Are we unique ........

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Diggerdi, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Diggerdi

Diggerdi Funster

...or just unusual? As mentioned previously we are newbies, having just ordered a Pilote Pacific motorhome for collection in March. Everyone keeps saying to us "oh, you must go to France, it's really geared up to motorhoming". However, we have no interest whatsoever in going abroad anywhere (other than, maybe, Ireland), and never have. We love the UK, especially Cornwall and Scotland, and are looking forward to discovering many new areas.

The other thing that probably makes us "odd" is that we don't like barbecued food, but barbecues seem to be a prerequisite of any type of camping. Will we be "blackballed" for not joining in with the mania for outdoor cooking lol?

Is there anyone else out there like us? I hate to feel we are the only two people in the motorhoming fraternity thst feel as we do.

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. MH 55 FUN

MH 55 FUN Funster

You are not alone . . . .:)

We bought our M.H. exclusively for U.K. & possibly Eire travel & is but one of our broader travel options.

We do however, enjoy our BBQ's :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Everything is entirely your choice.

Foreign shores, BBQs, wild camping.....no rules and no expectations, do as you want you won't be thought of any different.

Same applies to any fun meets you may attend, you do what you want to do, no pressure to join in with anything.

• Like Like x 10
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Baycott

Baycott Funster

Well, we are not like you by any means. We love France (and beyond) and BBQs but that only makes us different (y)
    This would be a very sad world if we were all liked the same things. You only have to look at most threads on here to see how different folk are.
    However, we do have one thing in common, a Motorhome and because of that no blackballing will occur :LOL:

• Like Like x 5
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

One or two.

That is one or two too many underachievers. The enlightened ones, the ones who do not have a locker full of umbrellas and sou'westers keep trying to educate them before you die of boredom and web feet.

There's a wonderous world out there just 26 miles across the water.

France is OK but mainly it leads to better places.

• Like Like x 8
    • Funny Funny x 2
  6. Mickx

Mickx Funster

No, we've never made it across the water yet....

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. big bertha

big bertha Funster

You sound a bit like us, we have no burning desire to see France but may try it once and drive to Spain to visit relatives but if it doesn't happen we won't be upset. We still have a lot of places to visit in UK. We don't mind eating barbecued food but can't be bothered with procedure the Cadac is as close as it gets now.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. hilldweller

Yet. YET !

Like your style.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. hilldweller

Or do it the easy way, boat direct to Spain.

• Like Like x 1
  10. reckless

reckless Funster

Ok we're going to come clean - we don't like BBQs either :eek: the smoke and smell of cooking meat sends us running for cover inside our MH. And the wind always seems to blow it towards us.

But we do like exploring the continent as well as the UK.

• Like Like x 2
  11. big bertha

big bertha Funster

To long a boat journey for my dogs or would probably miss out France.(y)

12. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

But you will discover the beauty of a Motorhome in so much as it's your choice where you go how long you stay, and you tailor your motorhoming to what suits you, if it's the UK we have been touring for 30 years and still have a lot undiscovered, do what suits you
    Happy Travels.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Diggerdi

Diggerdi Funster

@reckless, I don't like the smoke or the smell either. Unfortunately, we have new neighbours next door to us, a couple of young lads, and I'm sure they would bbq every day if they could (they have done so in the rain ). It has stopped me enjoying my garden as I can't sit out there with the smoke and smell - and what really annoys me is when I have washing out, grrrr. Oops, sorry, gone a bit off thread.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

You should try it Mick .Britain is Great but Europe is interesting..Roy

• Like Like x 1
  15. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

For 9 years I have toured the UK for at least three months every year and still love it to bits .loads of great places to go to and enjoy .but this year after my tour which ended in August I braved the channel and had three glorious weeks exploring the French coast around the Brest peninsula.and loved it. Just give it a whirl one year and see what a lot of people are saying . Oh .congratulations on your new motorhome have loads of pleasure .Roy

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. reckless

reckless Funster

@Diggerdi it's not a proper thread until it goes off-topic :D

But you're right to say that BBQs are very popular on MH/camping holidays and I understand why people want to get the cooking process out of the MH. BBQs just not our thing and don't really want to share the neighbours'!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

the smell of cheap burgers over an open flame makes me feel sick

• Like Like x 5
  18. Spidey

Spidey Funster

We were surprised how much we enjoyed touring Europe, but also love holidaying in the UK. It wouldn't bother us we could never fly long haul again though :).

Not bothered about BBQs though a load of fuss for a few bits of food usually burnt :)

• Like Like x 2
  19. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

We go abroad in our MH twice a year for 6 weeks, and do only very short trips in the UK, usually to shows or odd weekends away. We really love France and as we speak the lingo a bit (2 years at night class), we find that it makes it more enjoyable as we can understand some of the blurb about the areas we visit on information panels etc that are just in French, and it's nice to be able to have some basic conversation with the natives, or if an emergency arises (which has happened!).

I love the UK too but the way we use our MH such as wild camping and not really liking sites, France etc is much more suitable than home and of course there's the weather and the fact that villages and towns are more 'accepting' of having MHs around!

If you don't want to do it though, there's no reason you have to, but IMV you are missing out by not giving at least one try to see if you like it or not.

As for BBQing ... we used to do it all the time at one point (proper ones, not Cadac 'griddles') but now rarely do so as it's too much hassle and often we're not in a place where we could do it anyway (ie not allowed).

• Like Like x 5
  20. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

Of course you're unique! Just like the rest of us!

D.

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1