Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
One or two.

That is one or two too many underachievers. The enlightened ones, the ones who do not have a locker full of umbrellas and sou'westers keep trying to educate them before you die of boredom and web feet.

There's a wonderous world out there just 26 miles across the water.

France is OK but mainly it leads to better places.
626 miles across :(

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I like Bbq's but I can take or leave France.

They can't even speak English in most places I have been to.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Ah, unique, not eunuch, oops, sorry. Well, we have two seasons behind us now and SHMBO does not want to go to France. Three reasons, distance, too hot for our lab and the migrant situation. I have almost talked her around however, next year we are doing all holidays in Scotland. Maybe in a few years time but as already said, it's your choice, no right or wrong, enjoy (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I spent my working life travelling the world & holidaying in Europe so my motorhome plan is to tour the UK, see all the bits I've not seen in the last 5 decades...
I have no doubt that France/Spain is "better" geared up for motorhoming but that doesn't mean - despite all the detractors who say otherwise - that it's impossible to have good trips/tours/excursions here in the UK.
There are many many options - Club sites, commercial sites, CL/CS, Britstops, Rallying or even whisper it... wild camping. None of which has to cost a fortune.

Now I like a BBQ as much as anyone else - but it can seem a bit pointless firing up for one. Don't see the point of gas. BBQ is charcoal or its not BBQ.
I do have a little Lidl "Florette" BBQ which is brilliant but I rarely use it... because for me a large part of touring is to eat out & about.

So no - you're not unique - use your van in the way that give you the most fun @Diggerdi

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
626 miles across :(

It's a big country. When folk say "drive to Spain" instead of the direct ferry they do not say "top to bottom is just the same as top of Scotland to south coast". Not many would just dismiss Scotland to Bournemouth as a trivial hop.

And for anyone ooop north I would think a day's rest on a boat better than that great journey.

I take my hat off for any northern Scots who drive all the way to Spain or Morocco.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
You earn your money, you spend it how you like. (y)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
...or just unusual? As mentioned previously we are newbies, having just ordered a Pilote Pacific motorhome for collection in March. Everyone keeps saying to us "oh, you must go to France, it's really geared up to motorhoming". However, we have no interest whatsoever in going abroad anywhere (other than, maybe, Ireland), and never have. We love the UK, especially Cornwall and Scotland, and are looking forward to discovering many new areas.

The other thing that probably makes us "odd" is that we don't like barbecued food, but barbecues seem to be a prerequisite of any type of camping. Will we be "blackballed" for not joining in with the mania for outdoor cooking lol?

Is there anyone else out there like us? I hate to feel we are the only two people in the motorhoming fraternity thst feel as we do.
I could have written that (y) We don't go abroad or like barbecues either :)

EyUp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Yorkshireman living in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Majestic 180
Exp
People forget sometime the UK has a lot of stunning places and of course, has so much history to go with it.
I LOVE the UK. I will venture over the borders but for people who 'dont do UK camping' its a great shame to miss out out on what is on your doorstep.

You're not odd at all (y)

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
Of course your not alone :D I hate to be next to a van barbecuing ! And as it goes against the grain for my O.H to cook anything besides tinned soup or beans WE don't have one.

As for going abroad , it's each to their own, this year is the first time in ten years we have stayed at home, but have found it more expensive on camp sites rather than Aires or stalplatz as in France and Germany.
The whole point of motor homing is it's easier to set up and move about, we have found that is easier on non club sites, the clubs seem to frown on people that just turn up ! We have used just one CCC site this year the rest have been C.L,s or private sites.

So for ease and weather abroad is more relaxing for us! But as other things like age and health are at the moment confining us to home I will except that as giving up I would hate.

Enjoy your van and don't follow the crowd be independent that is what camping is all about ! We have done the alternatives. (y)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
BBQ's I can take, or leave, though we do have one. France, the continent, love it, though I have always traveled. Joined the MN at 16 to 'see the world' and did. However, for one reason or another did not get abroad this year, stayed in the UK and still had a great time. We have been touring Scotland for 30 odd years but still managed to visit 9 islands we had not been to before. Just got back two days ago after a week in the Borders and Northumberland, fantastic time.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We also never barbecue, but lots of people do.

We started motorhoming almost 30 years ago and, for the first three years only travelled in UK. Then we crossed the Channel and tried France. That showed us what mainland Europe has to offer.

Since then we have visited Spain, Italy, Germany, (East and West), Slovenia, Croatia, Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark and Switzerland.

That is the beauty of owning a motorhome, you do what you want. You may well decide to stay in the UK forever, and there is lots to see. On the other hand you may decide, after a few years, to try Europe. It's your choice.

Whatever you decide, enjoy it!:)

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Hi there I think PJ is bang on the money.there are absolutely no expectations of you ,you do your own thing where ever you are.Myself and Jo are very similar ,we have no yearning to go abroad ,we just love the UK and all that it has to offer.We particularly love Scotland.We were in Dorset last week staying with Mo & Judy on their CL,lovely area.We are now at the Lincoln Show with MHF.We tend not to attend the entertainment or go to the marquee,but we do like to stroll around and have a chinwag with whoever is about(y).In the evenings because we have such a busy life with our work,we prefer our own company and just chill out either inside or outside of our Motorhome .But when we can and weather permits we do like to cook outdoors.Anyway as I said before the choice is totally yours.Enjoy your time with MHF it is a great bunch of people. Travel safely.
Brian & Jo

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
UK is great when its warm and and dry and your at your destination after the terrible traffic and bad driving. Go across the water the journey vastly improves it feels more of an adventure and you get to talk to locals loud and slow and point a lot.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I could have written that (y) We don't go abroad or like barbecues either :)

Yeh, but you're from Glossop.

I have it on good authority your good wife loves Brugges. The wonderful sights, the fine food, the fine beers, she is a woman of taste. They even built a lovely aire for us a short walk from the magnificent town with it's fine architecture and canals.

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
We have a gas fired weber with a lid and use it to cook outside - not BBQ'ing. Roast beef, chicken, fish etc... Saves the smells in the van.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
To all the mainland Europe doubters, read my sig, you will see Scotland there. But look at the rest and tell me where in the UK can you see such magnificent sights.

Here is the link repeated....

Link Removed

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
We live in Portugal, but we bought a RHD vehicle for the British roads, and for 6 months of the year, that is where we shall be using it. There is a heck of a lot we want to see in the UK, and we live in a wonderful island spoiled only for us by the claustrophobia and uniformity of many of the "official" camp sites and the inevitable meteorological uncertainty.

Travelling overseas gives us undeniable pleasure. The journey, the different cultures, the more welcoming attitude to motorhomers, the variety of scenery, food and drink and a less materialistic attitude all contribute to an enjoyable adventure.

Ultimately, as long as the M/H doesn't stay on the drive, however you decide to use it is your prerogative. But I wouldn't limit your horizons, there's a whole world for you out there to explore, That's why a M/H has both wheels and an engine

Quick ps; @hilldweller remarkable pictures of Scottish trip, thanks for posting

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Quick ps; @hilldweller remarkable pictures of Scottish trip, thanks for posting

Actually a bit more than a trip. Those cover years of visits to Scotland many on business. It certainly does have splender when the weather is being kind.

Andy H

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
IH Tio Savanah PVC
Exp
We don't go much on Barby's. But as far as UK v Continent goes, well we are defecting to Europe. After 40 years of mainly UK holidays, camping mainly, but then cottages and more recently caravanning, we have decided that its time to explore further afield, while we are still young enough and fit enough. To be honest, the weather has been a factor
So we have recently sold our devil pod and are looking for our first Moho.

Bearing in mind the weather has been an influence I seem strangely drawn to Scandinavia.. OH wants somewhere warm.

The bits of the UK we haven' t seen will still be there when we're older.

Andy

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
...or just unusual? As mentioned previously we are newbies, having just ordered a Pilote Pacific motorhome for collection in March. Everyone keeps saying to us "oh, you must go to France, it's really geared up to motorhoming". However, we have no interest whatsoever in going abroad anywhere (other than, maybe, Ireland), and never have. We love the UK, especially Cornwall and Scotland, and are looking forward to discovering many new areas.

The other thing that probably makes us "odd" is that we don't like barbecued food, but barbecues seem to be a prerequisite of any type of camping. Will we be "blackballed" for not joining in with the mania for outdoor cooking lol?

Is there anyone else out there like us? I hate to feel we are the only two people in the motorhoming fraternity thst feel as we do.

We're UK only folks & don't do BBQs either. It's not that we haven't been abroad, but now we're of the frame of mind whereby we don't go anywhere that we cant take our dogs & we simply wouldn't expose them to rabies etc.
So the short answer is that your not alone.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007

We have good friends who are on their second moho and have a static caravan. They certainly don't consider going abroad with the moho.
Personally, we love going abroad with our moho. However, we're with you 100% with bbq. We know people love them and rave about them but seriously, not our thing. We like to see and know what meat it is. I can only try and work out by the different textures. We have been to 1 really good one (countless bad and mediocre) strangely enough in France but certainly not on our list.
Yes of course you're unique as we all are.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
We're UK only folks & don't do BBQs either. It's not that we haven't been abroad, but now we're of the frame of mind whereby we don't go anywhere that we cant take our dogs & we simply wouldn't expose them to rabies etc.
So the short answer is that your not alone.
We have a puppy and we took her to France, Germany and Luxembourg in June. She was only 8 months old. We took the decision to only use the train so that she'd be with us and not left on another deck alone. We only use the short crossing as we like to travel through France even when we do Holland. She is injected, as required, for lots of things including rabies. That's the great advantage. Lots of UK dogs aren't and more and more are coming in without checks so it could get a foothold here. Thank goodness for border controls on animals.

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
Both our dogs were chipped and vaccinated against rabies and they had a booster every year , when Ive spoken to people abroad with dogs they all have had the vaccination card Im sure its compulsory. And they are very vigilant at customs when we have used the tunnel, you have to declare when booking and pay for your animals unless you go into the wilds and let your dogs run free you aren't likely to run the risk of rabies. To get a passport you must get your dogs done against rabies but not if you are staying in the U.K.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
@Diggerdi

Not unique just doing your own thing, choice is what it's all about.

We're exactly the opposite the further the better for us currently in Sicily but been all over the world.
As for touring the UK no thanks not for us too wet n cold, too expensive and definitely not motorhome friendly. Probably don't do a month a year in the UK nowadays if that was our only choice we'd probably sell the van.

Bbq can take it or leave it can't be bothered ourselves have a gas grill but will happily eat someone else's.:):)

Whatever you do wherever you go relax and enjoy your new van.(y)(y)(y)

roamingman

Banned
Mar 14, 2014
Angus
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
2012, tents, caravan. 1990
We have done Europe, we did a landy rally, with a Discovery 3 +tent 11 countries in 9 days, also camping on a trip down to Croatia, been to Morocco wild caming in the desert with a Defender camper, see websites below.

I have been to a lot of countries in Europe when driving HGV'S, seen lots of places, but never did much driving in the UK.
The motorhome in my avatar is gone now, so are looking for a new (second hand one) to mainly see the UK first is to travel around Scotland because it is nearer for us, been here for almost 30 years, 2 years ago we got to Lands end but not been to John-o Groats yet, nor Sky so definitely going to do the Scotland 500 trip.

ps do like a Bbq when we can

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Ok we're going to come clean - we don't like BBQs either :eek: the smoke and smell of cooking meat sends us running for cover inside our MH. And the wind always seems to blow it towards us.

But we do like exploring the continent as well as the UK.

Try bbq ing fresh fish,,,much better,,,BUSBY,,,:):):)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back