cause injury

And in the UK it is an absolute bugger to prove until AFTER the damage or injury has been caused..

Sooo.. Not so much a point of order but more a question.

Is the term 'to prevent a trespass' arcane or perhaps been superseded by something new, as in the form used it would appear it presumes guilt before the event ?

• Like Like x 1
  6. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

It is private land

It is private land, only a licence to enter the car park is given. The company has a right to with draw that licence at anytime .. Also it is ok to check on anyone so entering... I think IKEA have done nothing wrong.

Bob

• Like Like x 5
  7. ShiftZZ

Jaws, are you one of them?

Slobobobobobobo & Treacle types?

• Like Like x 2
  8. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

I run a buisness in a area that is completly surround by gypsies---Gates--locks--bars--cameras-- I am thinking as i sit here looking through my barred up windows, i feel like Custers last stand :thumb:

• Like Like x 5
  9. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

Ditto = Salford

I feel like custard.

:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 2
  10. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

The (civil) tort of trespass can be of three types - to the person, to goods and to land. There is also criminal trespass.

I was using trespass in the sense of trespass to land - defined as "any unjustifiable intrusion by a person upon the land in possession of another" and actionable in the courts whether or not the claimant has suffered any damage. This definition is included in parliamentary briefing paper SB05116 (www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/SN05116.pdf) which was published in February this year.

Could it be that the definition you quote is to goods/person, rather than land, or the criminal act?

11. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Ikea sell so much shit they might well attract gypsies

• Like Like x 3
  12. ShiftZZ

There you go Sundance, not good enough for Treacle Mansions....

• Like Like x 3
  13. Bushtrekker

Bushtrekker Read Only Funster

I'm going to IKEA this week.

The one that says it's Ikea Birmingham, although it's about ten miles away in Wednesbury. I must get out those tarot cards and borrow my wife's earrings:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

No idea Graham ! Not being a legal eagle ( or indeed beagle ) I am just quoting from memory..

However.. a couple of interesting points raised by both yourself and Bob..

Now that statement is rather obtuse as the owner of said land must prove the intrusion as unjust or unjustifiable..

And Bob, whilst I agree with you absolutely........

In todays litigious environment would a case not be argued that removing a licence based on the heritage of the person being stopped is tantamount to racism ?
    I would suggest the licencee must show good cause to remove said licence vis vis the individual rather than the race ( yes I appreciate this is, in real life a load of tosh, but we are talking legal'ees here :Smile: )

Although not a gypsy in any way shape of form, I am directly related by marriage to a huge Gypsy family ( none of whom have been 'on the road' for at least 3 generations ) and do know for an absolute certainty the Romany community have played the race card on a few occasions .. and to good effect I might add

15. JohnH

JohnH Funster

I would have thought that we all have the right to allow or disallow who enters our property. The racism bit surely could only have come into play if you said you cannot come on my land purely on the basis of ethnicity. If you said this car park is for customers (as in buying goods from me) then what is the problem. Not many travelling folk buy Ikea furniture for their vans. Of course there are exceptions before I get shot down in flames. I regularly go to B&Q in my van because it holds more than a Toyota Yaris. Just think of all of the "lovely" flat packs I could get in a van conversion.

16. joner8888

If you had the hassle i had with them, sorry --- sod the racial and ethnicity bit ---if you drive new transit --speak irish--ask" how much money be havin in yur poket"--dont pay for items--- break locks off ---- dont come in here:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  17. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

The problem is, until after the event who is to say the person or persons being refused entry is not a bona fide customer ?

I am only being devils advocate here you understand.. We suffer at the hands of travellers ourselves here in Thetford.. in fact we have just had yet another lot plot up within a few hundred yards of my house.. So it is back to locking everything up and ensuring all 6 security cameras are working properly every damned night again !! :Angry:

18. chesterfield hooligan

chesterfield hooligan Funster

:Rofl1: are gypsie's not allowed to buy from Ikea :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  19. joner8888

Real Irish people live 300 miles away--if they turn up here and i detect the slightest tang of the accent, i add 500% to the price and say cash up front---they don`t seem interested then:thumb:
    I have been bitten before-- not again !

• Like Like x 1
  20. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I think we have to separate the "race" issue from anything else. English Gypsies and Irish Travellers are ethnic groups recognised by the Race Relations Amendment Act 2000 and, as such have certain rights, including a right to a nomadic lifestyle. Those rights do not extend to other travellers (including motorhomers) who are not in those ethnic groups. See the Redcar & Cleveland Council Gypsy & Traveller Strategy (picked because its where I used to work and had some exposure to the problems) for further information.

However, the rights under the RRAA do not allow the right to trespass on land. Ikea (in this case) are not withholding any licence based on race but on potential actions of people who might use the car park for more than the authorised use of parking whilst shopping at the store. As the last paragraph of the report referenced in the OP makes clear, Ikea have taken their action after identifying a problem and taking appropriate advice.