Are we too big for passion! (1 Viewer)

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now šŸ˜¢
Exp
We met some fifth wheelers this morning in shrewsbury and had a chat and as newbies tried to get a bit more advice about continental touring. The lovely couple that we met had bought all the books re aires, french passion etc etc and joined everything....but said they shouldn't have bothered because their unit was too big. They always booked proper sites that RV's can fit on because the aires etc weren't big enough for their outfit.

What do you all think, is our outfit too large at just over 30ft for french village aires and french passion sites.

I don't suppose it would be easy for them to pull out their extended side on a car park and we don't have that!

Could you please tell us what you think? :Smile:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
aires are for camping cars (motorhomes), not caravans, which is what a 5th wheel unit is. plenty of RVs use aires, but some are just not designed to accommodate that size of vehicle

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
depends how busy the aire is........some are a bit regimented as for space, some are more open plan and plenty of room.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We met some fifth wheelers this morning in shrewsbury and had a chat and as newbies tried to get a bit more advice about continental touring. The lovely couple that we met had bought all the books re aires, french passion etc etc and joined everything....but said they shouldn't have bothered because their unit was too big. They always booked proper sites that RV's can fit on because the aires etc weren't big enough for their outfit.

What do you all think, is our outfit too large at just over 30ft for french village aires and french passion sites.

I don't suppose it would be easy for them to pull out their extended side on a car park and we don't have that!

Could you please tell us what you think? :Smile:

Should think you'll fit in most of the aires, even the smallest vans are still getting on for 20 foot but if there is problems you could always ring France passion places first.::bigsmile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Many of the France Passion sites are in vineyards and small farm producers. By there very nature they are not designed for large outfits as they do not have the room or good excess. Your friends have a fifth wheel outfit that is classed as a caravan and tow vehicle so therefore if an Aire is busy they could quite rightly be asked to move on. I have used many France Passion sites with both an RV and European van, but the ones I use I know before hand that I can get on as I always ring first. The FP system is very good, but they were never designed as campsites and generally only have room for 3 or 4 vans at most, so its always courteous to phone ahead anyway.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Come on admit it I was not the only one who thought it was about fat people having sex:ROFLMAO:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Come on admit it I was not the only one who thought it was about fat people having sex:ROFLMAO:

Yes, and I was getting ready to offer first hand advice::bigsmile:

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
We took our 34' RV to France last year and with two bikes on the back, not a problem. Obviously you have to forward think a bit and check All the Aires to make sure the places you intend on going will take larger vehicles, but as I say, didn't stop us. :thumb:

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
When we were touring in our RV (32ft) we always checked that our intended stopover could accept us, but were advised not to bother with French Passions sites as most were not suited to big heavy vehicles. This helped us when we designed Parc Verger as we made sure that all of the pitches were hard enough to take our RV, with plenty of room for access, and we built in two drive-through pitches so that overnighting visitors who were towing did not have to uncouple.

We did use aires, of course, but space on some of these was so tight that we drove straight out again! As said in a previous post, aires are for motorhomes, and are of limites use to those with caravans or 5th wheels.:cry:

Bob
www.parcverger.com

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Agree with previous posts about FP .. we tried a few but gave up as most we not suitable for large rigs.

'Size' .. it really does matter.
we toured for Europe for 3 years with a 36ft RV + trailer. We also toured Morocco.. seldom used anything but Aires or Stellplatz as sites were generally too expensive in Summer or closed in winter .. or pitches were too small and or access was too tight..

Some aires are as big as an Ikea car park.. for example Mimizan Plage.. others are tiny with room for only a few vans... akin to pub car parks..

I made a map of the ones we and others with large rigs have recommended as being suitable..

link in signature

OP
OP
Granjan
Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now šŸ˜¢
Exp
Thank you for all the responses ......seems size does matter but we can get round it!

I did hope a cheeky post would get the replies and it did.

:thumb:

I will order the books and try to plan ahead.::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back