LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Both our dogs were chipped and vaccinated against rabies and they had a booster every year , when Ive spoken to people abroad with dogs they all have had the vaccination card Im sure its compulsory. And they are very vigilant at customs when we have used the tunnel, you have to declare when booking and pay for your animals unless you go into the wilds and let your dogs run free you aren't likely to run the risk of rabies. To get a passport you must get your dogs done against rabies but not if you are staying in the U.K.
That's exactly my point. The pets that go abroad are fully vaccinated plus we regularly take her to the vet and especially for passport on renewal in time so certainly she won't get rabies or other nasties and as far as we are aware there's no extra risks whatsoever in Europe than in the UK (nearly tempted about the B word) because of vaccination and pet control.

OP
OP
Diggerdi
Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
Over 6000 miles between 3 March to 26 September 2017.
@GJH, must be an East Manchester thing, we're from just the other side of Ashton under Lyne (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: GJH
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
That's exactly my point. The pets that go abroad are fully vaccinated plus we regularly take her to the vet and especially for passport on renewal in time so certainly she won't get rabies or other nasties and as far as we are aware there's no extra risks whatsoever in Europe than in the UK (nearly tempted about the B word) because of vaccination and pet control.

Processionnary Caterpillars and Sand Flies come to mind,,,BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Your choice in life but don't knock until you have tried it,,.For motor homing France must be the most ideal country in the world,,how i envy French motorhomers,,for weather all year except July and August how can you beat Spain,,and for roads, easy driving and scenery they are both unbeatable,,Well thats my opinion...Give it a try,,,BUSBY:):)

Cilfan

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
Flint North Wales
Funster No
MH
Desperately Seeking
Exp
Devout Wannabe
Everyone keeps saying to us "oh, you must go to France, it's really geared up to motorhoming". However, we have no interest whatsoever in going abroad anywhere (other than, maybe, Ireland), and never have.
More an enigma than unique I'd say. Don't get me wrong, it's your MH, money and lives and you are fully entitled to use all three as you see fit. However, your broad and somewhat "cast in stone" statement compels me to ask the question that everyone else seems to have (delicately) avoided:

WHY?

The pros and cons of motor homing in mainland Europe Vs the UK are undeniably weighted in favour of the former. So why deny yourselves all those positives? Surely the answer is more than "It just doesn't appeal"!

Oh, almost forgot, BBQ's? Yup, personally I love em. But they are best enjoyed with a group of people rather than just two of you IMO.
Note to self: Must be getting old, used to have a barbie at the drop of a hat. Even one New Years Eve if memory serves.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
No restrictions on what you do or do not do in a motorhome as long as you respect others and the environment. I prefer being outside and the further south you go in Europe the better. While we cook outside a barbecue is more trouble than it's worth for 2 people. Serious UK touring can keep until personal insurance becomes too expensive on the continent.

Brightonian

Free Member
Nov 27, 2015
City of Brighton & Hove
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 Years
Yesterday drove MH to Seaford for a day out by the sea. Guess what! No MH parking on seafront:mad: Plenty of empty spaces but signs all along seafront saying no parking for motorhomes.
Today wanted to visit Southwater country park Horsham with grandkids. Thought take MH as kids really love days out in MH, but best phone and find out if there are height barriers at carpark. Yep lady tells me they have height barriers so can't take MH....Typical (n)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I once remember us in a airs in France a British van pulled in very posh gezer we had the BBQ going he promoly ask us how long we would be
I winked at the wife and ask her how many we're coming to our BBQ her reply was we have abut 60 turning up later thay got in thee van and pissed off
Bill

OP
OP
Diggerdi
Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
More an enigma than unique I'd say. Don't get me wrong, it's your MH, money and lives and you are fully entitled to use all three as you see fit. However, your broad and somewhat "cast in stone" statement compels me to ask the question that everyone else seems to have (delicately) avoided:

WHY?

The pros and cons of motor homing in mainland Europe Vs the UK are undeniably weighted in favour of the former. So why deny yourselves all those positives? Surely the answer is more than "It just doesn't appeal"!

Oh, almost forgot, BBQ's? Yup, personally I love em. But they are best enjoyed with a group of people rather than just two of you IMO.
Note to self: Must be getting old, used to have a barbie at the drop of a hat. Even one New Years Eve if memory serves.

My immediate family, as a whole, have never been abroad. If truth be known, I'm frightened of being so far away from home. If anything bad happened in this country whether I was at Land's End or John O'Groat's, I know I could get home somehow. If there was an ocean/sea to get across, it makes it much more difficult. I'm also a very fussy eater and don't eat any 'foreign' food (Indian, Chinese, Meditteranean etc). I'm also worried that I wouldn't be understood or could understand. I know I'm a 'wuss', but it's just the way I am. I'm also not bothered about hot weather, I'm happy as long as it's bright and reasonably warm.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I know I'm a 'wuss', but it's just the way I am.

One "hand held" visit to France and we'd never get you back.

I'm pure Manchester, fish 'n' chips is a delicacy for me. It's got to be good fish 'n' chips ! Abroad, you take you own food anyway or go into a supermarket and buy what you want. Not problems in supermarket, the French one's are fantastic and accept Brit CC.

Wife fell of bike in Spain and broke collar bone, yes a bit of language problems but she had 3 days in hospital all thanks to E111 card.

So two reasons to go, sights we don't have and better weather.

OP
OP
Diggerdi
Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
@hilldweller, I also don't wish to pay about ÂŁ200 and all the associated palaver of getting two passports that we might only use once! A friend's ex-husband felt that he was being interrogated when he applied for his first ever passport at age 58

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Yesterday drove MH to Seaford for a day out by the sea. Guess what! No MH parking on seafront:mad: Plenty of empty spaces but signs all along seafront saying no parking for motorhomes.
Today wanted to visit Southwater country park Horsham with grandkids. Thought take MH as kids really love days out in MH, but best phone and find out if there are height barriers at carpark. Yep lady tells me they have height barriers so can't take MH....Typical (n)

You don't have that problem very often on The Continent,,,BUSBY.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
You don't have that problem very often on The Continent,,,BUSBY.

Sure don't just pulled in here for our last stop in Sicily. First days rain since we left UK last week of August but it clearing up nicely.

IMAG0255.jpg

Andy H

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
IH Tio Savanah PVC
Exp

Very sad to read this. Seaford is our nearest beach, and I love swimming there. It's totally unnecessary, there is loads of parking, and it's rarely that busy. Must be fairly recent as I'm sure I've seen Moho's parked there in the past.

We recently went to Wilmington and the car park there had a no Moho sign, and earlier this year a similar sign appeared at Forest Row village car park. The same at Uckfield main town car park. Seems that Wealden and Lewes District councils would prefer Motorhomers to spend their money elsewhere. That's another reason we'll be heading across the channel when we get ours, it seems obvious that motorhomers are more welcome on the continent.

Andy

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Very sad to read this. Seaford is our nearest beach, and I love swimming there. It's totally unnecessary, there is loads of parking, and it's rarely that busy. Must be fairly recent as I'm sure I've seen Moho's parked there in the past.

We recently went to Wilmington and the car park there had a no Moho sign, and earlier this year a similar sign appeared at Forest Row village car park. The same at Uckfield main town car park. Seems that Wealden and Lewes District councils would prefer Motorhomers to spend their money elsewhere. That's another reason we'll be heading across the channel when we get ours, it seems obvious that motorhomers are more welcome on the continent.

Andy
Seaford has appeared in a number of posts on various forums over the years as a "recommended" overnight stopping place. Maybe East Sussex CC has received too many complaints from fed up residents.

I don't know East Sussex well but my brother lives in Forest Row. We visited the village a couple of years ago and I didn't think Lower Road car park was particularly suitable for motorhomes of any size. I guess that the new sign may be to deter breaches of existing restrictions - Google street view shows a sign saying 3050 KG Maximum GVW and that's in a 2009 photo.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
y.

I take my hat off for any northern Scots who drive all the way to Spain or Morocco.

Some poor souls transport live fresh Langostines all the way here from up there .:D

UK is great when its warm and and dry and your at your destination after the terrible traffic and bad driving.

& that about sums it up.

Processionnary Caterpillars and Sand Flies come to mind,,,BUSBY.

Available now in the UK:LOL:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rging-people-report-nests-soon-spot-them.html

+you have Alabama foot root which we don't have to worry about here , at present.

Andy H

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
IH Tio Savanah PVC
Exp
I don't know East Sussex well but my brother lives in Forest Row. We visited the village a couple of years ago and I didn't think Lower Road car park was particularly suitable for motorhomes of any size. I guess that the new sign may be to deter breaches of existing restrictions - Google street view shows a sign saying 3050 KG Maximum GVW and that's in a 2009 photo.

It's clearly not suitable for large Moho's, but I would have thought smaller vehicles would ok, especially if it wasn't busy, seem to remember seeing vans parked there in the past. You would hope people use a bit of common sense. The sign is new (I think this year) and it has icons showing Moho's, caravans and commercial vehicles with red lines thru them, exactly the same sign as at Wilmington (and at Uckfield main town car park). So, if you been up on the the forest for a day and fancy a meal or refreshments after, you have the choice, break the regulations (and risk a fine), park on street and possibly cause a nuisance or take your money somewhere else. I don't live in Forest Row but I do live in the area, and to me it seems daft that the local authority seem uninterested in attracting business from motorhome owners. It doesn't actually affect me as I would not be using our van for local journeys anyway.

Andy

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It's clearly not suitable for large Moho's, but I would have thought smaller vehicles would ok, especially if it wasn't busy, seem to remember seeing vans parked there in the past. You would hope people use a bit of common sense. The sign is new (I think this year) and it has icons showing Moho's, caravans and commercial vehicles with red lines thru them, exactly the same sign as at Wilmington (and at Uckfield main town car park). So, if you been up on the the forest for a day and fancy a meal or refreshments after, you have the choice, break the regulations (and risk a fine), park on street and possibly cause a nuisance or take your money somewhere else. I don't live in Forest Row but I do live in the area, and to me it seems daft that the local authority seem uninterested in attracting business from motorhome owners. It doesn't actually affect me as I would not be using our van for local journeys anyway.

Andy
I agree, people should use common sense. Many car parks (and I expect Lower Road is one of them) are not only restricted as far as accessibility and maneuverability are concerned but they are also not constructed for regular use by large vehicles. People should use their common sense and make sure a car park is suitable rather than just assuming it is because it is in a convenient place.

One thing that did strike me about Forest Row is that, just like the centres of many of our towns and villages, the historic nature of its layout means that it is not really suited to vehicle use in the first place. That sort of layout takes a lot of money to change and demolishing propertied just to make space for large vehicle parking is often unpopular wherever it happens. The benefits of attracting business from motorhome owners can easily, therefore, be negated.

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
Diggerdi – just remember when you pull up at the side of the road in the UK – your habitation door on the Pilote opens out on to the road and not the pavement.

I'm afraid my Pilote usually heads south and across the Channel when we take it out – back to the land of its birth!

Don't forget to join the underused forums of the Pilote Owners Association - (www.piloteowners.co.uk) – they could do with a boost in membership.

PILOTE 2.jpg

Nov 1, 2015
Norwich
Funster No
MH
RAPIDO 686F
Exp
@reckless, I don't like the smoke or the smell either. Unfortunately, we have new neighbours next door to us, a couple of young lads, and I'm sure they would bbq every day if they could (they have done so in the rain ). It has stopped me enjoying my garden as I can't sit out there with the smoke and smell - and what really annoys me is when I have washing out, grrrr. Oops, sorry, gone a bit off thread.
I can only endorse other posts on how great France is but my reason for responding is,yes we bbq but because of Wildbill, another funster on here, posting about his great building project of a pizza oven we bought one as not capable of doing what Bill did. With a great deal of hassle at getting said 450 kg oven in position where SHMBO demanded ( I must say, at this point , against me mentioning it'll piss the neighbors off ) after first curing the oven, the first proper burn up resulted in neighbors rushing round thinking we where on fire and , smoke ? Christ you would not want it.
Now repositioned, better wood ect ,the whole family can't believe the great pizzas we are now enjoying. So thanks to Wildbill for his post and reason for all of this is to let you know what a wonderful and informative forum this is.
Ray

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
After reading all the above I can only conclude that Woman and I are odd ball as well.

Neither of us enjoy France much.. But Germany.. Italy.. Spain.. Croatia.. Hungary.. love them all

Oh and although we have a Cadac I do not think it has seen action more than 3 times..

ColtheCamper

Free Member
Jan 28, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer E510
Exp
1 year
In France at the moment, down at Carcassonne, been travelling since Sunday stopping off at places various. Always room, mostly sunny and warm, lovely people, lovely roads, lovely diesel prices, great baguettes, nice patisseries, great beer, smashing wine, oh, and it's mostly warm and sunny, did I already say that? Carrying on on Sunday going ever southwards, no lorries on a Sunday. Great. No traffic jams, mostly warm and sunny and I'll still be in shorts and t shirts at Christmas. Loving it.

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
A relative newbie...ex caravanner
...or just unusual? As mentioned previously we are newbies, having just ordered a Pilote Pacific motorhome for collection in March. Everyone keeps saying to us "oh, you must go to France, it's really geared up to motorhoming". However, we have no interest whatsoever in going abroad anywhere (other than, maybe, Ireland), and never have. We love the UK, especially Cornwall and Scotland, and are looking forward to discovering many new areas.

The other thing that probably makes us "odd" is that we don't like barbecued food, but barbecues seem to be a prerequisite of any type of camping. Will we be "blackballed" for not joining in with the mania for outdoor cooking lol?

Is there anyone else out there like us? I hate to feel we are the only two people in the motorhoming fraternity thst feel as we do.
Each to their own. We moved from being 'tuggers' to MH"ers and have travelled on the continent and, of course here in Britain. France is nice if you don't hit it at holiday times. Their roads are much better than ours, traffic and condition wise, and you get to practice your 'Franglais', which they don't understand and then they rattle off something in a staccato which you don't understand...but you end up somehow getting somewhere! BUT, there are so many places here in our own country that are gobsmackingly lovely that you could spend the next umpteen years exploring. Whatever and wherever you decide on just enjoy the motor homing experience

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
...or just unusual? As mentioned previously we are newbies, having just ordered a Pilote Pacific motorhome for collection in March. Everyone keeps saying to us "oh, you must go to France, it's really geared up to motorhoming". However, we have no interest whatsoever in going abroad anywhere (other than, maybe, Ireland), and never have. We love the UK, especially Cornwall and Scotland, and are looking forward to discovering many new areas.

The other thing that probably makes us "odd" is that we don't like barbecued food, but barbecues seem to be a prerequisite of any type of camping. Will we be "blackballed" for not joining in with the mania for outdoor cooking lol?

Is there anyone else out there like us? I hate to feel we are the only two people in the motorhoming fraternity thst feel as we do.
PS. We don't like BBQ's either!
You sound a bit like us, we have no burning desire to see France but may try it once and drive to Spain to visit relatives but if it doesn't happen we won't be upset. We still have a lot of places to visit in UK. We don't mind eating barbecued food but can't be bothered with procedure the Cadac is as close as it gets now.
If you do decide to drive through France to Spain just take your time. We went to the Vendee and then on to a wee place in the south not far from the Spanish border. I ended up driving between seven and ten hours to get to the sites we had booked. Big mistake! Ended up exhausted and not looking forward to the return trip. Suggest lots of short hops and you should arrive reasonably fresh...simples!

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
If you do decide to drive through France to Spain just take your time. We went to the Vendee and then on to a wee place in the south not far from the Spanish border. I ended up driving between seven and ten hours to get to the sites we had booked. Big mistake! Ended up exhausted and not looking forward to the return trip. Suggest lots of short hops and you should arrive reasonably fresh...simples!
Good point. But in reality booking is not really needed in France except if you are going to popular holiday destinations in July and August. That is the beauty of it. Just about every town and large village has somewhere you can stop for the night. Just back from 2 weeks away and didn't book once.

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
Good point. But in reality booking is not really needed in France except if you are going to popular holiday destinations in July and August. That is the beauty of it. Just about every town and large village has somewhere you can stop for the night. Just back from 2 weeks away and didn't book once.
Yup, found that out the hard way. First site was at Venise Vert, which was very nice but down the road was a very good aire which we discovered when we walked into the local village...doh! Lesson learned? Avoid going in July and August and stop frequently. As Arnie sad "I'll be back"!

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Currently into the final leg of a European trip that has taken in 5 countries and will see us pass through a sixth tomorrow. Most of what we've seen and the places we've visited couldn't be found in the UK, so I'm perfectly happy not to be counted among the 'unique'.

However, I'd be grateful if far more British MH owners could adopt the OP's stance and stay north of Channel, then there'd be less competition for campsite and aire pitches abroad. Give it some serious thought Funsters, please - I'm reliably informed that Skeggie is quite bracing at this time of the year :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back