Are French Police Around Calais Stopping Speeding Brits? (1 Viewer)

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
A friend said that they heard recently of French Police, falsely accusing Brits of speeding and fining them €90. To make up for the problems they think we are causing with migrants.
Is this one more bit of urban legend?
If it is true I will aim my dash cam at the speedo but somehow the concept leaves a bad taste and I hope it is fiction.

Alan

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Not heard this particular one myself.
It sounds like utter rubbish I have to say. What is true (in my experience) is that the Gendarmes are much more sneaky than their English counterparts, and will hide behind bridges hedgerows etc. completely out of sight. If you speed in France, there is a greater likelihood that you will get caught IMO.
I suspect that the story has come about from some tourists getting the hump that they got caught out, rather than any underhand dealings by the Police.
I've never been stopped in the van, which is not really that surprising, however, we went to the 2002 Le Mans race, I was driving an MR2 at about 60mph on a single track road. Turns out I had missed a 50kph zone, so I long story short, I got stopped and fined. The policeman was perfectly charming, I was in the wrong, end of story.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
There was a documentary on TV a while back and they interviewed some French Police about speeding in France. They said that they felt sorry for the british motorist with a powerful car and that French roads were about the only place they could let it pick its skirts up and RUN!!,but,some were getting together and doing Road/Timed races to towns in France.The spokesman said,(Words to the effect) We have a computor watch on ferries/tunnel; and can pick up a high number of powerfull sportscars all traveling in the same time space,Quote:" We can have the information and be in places of interception,before the Ferry/Train arrives"
Years ago,French motorist would "Flash" their headlights if there was a camera in the area you were heading,now,they are everywhere. Think about it,why would they have to,"Make up" speeding offences,a lot of drivers are just settling in to driving on the right and the speedo is about the last thing they think about.
Tea Bag

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back