are we being ripped off or what/

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by geoff1947, Mar 31, 2010.

1. geoff1947

geoff1947 Read Only Funster

All Oil comes out off a hole in the ground (Basically) and from that they make our diesel etc
    So why is fuel so expensive in the UK --We know that answer to that, don't we>!!!

Filled up yesterday at Roscoff for Euro 1.07 per litre.
    Haven't seen the prices here yet but it's April Fool's day tomorrow and it goes up by 1 p tomorrow Some joke eh.:Rofl1:

2. American Dream

American Dream Read Only Funster

Hi Geoff....

It's the British Mentality to moan and do nothing about it....

Something others milk to the Max.

And definately NO joke...:Angry:

3. geoff1947

geoff1947 Read Only Funster

any suggestions?? lets all go abroad en masse and see the drop in revenue!:Eeek:

4. American Dream

Thought about it many a time.....

What with the incessant taxation by the chancellor on fuel...

Even the road blocks and protests on fuel prices/duty have (unexplainedly) stopped....

Any Ideas Why?

I've heard one or two rumours...

5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Here's a suggestion for anyone who is really interested.

Come up with a practical alternative taxation system which will suit the differences between the UK and continental Europe or an argument why the UK system should be totally harmonised with what the continental European countries want.

Graham

6. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

i can think of one very good reason......'cos they don't work.

have any protests ever resulted in a major decrease in the price of fuel.

and if they did, it wouldn't be for long before the price increased again.

the chancellors lost billions in tobacco revenue and it has to come from somewhere else, and where better than stuff people rely on every day.

he doesn't put regular increases on the price of dog leads or pool balls cos they are minority items.

petrol isnt a minority item.

7. American Dream

Hi John,

Unfortunately fuel is a necessity and raising duty on it affects EVERYTHING we buy .

I feel sorry for the hauliers trying to compete with trucks which fill up the other side of the channel with "cheaper" fuel....How many haulage businesses are going under because they are no longer able to compete?:Sad:

This tax affects each and every one of us...Drivers and Non-drivers.....:Angry:

And what about Cider.....Don't get me going there.....I don't drink it but....Another cheaper drink being brought into line...Another "local" industry penalised.....

He borrowed all this money to "buy" us out of the recession and now WE have to pay for it....

Was it really Money well Spent and did it work?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  8. Bulletguy

Bulletguy Read Only Funster

In a nutshell........complacency and resignation.

Been suggestions about boycotting particular brands of fuel. Waste of time and totally ineffective. It wouldn't even be noticed.

Blockading all refineries and bringing the country to it's knees is the only way......and in blighty there is more chance of hell freezing over before that happens.

9. Pampasgrass

Pampasgrass Read Only Funster

Petrol -v- Beer

Amazing isn't it that we all moan about the price of a gallon of petrol yet no one seems to bother that a pint of beer costs about
    £2.50 which amounts to ​

£20.00

a gallon

Cannot understand why there should be such a difference because beer is only water and hops

:RollEyes:

10. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Quite simple realy....30 years ago the chanceler would put a halfpenny on a pint of beer, every man and some of his dogs took a regular pint so good income.
    Also he put a penny on a packet of ciggs, every man and most of there wives smoked so good income.
    30 years later...pubs are all eating houses or closed, and smokers are treated like leppers.
    He has to get the revenue from somwhere,and every houshold has at least one car.

11. American Dream

A drink in the Pub is now a luxury item for us...

So I wouldn't know the price of beer...:RollEyes:

The amount of pubs that have been hit by the smoking ban and Price of Beer...It's no longer staggering distance to out local..:Doh:

Has anyone else noticed that gradually everything we enjoy is being made "Socially Unacceptable" or am I being Paranoid...:Eeek::RollEyes:

12. Peter James

Peter James Read Only Funster

That sounds like the price in a pub where you are paying for the surroundings. You wouldn't expect a cup of tea in a cafe to cost the same as a tea bag in a supermarket. A leaflet has come through my door from Netto with popular branded beers at a price of about £8 a gallon - packaged in 440ml cans - presumably the price would come down further if it could be sold loose from a pump like petrol.
    On top of that fuel is an essential as transport costs are added to the cost of everything we buy. Alcohol is not an essential. We would probably be better off without it.

13. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Leaving aside the c*ck-up of the borrowing as a result of the recession, the fact is that - whatever the circumstances - tax revenues have to be raised from somewhere.

Fuel duty might not be the right way but what is? No scheme is going to suit everyone and complaining will solve nothing. The only way that fuel duty can be shown to be wrong is by solid evidence that another way is better.

Graham

14. Peter James

Thatcher cut taxes for the very wealthy in 1979, and successive governments have continued on that path, making up for the loss in revenue with stealth taxes that hit everyone. The argument is that if you tax the very wealthy they can hide their assets abroad to avoid the tax, and that is probably correct. The solution is to introduce a land tax because you can't hide land. But neither of the 2 main parties have that on their agenda because they have too much to lose personally. CameraOn even wants to abolish inheritance tax before he inherits his millions. So it looks llike more stealth taxes for the poor whichever of the 2 main parties get in.

15. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

OK then Peter. Presumably your land tax will be a national tax on top of the existing Council Tax based on land values.
    How much would your land tax bring in?
    How much would that allow you to reduce other taxes?
    How would you ensure that the tax was borne only by the "very wealthy" and not passed on in (stealthy) rent rises to tenants?

Graham

16. Peter James

A land tax would bring in whatever is necessary depending on the rate charged. Less than 10% of our land area is built on so bringing more land into productive use would increase the supply of housing, reducing homelessness and reducing prices for tenants. The poor would be better off. The big landlords like the Queen and the Church would be worse off.

PS: But I don't want to take up your time with a discussion over land tax Graham because I am sure the excellent work you do concerning motorhome parking is far more productive. You seem to be doing some good there :thumb:

17. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Before that could be implemented we would need to know who owns all the land, HM Land Registry states that around 35% of all land in England and Wales is unregistered land.

18. lebesset

lebesset Read Only Funster

€1.07 /litre , that would be nice ; must be a refinery in the area , cheapest my way is €1.15 at the supermarket

so lets adopt the french system to raise the tax ...pay on the motorways ; a fellow motorhomer here in france tells me that the average cost per Km here in france for a group2 motorhome [ under 3.5 tonnes and under 3metres high ] is now 12p/Km [ bear in mind there are huge variations in the price /Km ]
    now in the UK you can't go any distance except on motorways , so lets say you did 3,000 miles [ 5,000Km ] of motorway a year , that's not much , sounds like £600 to me
    so if I am typical at 10,000 Km overall and take the current average price of diesel at 10p/litre less [ I have a dual resident family and watch it all the time ] , that would save £100 on the 1,000 litres I buy each year
    please don't suggest to mr brown that he changes to the french system ...I can't afford it

addendum ; my neighbour just popped in for coffee , and I told him what I was writing about ...the price at the supermarket was up to €1.20 yesterday when he took his wife shopping , and the garage nearby was €1.28

19. Peter James

Oh thats an easy one. If the tax is not paid the assets (in this case land) is seized in the same way they collect other taxes. The owners would soon appear.

20. Peter James

That works for France because it is a transit country having land borders with surrounding countries, having about 5 times as many foreign vehicles on its roads as Britain does, most of them just passing through en route to other countries. So it is collecting the tolls from foreign vehicles which are just passing through. Britain has virtually no foreign vehicles just passing through (only a few to Southern Ireland) So, unlike France, we would just be collecting tolls from our own vehicles. It would be just another stealth tax on our own economy, and a very expensive tax to collect.