Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Regarding illegal/unlawful.

Refilling Calor bottles is a breach of contract (civil not criminal).

Advice from the HSE (via The Petroleum Enforcement Liaison Group) is given Here. If anything were to go wrong when somebody ignored that advice and/or any notices which the supplier has posted banning filling of portable LPG cylinders then the person doing so would certainly be liable for any civil damages. Whether any criminal prosecution might be brought would be a matter for the police & CPS.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
4.5kg Calor refill - price £16.75 - on Calor's website

Traveled 5 miles to 'Calor stockist' listed on the Calor website - £19.99 !

So annoyed I rang Calor - they said no control over price charged by others - they could nothing wrong in advertising the price at £16.75 with no warning that you could be charged more

Rip off !
£5-85 if you fill your own.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
If you follow the wording then you should not be refilling your refillable bottles IE gas low ,gas it alugas or whatever -the bit posted by Dave and Graham states filling cars and not bottles -no where does it say about exceptions for refillable ones unless I have read that bit wrong (which I may have because I am trying to do several things at once so not giving undivided attention ):D will look more close later

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
You must have missed it Terry :) There is a section on (not) refilling portable LPG cylinders from the autogas dispenser which differentiates them from "LPG containers that are securely attached to a vehicle".

The other thing that struck me since I last posted is that the bottles, adapters &c sold by Gaslow, Alugas &c are designed for end user use and are built for that purpose. Apart from the fact that Calor bottles (and those of other manufacturers) are not made for that purpose I wonder what standards (if any) govern the manufacture of the adapters in the OP - are professional standards applied or are they just knocked up in some back street workshop in "Anytown"?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Yeah Graham I missed it but now remember ;)and yes i would think that calor etc buy them from a nice China man same as everybody else --not noticed any difference between the ones I have both used and seen for yrs --my understanding is if the bottles strapped in it's good to fill -loose is a no :DOnly ever had a problem at one garage in the last 12 yrs and that was on my mates refillable system that would not open up and take gas :D
Faulty filler pipe thing ;)
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
most gas bottles are made in portugal ,or were, they made bottles for all over europe . little fact i was told while driving for calor .

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Flippant and irrelevant.

If you acquire the cylinder from the tip, you still have the same terms on conditions as were 'printed' on the side of the cylinder. Even it was not and you went and bought the above item, you must know its not the 'normal' thing to do and doing so is unlawful, not illegal. You are possibly breaking the terms and conditions and the rules of the garage or supplier of LPG.

Therefore they have stated that the terms are as what Jim stated, "Only to be filled by Calor".

The issue here is not the legality or not, as they stand they are certainly not lawful and their use regardless of what people have posted is against the terms of the garage and of Calor, of that there is no doubt. Using them knowing the above and putting people at risk. To quote from Calor.
"
Calor Gas Limited has issued a safety warning following reports of unlawful and dangerous filling of its portable LPG cylinders at self-service Autogas refuelling sites.
Highly dangerous

Calor has become aware of increasing numbers of people using adaptors to fill LPG cylinders from Autogas dispensers. This practice is not only unlawful but also highly dangerous as there is a strong probability of leaks occurring and cylinders being overfilled.

The filling of LPG cylinders is potentially an extremely hazardous activity, and safe filling requires appropriate expertise and training of operators, use of certified equipment, safe working procedures and a safe environment. Automotive LPG filling stations incorporate safety measures to ensure the safe refuelling of vehicles but they do not include all of the necessary safety elements required for filling LPG cylinders. Furthermore, commercial LPG is supplied in two forms – propane and butane – and filling a cylinder with the wrong type of LPG can lead to serious appliance malfunction and can cause safety devices to fail.

Members of the public who refill LPG cylinders using Autogas refuelling equipment not only create a serious risk to their own safety and the safety of others, but are also contravening UK Health and Safety Regulations, Weights and Measures Regulations and Consumer Safety legislation. These Regulations impose important legal duties on the site operator to ensure the safety of both their employees and members of the public. In the event of an accident as a result of this type of activity, the site operator could be liable to prosecution. Calor is therefore urging Autogas refuelling site operators to be vigilant and take appropriate action to prevent the unlawful and potentially dangerous re-filling cylinders in this manner.

Dr Terry Ritter, Calor’s Head of Health and Safety said “The public might think it is an easy and convenient way to top up a cylinder, but they are actually putting themselves and others at risk of serious injury or even death. Calor has taken successful court action against individuals for unauthorised filling and will continue to do so.”

Reading the above, you may well be in breach of "UK Health and Safety Regulations, Weights and Measures Regulations and Consumer Safety legislation".

I personaly would not use one, the 'risks' are too high.

Comments like that don't become you Dave. This is, after all, supposed to be a *FUN* site, and not Dr Shiftzz's personal Daily Blag column.
If, by my introducing a lighter air into an otherwise drab and boring monologue, you consider those remarks to be 'flippant', then great, because that's what they are intended to be, and object achieved. It's nice to see you took the time off to notice. :mask::mask:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Comments like that don't become you Dave. This is, after all, supposed to be a *FUN* site, and not Dr Shiftzz's personal Daily Blag column.
If, by my introducing a lighter air into an otherwise drab and boring monologue, you consider those remarks to be 'flippant', then great, because that's what they are intended to be, and object achieved. It's nice to see you took the time off to notice. :mask::mask:

That's fine in the U shaped lounge, but, in this case someone is asking a serious question, which if the F up could cost lives.

Yes, its FUN, but not every thread, I dread the day that someone looks back at some of these techie threads and reads how were were not serious. And we all made a mistake.. Thee have been instances where the wrong info was posted on here and that could have endangered someones life.

I try and keep my 'silly stuff to the U shaped lounge', rightly or wrongly....

No offence meant..:lips:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
That's fine in the U shaped lounge, but, in this case someone is asking a serious question, which if the F up could cost lives.

Yes, its FUN, but not every thread, I dread the day that someone looks back at some of these techie threads and reads how were were not serious. And we all made a mistake.. Thee have been instances where the wrong info was posted on here and that could have endangered someones life.

I try and keep my 'silly stuff to the U shaped lounge', rightly or wrongly....

No offence meant..:lips:

Thank you, and of coarse, non taken :inlove::inlove:

However, the odd injection of a 'funny' dosent hurt occasionally. I try very hard to make serious stuff light-hearted, without being stupid, whatever room it's posted (in the eyes of the beholder that, I realise), because it does help easy reading, and also removes any indication of malice, (which as you know, can always be present in the written word, if read incorrectly). :giggler::giggler:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back