Are Water Filters Neccessary (1 Viewer)

Sep 21, 2013
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since Apr 2013
I have had problems with my Motorhomes water smelling.
I have sterilized the whole water system with Puriclean and refilled the system. I find that there is a whale water filter fitted under a hatch in the floor. I have no idea how long its been since it was changed, at least 4 years.
Are they really needed, is it ok to just remove it from the system until I can get a new one.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If you're only ever going to fill up with tap water in the UK or EU then a filter is not needed. You could get rid of it completely rather than replace it.

If on the other hand you go further afield or fill up from sources other than mains water then you should replace it.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Your water will most likely be cleaner without a 4 year old filter in the system, no you dont need one for normal use (whatever that is). I dont know why your water would smell though!

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
vectian
Sep 21, 2013
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since Apr 2013
Thanks Nick Nic. It'll be removed as its been suggested that this could be causing problems

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Our old 2004 MoHo water tank used to smell and taste of plastic. The newer 2012 nylon tank in no problem.
We have never had a filter but still refill 3 x 5 litre of drinking water plastic bottles from Tesco.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I use a Floe drain down device to purge the water from the system when I drain it down. I was surprised how much more water I can get out of the pipes than by a traditional drain down. I have no problems with water quality, even after periods of non-use. I do not use a filter in current mh but when I did have one I had to make a special effort to drain and clean it. The filter just seemed to concentrate the gunk but not get rid of it.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you've got a filter fitted then I suggest just replacing it, which shouldn't cost much. As mentioned you don't really need one but if it's fitted then use it.
A quick Google for "whale water filter" will turn up suppliers. Whale recommend they are changed annually.
They don't filter out bugs, you have to spend a lot more for that, but it should reduce any smells from the water.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Water filters are not necessary but they do remove that nasty taint that can ruin your tea caused by minerals in the water that react with plastic tanks & pipes. We used a Whale one on the last van and replaced it once a year never had a bad cupper fitted a Filtapac one to the current van.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I make a point of flushing the freshwater tank then refilling it with fresh every time we go away, even (especially) if it's been drained down. Never had a problem, even in faraway places, but in fairness we don't drink directly from the tank (boil for tea etc.), always keep a couple of 5 litre bottled for drinking.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
No need for a filter IMV, we've had many MHs, new and used, and never needed one, we don't usually drink the water direct (ie as in cold from the tap), but boil it to make tea/coffee etc and not had any problems with bad tastes/smell. We do, however, use the 'raw' water for brushing teeth, rinsing veg/salad stuff etc with no ill effects!

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We have recently fitted a 0.2 micron biological filter and use it for all cooking and drinking water. I have seen how other happy campers abuse the taps in campsites and Aires in the UK and the rest or Europe.

I also never trust an Aire or campsite's hose. Always unscrew it spray the tap with disinfectant and wipe it with a disinfectant wipe before screwing my own adapter on and using my own hosepipe. I know where those have been.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back