Are SMC Newark bad or am I being unreasonable?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Boomkat, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Boomkat

Boomkat Read Only Funster

I'm brand new to the motorhome scene so my partner and I went to the NEC show last year - AMAZING! We were hooked. We saw an amzing Pilote that exceeded all our expectations. The stand was the SMC Newark stand and having spoken to the salesman (who was really helpful), we decided to order our Pilote there and then. We were told that we could expect delivery in January. Having heard absolutely nothing since the show, I rang them in January and they said that actually it would be early March - harrumph. Having heard nothing again, in early March I was told mid March for delivery to the UK and a week or so after I could collect. By mid-March I had not heard anything so rang again and was told some time in the next couple of days. I rang again and was told they have one but they dont know if its mine. I rang again and I'm still waiting a call back. I have booked onto a site for the BH weekend with friends, which I'm guessing means I'm going to have to cancel. The staff have on the whole been really nice and friendly, but utterly inefactual. I have had my expectations so fundamentally mismanaged that I don't know whether this is normal for them / the industry or what! :cry: or :mad: If this is how they are pre-sale, then I'm really worried about what happens post sale. HELP!

2. TheDeckKing

TheDeckKing Read Only Funster

Ask for a full refund. See what reaction that gets!

3. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Industry norm, better get used to it.

4. Boomkat

Honestly - I'm so annoyed with it all. I would ask for a refund, but I really want the mh! Grrrrrrrr.

5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Then get a refund on the grounds of a broken verbal contract, taking then to the county court if necessary, and go elsewhere.

If more buyers would take this stand the quicker the industry would change.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

It really takes the shine off what should be a wonderful experience.

Had the same with a new car and have never bought new since - unless it is there on the forecourt waiting to be driven away.

Sorry to hear of your experience though.

• Like Like x 1
  7. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

No of course you're not being unreasonable, whether it's "industry norm" or not.
    Fingers crossed for you that the one they've got in is yours. I wouldn't wait for them to ring back - get on to them every 15 minutes, that's enough time for them to work it out. Tell them that if it's not, you want a [free] courtesy vehicle for the time you've booked away. It may work, it may not. Depends on what you had in writing, or if you told them you needed it for BH (why would you, that long ago???)
    Here's hoping!

8. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I am not overly surprised, but I must say had I been you I would have been on their case a lot more after they let me down once

Start making more of a nuisance of yourself, they will always deal with the loudest first :)

welcome to the forum by the way, shame to start with a moan, but that is exactly what I did, it worked out for us (y)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  9. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I don't think you are being unreasonable .. but the delay in delivery from Pilote can't really be laid at the door SMC...

where they are at fault is not keeping you fully informed..

10. Boomkat

I just rang them back and they have now said they dont know whether it has even been built yet. And i had to ASK for an apology!!! It's like dealing with the local council over a blocked drain!

11. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

I can only speak from personal experience. I purchased my van from them 2 years ago and they have always been very helpful indeed. It sounds like a lack of communication to me.

Good luck anyway and try to see past this............ a whole new world of adventures await you :)

12. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Yes it is Jim.... They are the seller's, not the factory.

There should have been a confirmed delivery date in the contract and they can't deliver on time, or anywhere near it.
    Agreed they have been let down by the factory, or so they will have you believe, but that is not the buyers problem.

If they can make a sale by distorting the true delivery date, they will.

13. Yorick

Yorick Funster

The only sure way is to nuke them from outer space :)

• Like Like x 5
  14. Popeye

Popeye Funster

I have had dealings with SMC and found them to be honorable people. If you feel you are not getting the attention you deserve demand to speak with Alistair who is the sales Director I believe and let him know of your frustrations, he will move mountains to satisfy a customer.

• Like Like x 3
  15. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

A lot of assumptions here John.. you are accusing SMC of using sharp sales practice.. .. where is the proof ?

As I said.. on what we know of the facts, the only thing SMC are guilty of is poor communication with the buyer..

16. hilldweller

Past posts say you would not get one.

17. Boomkat

Good advice - thanks to you all. I have and can have no issue with Pilote as I am not buying it from them. In the same way as when my new car was delayed by several weeks, I was not annoyed with BMW when the dealer called me immediately and then apologised profusely and reset my expectations. I have an issue with the fact that my expectations have not been managed by SMC. I respect the fact that they cant magic one up out of thin air, but they could at least be more honest. If they kept in touch and said that they did not know, that would be a much better position than me feeling like I'm harassing them about it...

• Like Like x 1
  18. davidbaldam

davidbaldam Funster

Hi and welcome to FUN, sorry that your having problems but you really do need to speak to someone high up and make a nuisance of yourself. I always find that saying "do I have to remind you that I am the customers" works. Hope you get it sorted soon. (y)

• Like Like x 1
  19. hilldweller

I've just had a quoted delivery date for a launch of 27th November subject to availability.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

Probably the third or fourth time I've posted this on an SMC thread but I'm still awaiting a call from them since visiting the showroom after the NEC last October. (n)