Are the CCC having a laugh with Wifi (1 Viewer)

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Just read this on another forum.

Press release:

The Camping and Caravanning Club has launched a new, value-for-money
Wi-Fi pricing structure ahead of the 2010 season.

In partnership with Wicoms Ltd, The Club is now able to offer wireless
broadband on the majority of its Club Sites.

But, after listening to member feedback about price and usage, and
having since negotiated a new deal with Wicoms, two simple tariffs have
been introduced.

A 12GB Membership Access Voucher, costing £42, offers 12GB data
allowance whenever you choose across the Site network (96 Sites), within
a 12-month period after first log-in.

That should give users the ability to send 1,000 emails or surf the
internet for 100 hours every month.

Alternatively campers can buy a One Hour Metered Access Voucher for just
£5. This offers complete flexibility in that the user can log on and off
for up to one month for a total online time of 60 minutes (each session
is rounded up to five minutes).

Marketing & Communications Director Matthew Eastlake said: “Having
listened to our members, the new passes represent a much improved and
simplified offering.

“We always want to make the experience of staying on a Club Site a
positive one and we are continually looking for ways to develop our
on-site offerings.

“Hopefully, this new price package will help enhance that customer
experience and amplify our Club Sites as must-go places to camp.”

Wi-Fi passes can be purchased via the Contact Centre when making a
booking or on Site itself and will be available for the start of the season.

RichardnGill

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
The 12 month deal is not too bad?

We have an Orange and a T Mobile dongle and can not always get a signal, so the WiFi could be handy for people that use CC&C sites a fair bit.

Might have to keep an eye on the kids though with only 12MB for 12 months, on our dongel we can use 3 each month easy enough.

Rich...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The 12 month deal is not too bad?

We have an Orange and a T Mobile dongle and can not always get a signal, so the WiFi could be handy for people that use CC&C sites a fair bit.

Might have to keep an eye on the kids though with only 12MB for 12 months, on our dongel we can use 3 each month easy enough.

Rich...

Jeez...i get 15mb every MONTH (£15) with T mobile dongle:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
£5 per hour ... :Eeek:

I hate saying it, but this is a rip off .. anyone who pays this is stark raving bonkers, but while there are willing mugs about the rip off merchants will thrive

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

I hate saying it, but this is a rip off .. anyone who pays this is stark raving bonkers, but while there are willing mugs about the rip off merchants will thrive

So there we were near Venice, pouring down, I gladly paid €5 to get on line and get weather forecasts. Waste of time, it was crap everywhere. Fingers crossed for this year.

wireman

Free Member
Dec 18, 2007
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hmmmmm... a lot will depend on the backhaul bandwidth but I would bet that its 24mb aDSL at best and with wi-fi I bet its restricted to 11b at best as well so it aint gonna be fast and through a proxy that will restrict bandwidth even more. So you may take a while to get that 1mb over a month.

Yup, its a rip off.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that

Well said Jim, the more these ripoffs are highlighted the less funster's will get robbed. I think we should have some kind of "ripoff" file so that members can do a search on companys who do the ripping off

Doug...

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
So there we were near Venice, pouring down, I gladly paid €5 to get on line and get weather forecasts. Waste of time, it was crap everywhere. Fingers crossed for this year.

I have an Italian friend who done La-Duquesa to Venice in 3 days. Get yourself into the SUN.

Doug...

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
These people are stupid. Make it free and it will attract punters. Its not expenive to install wifi unless you start putting loads of repeater stations all over the site but even then its not going to break the bank.

The sooner these site owners start giving us free wifi then the more customers they will get. Except I wont be one of them as I will be wild camping 2 miles away for free using my directional hi gain antenna to freeload off their now free and unsecure signal!

Cheers
BD

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
These people are stupid. Make it free and it will attract punters. Its not expenive to install wifi unless you start putting loads of repeater stations all over the site but even then its not going to break the bank.

The sooner these site owners start giving us free wifi then the more customers they will get. Except I wont be one of them as I will be wild camping 2 miles away for free using my directional hi gain antenna to freeload off their now free and unsecure signal!

Cheers
BD

believe me, it may be free but it wont be unsecured.

password required from reception when you book in. :Angry:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I have an Italian friend who done La-Duquesa to Venice in 3 days. Get yourself into the SUN.

Doug...

This was 2008. We had never been to Spain in the MH. Last time was by bike and two things got to us - eating times and the language.

2009 en route to Morocco it was much better. Eat when we wanted and language less of a problem. In fact we really enjoyed Torre del Mar. With it's miles long, bike friendly promenade we had great fun. Even met a Funster there.

2010 Back to Italy, I have no idea why, but we fell for the place first visit. Great pity about the weather in 2008, but part of the problem could be me, not a lot of patience, if I'd ignored the forecasts and sat it out we made have had a good time. Well, we are fixed, glued down for ten days this time.

bevo

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
north west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
wi fi

stayed on canterbury before coming over they wanted £4 for an hour (expensive)
my home internet costs £11 for the month unlimited downloads and 10 meg speed.
camp site in spain free wi-fi.
watching tv on puter great

johngee

Free Member
Aug 19, 2009
Hampshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since July 2009
“Hopefully, this new price package will help enhance that customer
experience and amplify our Club Sites as must-go places to camp.”

I hope to use Club Sites, but I won't be using the wifi. If I encounter anyone talking about 'amplifying sites' or 'must-go' places, I'll probably self harm.

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Any of the sites I have been on the coverage is absolutely terrible, no way worth any payment. One of the worst - Dunbar - possibly one of the newest sites and coverage was virtually non-existant
:Doh:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi its not a rip-off, prices are upfront, if you don't like it, don't pay, and there are other, and probably better alternatives on most sites, 3G coverage in the UK is good, and GPS almost universal.

Olley

RichardnGill

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We have stopped on one or two CL's that had free Wifi

If they can do and campsites over the sea can surely the big two clubs can?

Rich...

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi its not a rip-off, prices are upfront, if you don't like it, don't pay, and there are other, and probably better alternatives on most sites, 3G coverage in the UK is good, and GPS almost universal.

Olley

Sorry the disagree, in our experience 3G coverage is diabolical, we carry a range of dongles, Orange, TMobile,3G and a tethered IPhone.
Most of the dongles are on old packages and cost very little and the IPhone is set up by other means:winky:
If not for that would not bother.
Mickie Dees and the IPhone for us and the hash browns aren't to bad. :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi its not a rip-off, prices are upfront, if you don't like it, don't pay,

Olley

Sorry Olley, but I disagree...

A ripoff is a bad deal, or being asked to pay way over the odds for a service,

Yes, you have the choice not to pay, but that doesn't change the the fact that what is on offer is way over priced. ..

As already said, many sites do offer free Wifi, and use that as a way to attract business, the clubs see it as a way to make more money.

jim

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
I agree Jim.....It is a total rip off.

Campers on my CL are welcome to use our WiFi. Could charge, but wouldn't dream of it. Just the same in the B&B. Hopefully helps to bring customers in.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
That is one good thing about 02 dongles, you can top them up once every three months or so before they drop off, and if you go to 'Cloud' zones, it is free! Which is just as well - as quite a few site in the middle of nowhere have awful reception!

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
If you use Club sites a lot then £42 for a year doesn't sound too bad.

Stayed at a Travelodge for a night last week. My friend had to pay £10 for 24 hours (not that she could have 24 hours as we were kicked out by 12 noon next day). I used my dongle - spent about 50p on it.

duetto owner

Free Member
May 7, 2009
north surrey
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
in first year
does sound a rip off compared to a dongle, why do they not do a deal with a mobile dongle operator.

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
CCC WiFi

Hi

The problem with campsites is, by there very nature, they may be in rural locations where mobile phone/dongle signal is weak. For example, my THREE dongle works well at the CCC Teversal, Conkers, Kingsbury, Canterbury, Leek and Boroughbridge. At Oswestry site, Blackmore and Slingsby there is no signal at all, so I use a T Mobile SIM in an unlocked dongle. I also have a Vodafone SIM too.

All I can say re the pricing of CCC WiFi is basically, the members of the CLUB, must write to state their concerns. There is little point moaning and taking no action. How many of the above posters are CCC members?

The 12 MB is not a lot. I use about 5MB per month and this costs just £7.50 with THREE.

Russell

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Stayed on a CL in remotest Lincolnshire. The owner made a one-off charge of £3.00 whether you stayed for one day or one month. The pitches were at least 50 yards from the house and a good WiFi signal.

If an enterprising CL owner can do it why not one of our clubs(?). Seems that the C&CC is getting more and more greedy. Or maybe they are having trouble balancing the books.

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Trouble is they may be (I hope at that price ) doing it the expensive way with repeaters around the site.

In a recent trip to Spain sites varied in price from free, to 60 cents per day, to 4 euros per hour. Sometimes the cheaper ones meant you had to sit in or near the office - or the bar! - but for free this is quite acceptable.

It can cost the site next to nothing to get the basic facilities, I think they should do this, provide free or very cheap basic WIFI, and this will get masive support.

I for one will not be paying £5 for an hour, which like others I think is a rip off. At this price I prefer to use the email on my mobile which is much cheaper.

wkdtroll

Free Member
Jul 29, 2008
North Wales
Funster No
MH
VW T5 Conversion
Exp
7 years
Anywhere that actually charges for WiFi is ripping you off.

France used to be the worst place for this though now most cafes will let you use WiFi if you buy a drink there. Fair enough.

Spain is mostly free as all restaurants/bars tend to use wireless for their till systems, hence having to sit by the bar to access (worse places I suppose!!)

Portugal is pretty much like Spain.

Can't believe CCC is exploiting members in this way!!:Doh:

andycotterell

Free Member
Apr 13, 2009
Europe-wide
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
It seems that most of these sites and the C&CC outsource the provision if the wifi service to third-party companies who normally seek to maximise their profits by fitting obsolete components with insufficient capacity. They all get a lot of complaints (because when you pay 3 to 5 Euros an hour you feel you have a right to some bandwidth) but they seem to reason that a steady throughput of temporary punters will keep the money coming in. The site management and staff always seem to regret deploying this sort of system because they end up having to deal with all the complaints while the third-party provider usually remains unreachable.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back