LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
There is a thread running about when is a motorhome, not a motorhome and some of the posts made me smile and got me thinking

It is within our fraternity that there is Machiavellian arguements and disputes which normally remain funny but can boil over from time too time when things get polarised.

The name for example has been discussed for years. How do we portray what we do to the "General Public?

Personally! we have always refer to ours as "the camper"

This covers a multitude of people's expectations eliminating many explanations to "Non motorhomers" I'll explain:-

"Are you home for Christmas?

"No, we are going camping"

"Camping? At Christmas, rather you than me, I hate tents"

"LOL, No not a tent we have a motorcaravan"

"My Mum & Dad had a caravan, it seemed a lot of hassle"

"No, you've still got the wrong end of the stick, it's a Motorhome"

"Oh a motorhome! I've always fancied one of those great big American things, Winniebagos I think they are called! Now I'd go away in one of those, you could live in one of those"

"That's what we're going to Ireland for Christamas, We have a Winnebago (Even though it's a Gulf Stream LOL"

"Don't like camping:doh:

But the conversation you have with a fellow "Motorhomer" is different, the non Motorhomer you can forgive as they simply don't know the differences, but to a fellow enthusiast?

"Hi, my name is Eddie, nice to meet you, would you like a cup of tea while you get set up" (offering a big welcome smile, and an open hand)"

"Is that your Yank? They are shit those RV's and you can't go anywhere in the U.K."

To me it seems what we call ourselves only matters to ourselves

Some with German vans think they are the Bee's knees and try to belittle English vans. Some look down their noses at home conversions, some that covert (when done well) snigger behind their hands at the money, some pay for a "Professional" van conversion which is aesthetically great but shoddily built.

Some People with little vans think that people with big vans are mad. Some people with big vans think that people who buy small vans "do it because they can't drive"

People with dogs are mad taking them in vans, according to some. Equally according to some, people who don't have dogs in their lives, have empty lives.

Some buy vans to get away from Grandchildren some buy them to take their Grandchildren

Some buy vans for luxury, and some proudly tell the world they "Poo" in a little dug hole and "Pee" in an empty bottle

Some want to buy and use generators, others go red faced and look like they will have a cardiac arrest at the slightest mention of a generator

So given all of this, why should anyone be surprised that we cannot agree a generic name between ourselves, but perhaps we should all be a little more tolerant of other people's choices, based on factors we may not be aware of.

I go away in a camper! And always say to anyone that asks "They all do the same job"

Last edited:

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
The above is so true made me laugh because Ive had the same conversations with people ie all american motorhomes are a Winnebago :xgrin:

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Reads like a collection of ancient Cornish proverbs - but every word so true.
I have to laugh sometimes when I look back at some of the pics I've taken while travelling, especially on some Aires - a long line of white super-coachbuilts with the occasional US RV making the others looks so small........... and then there 's me, a small, dark blue blob hardly visible, tucked quietly away like a antelope amongst a herd of elephants.
The big guys wouldn't have it any other way....... and neither would I.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
The above is so true made me laugh because Ive had the same conversations with people ie all american motorhomes are a Winnebago :xgrin:
That's true of quite a few things though;
Hoover instead of vacuum,
Ipad instead of tablet...
Sellotape, Thermos, Biro etc

I can't imagine how it is for others when I can't even settle on a name for mine - camper, van, moho etc
Perhaps it's not such a daft idea to give it an actual name!
"Have you been away - no, just took 'Fred' out to get some diesel"

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
eddie

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I try never to get into discussions about whats best. Its all about what "suits you sir".
With that in mind the French choose "camping car" as a generic title and it probably sums it up best.
Phil
I love being in France and just calling it a camping car! It makes so much sense.

Perhaps we should start the "Camping Car" revolution lol

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Nice one Eddie, I hadn't noticed it so much until I bought my current Motor-Home which I refer to as the 'Van' or the 'Camper' to my kids or the postman.

I've had people on this forum saying 'I'm not parking next to you, you'll show my old van up'.

Surely with snobbery and inverted snobbery it's all about how much enjoyment this vehicle gives you. I still haven't had as much fun in this
2015-09-26 12.33.32_640x480.jpg--------------- 2007_1026Nostalgia0124_800x600.JPG

.......as I did in this. Just because they've grown up and got Campers of their own.

I am doing my best though.

P1010126 (1)_800x600.JPG

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Took us about two years before we hit upon a pair of Hooray Henry's, (sorry to any Hank on this forum.)

Here's the backward compliment I received, "Your 'van is looking good for it's age." And it wasn't said as a compliment.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Nice one Eddie, I hadn't noticed it so much until I bought my current Motor-Home which I refer to as the 'Van' or the 'Camper' to my kids or the postman.

I've had people on this forum saying 'I'm not parking next to you, you'll show my old van up'.

Surely with snobbery and inverted snobbery it's all about how much enjoyment this vehicle gives you. I still haven't had as much fun in this
View attachment 136236--------------- View attachment 136237

.......as I did in this. Just because they've grown up and got Campers of their own.

View attachment 136238
What a great improvement Paul .!! Love the new you , so much more sophisticated.lol.@Popeye.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
There is a thread running about when is a motorhome, not a motorhome and some of the posts made me smile and got me thinking

It is within our fraternity that there is Machiavellian arguements and disputes which normally remain funny but can boil over from time too time when things get polarised.

The name for example has been discussed for years. How do we portray what we do to the "General Public?

This covers a multitude of people's expectations eliminating many explanations to "Non motorhomers" I'll explain:-

"Oh a motorhome! I've always fancied one of those great big American things, Winniebagos I think they are called! Now I'd go away in one of those, you could live in one of those"

"That's what we're going to Ireland for Christamas, We have a Winnebago (Even though it's a Gulf Stream LOL"

But the conversation you have with a fellow "Motorhomer" is different, the non Motorhomer you can forgive as they simply don't know the differences, but to a fellow enthusiast?

"Hi, my name is Eddie, nice to meet you, would you like a cup of tea while you get set up" (offering a big welcome smile, and an open hand)"

"Is that your Yank? They are shit those RV's and you can't go anywhere in the U.K."

Some with German vans think they are the Bee's knees and try to belittle English vans. Some look down their noses at home conversions, some that covert (when done well) snigger behind their hands at the money, some pay for a "Professional" van conversion which is aesthetically great but shoddily built.

Some People with little vans think that people with big vans are mad. Some people with big vans think that people who buy small vans "do it because they can't drive"

People with dogs are mad taking them in vans, according to some. Equally according to some, people who don't have dogs in their lives, have empty lives.

Some buy vans to get away from Grandchildren some buy them to take their Grandchildren

Some buy vans for luxury, and some proudly tell the world they "Poo" in a little dug hole and "Pee" in an empty bottle

Some want to buy and use generators, others go red faced and look like they will have a cardiac arrest at the slightest mention of a generator

So given all of this, why should anyone be surprised that we cannot agree a generic name between ourselves, but perhaps we should all be a little more tolerant of other people's choices, based on factors we may not be aware of.

I go away in a camper! And always say to anyone that asks "They all do the same job"

I think you covered them all with that.:xlaugh::xlaugh:
All true though.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I absolutely love the variety. Everything from @JJ old banger which was full of character (that floor was brilliant) to the massive RV's. I love all the quirky self builds and the immaculate tag axles. The variety of equipment attached to them and even more so the variety of people just makes sure this hobby is never boring.

I would never criticise anyones choice of vehicle and don't suffer from envy. Although I have to admit liking the Romahome that one of our members has, and @Jim 's RV is just about perfect for me. If we all trundle around in the same size/shape colour boxes rallies and campsite would end up looking like prefabricated council estates.

Viva la Difference. :D :xThumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
why should anyone be surprised that we cannot agree a generic name between ourselves
We got close a few years ago with Nutters (for some of us at least) :xgrin:

View attachment 136236--------------- View attachment 136237

View attachment 136238
That make-over wasn't worth the money you know :xgrin:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Exactly the same with the silly old scroat that we drove down to Twin-Lakes with, he parked miles away from us just so he could party on with the old dears......... here he is.

2016-08-31 20.29.21_800x600.jpg

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Everything from @JJ old banger which was full of character (that floor was brilliant)

Excuse me Young Gromett.

Don't bother checking your post for a Christmas Card from me...

"Old Banger" indeed.

Absolutely wrong... a superb, well maintained, low mileage, intercooled, Iveco Turbo Daily cunningly disguised for trouble free, offsite, fulltiming.

(No trouble starting mine in the cold... first turn everytime.)

Still in use today... (as a luxury shed)

I expect better from someone like you, who knows a very great deal about "old bangers" given your close association with one.

JJ :cool:

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2013
worcester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
Nice one Eddie
Camper it is from now on. No strikeback envy here, Growler up and running.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Mines still "The Van" although Jan occasionally calls it "The Camper" we'll never be posh enough to be Motorhomers.

The Clampetts :xThumb:

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
We used to refer to the Folding Camper as "the Van".xroll: Now, our Motorhome is "the Van". I always say, we are off in the Van this weekend. Then explain any further if required.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015

Quiet day was it Eddie :xwink: We go away in the Moho or the Van :xsmile:

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Exactly the same with the silly old scroat that we drove down to Twin-Lakes with, he parked miles away from us just so he could party on with the old dears......... here he is.

View attachment 136241
Now that's quality company you have with you , got to admire your taste in travelling companions @Popeye .lol

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
i'm just grateful that i can still go 'camping' in my little red hippy van on four wheels, beats sleeping on hard ground in a flappy wet tent any day..:xThumb:

mind you, those old tenting days were fun too, still have bucket (as in hyacinth) manor, as my daughter used to call the old tent..:xlaugh:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
From my very first ridge tent all the way through to our forthcoming new coachbuilt I've had a very simple system of classification.

Anybody with more expensive kit than me is posh b*****d. :)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Great OP, Mr Eddie.

I am perfectly willing to accept that if you drive from campsite to campsite and, on arrival, you plug into the EHU, get out your wash bag and head for the shower block and then spend time behind your windbreak talking to the neighbours (a few feet away) about the route you used and how many mpg you get, then you are camping.

However...

When you are pootling along a road you have never been on before, heading nowhere in particular and you spot a super, scenic space with an excellent view, in the middle of nowhere (with a decent wifi signal strength) and you pull up, put the kettle and water heater on, have a piping hot shower followed by a coffee, watching the sun go down behind the hills in the distance, and then go to bed, and in the morning decide whether to stay longer or just reposition the driver's seat and move on...

When your electricity comes from the sun via the solar panels on the roof and the cooker, hot water, central heating and fridge work using the onboard refillable gas bottles...

then you are...

MOTORHOMING not camping.

JJ :cool:

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
I love being in France and just calling it a camping car! It makes so much sense.

Perhaps we should start the "Camping Car" revolution lol
Im up for it if you are.
France is so good for "camping cars" in every way.
From free aires, France passion,to luxury style camping, we use them all.
Shame about the "tuggers" though. I actually saw one asked to move off an aire/stellplatz by a wardenish person in Rothenburg on the "romantic road last year, quite surprised me.
Phil

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Its "Granddad's house on wheels" and first registered in France ,so got to be a camping car, :xsmile: I just call it the shed .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back