Are we being too fussy?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by DP_JAY, Feb 19, 2014.

1. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

What do you think? What would you want to happen now?

We "upgraded" at Lincoln last year but couldn't collect the new to us van until October because they needed to do the services etc.

On the first trip away it became evident that there was water leaking out of the system & I traced this to a leaking boiler & a cracked Y connector. We contacted the dealer ( giving them exact details of what parts were needed including part numbers)& they agreed to do these & a couple of other minor niggles as soon as they could get the parts.

After what seamed like months they said they had the parts & booked it in for me to drive up there & stay overnight so they would have plenty of time to fit the parts. When I went to have it done they took it to the workshop & after a couple of hours they announced that they did not have the parts, ( company policy not to order parts until they see the vehicle) and that they would need it for longer(when they got the parts) as they wanted to do extra work as the water had damaged a section of wallboard & they would replace it.
    Well, we thought , thats jolly decent & honest of them.

To cut a long story short they finally brought it back yesterday & we are devastated to find,
    The water pump had been running (system drained) for at least 3hours, maybe days.
    Inside one of the washroom cupboards were several screws & about 10 cover trims off connector blocks.
    A screw which was either too long or screwed in to hard from the garage area has penetrated the washroom wall by about 4mm in a very obvious place.
    The van is dirty inside & out with bits of sawdust everywhere.
    The keys for the water filler are lost.
    Despite being nearly full when they collected it , it iwas returned completly empty of fuel.

So, honestly, what do you think?

2. Larby

Larby Funster

Are you being too fussy ??:Eeek:
    Too tolerant I would say, by a long way

• Like Like x 1
  3. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

First of all a letter to the Managing Director / Owner with photographs and a clear statement of what YOU want to happen next. Perhaps the cost of having the damage put right by a reputable company? Also some sort of compensation for the stress, worry and inconvenience. Give them a time limit for reply.

Send the letter "signed for" and follow up with a telephone call to ensure the letter has been received by the MD.

After the time limit send another letter (also signed for) stating you are now taking legal proceedings in the County Court. Fill in the forms for the small claims court and wipe the floor with them.

I did this with some furniture I sent to be reupholstered by a well known company. The work wasn't done to any sort of reasonable standard and one of the footstools was lost. The company didn't even contest the case and paid up including court costs.

GOOD LUCK

• Like Like x 5
  4. Phill D

Phill D

Nope; a nicely controlled phone call to the workshop manager, followed by written confirmation of your call and problems including photos of all you have identified.

agree in writing a course of action to resolve. even if they wont write to you what they will do when the agree what to do and when confirm it to them in writing.

keeping all copies so if you need to go to small claims court you have hard evidence.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Phill D

Phill D

was typing while you posted ... i agree:thumb:

• Like Like x 4
  6. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

I have a small "kitchen table" business and if I treated my customers like that I'd soon not have a business. Customer service, satisfaction and recommendation is all.

• Like Like x 4
  7. maison

maison Funster

Terrible service!

Did you record the mileage on delivery to them and on return? To empty my tank from full takes several hundred miles depending on speed. They have either been using it or have syphoned off (ie stolen) fuel by the look of it.

On top of evrything else you must persue them as recommended by previous posts.

Good Luck. :Angry:

• Like Like x 4
  8. DP_JAY

The workshop manager has emailed me today asking for us to check the van properly over the next few days & contact him on monday to discuss "a way forward".
    How do you hide a screw hole on a curved preformed section which will be difficult if not impossible to replace without causing more probloms.
    There are no visible fixings & I can only think it was put in as the roof was put on.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  9. DP_JAY

Yes,I did, but They are a long way off.

10. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Too late for you now but it's probably a good idea for all owners to photo the dashboard (fuel gauge and odometer) when leaving a vehicle at the dealer / workshop and compare that to the readings when the vehicle is collected.

Just a thought.

• Like Like x 2
  11. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

You asked a question you already knew the answer to, it is not unreasonable to expect prompt professional work, when they say the parts are here they have already proven to you they are liars

• Like Like x 2
  12. DP_JAY

Yes,I agree:thumb:& I did:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 3
  13. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

So how many additional miles on the clock and how much fuel used? You can ask them for an explanation.

• Like Like x 2
  14. DP_JAY

Havn't worked it out yet but I think it@s about right. I just thought they would have lft me enough to get to a petrol station.

15. francour

francour Read Only Funster

Being fussy

Hi
    if you had bought a BMW for 30.000 grand and after a service it was returned with grease all over it what would you say you would be very angry so why should a motor home be any different these dealers need a kick up the jacksy don't let it go have a go if you take it back don't leave it wait for it to be repaired samday or else Thanks Bernie:thumb:

• Like Like x 3
  16. DP_JAY

Not going to be that quick to fix.

17. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Make sure you make a comprehensive individually numbered list of everything that is wrong, with photographs to show the damage etc.

Ring the chap and tell him that you're going to email a copy of the list and photos to him, then once you've done that ring him and go through it in detail.

One thing to add to the list is that you insist on the vehicle being inspected by an independent expert to ascertain the quality of the repairs carried out to ensure they have all been done correctly - if they've only replaced the wallboard for example and not cut out any wet/rotten timber as well, this could spell trouble for you in the future.

Also, ensure that you are recompensed for the hassle, fuel etc in having to do this!

As for how to repair the ceiling 'hole', it is difficult to advise without more photos showing what the washroom is like ... but could an extra light fitting be installed at that point to disguise the fact that a hole was put there and also give you more light? Alternatively, it will be a case of covering it in some way.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Gizmouk

Gizmouk Funster

Who carried out the work ?

19. DP_JAY

No the hole is in the washroom wall, about a foot from the floor.

20. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

A good idea is to record the phone calls. There are free apps on Android that allow you to do this..

I would say that you have been very patient...

• Like Like x 1