Are French Campsites open in February?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by redhotrods, Feb 7, 2011.

1. redhotrods

redhotrods Read Only Funster

I'm travelling to the South of France, Cote d'azur region next week and can't find much info on campsite opening periods. From what I can gather....most sites dont open until March. Am I destined to be at an 'Aire de Service' every night?

As you can probably tell, I'm a Motorhome Virgin

2. ian jenner

ian jenner Read Only Funster

jig

in our experience its pot luck,if near tourist features open all year you are ok.
    we prefer to use aires,so good in france. safe journey

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

very unlikely you will find any......use the aire's, but not the toll roads/motorway ones.

they CAN be dangerous.

4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

As said by pappajohn.. don't use aires on Autoroutes ..

Don't confuse Aire de service with Aire de camping car

The former are Aires on Autoroutes and open to all .. trucks, cars etc and have a bad reputation for crime.

The later are only for motorhomes.. clearly signed with the graphic of a motorhome.. pick one off the Autoroute in or near a small village :thumb:

5. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

6. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

Hi Redhotrod!

It is a bit difficult to help you as you don't give an idea of your way to the south .The best to do would be to write down the main towns through you want to go then enter in google search "syndicat d'initiative de Montpellier" for example . pick up the address and write a letter to them saying

Madame, monsieur,

Pourriez-vous me faire parvenir le listing complet des campings de votre région. Si toutefois cela vous est possible , pourriez-vous surligner ceux qui sont ouverts à partir du mois de Février.

En vous remerciant d'avance de votre aide,
    Je vous prie d'agréer, madame , monsieur, l'expression de ma reconnaissance;

M. Redhotrod:Wink:

You have time enough to have an answer and receive the list of all the campsites

Hope it helps

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  7. pappajohn

just one point Frankie....does redhotrod speak/read/understand french ?

its one thing writing the letter as you have written it but if you dont understand the reply letter :Doh:.....:Laughing:

perhaps.....si possible, répondez svp en anglais.

8. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

Sure Papa, i'll answer in english :BigGrin:

I just ask for the leaflet so most of the writting , if only in french , gives the phone number , prices sometimes, number of stars, and opening time. So quite easy to understand. But if any prob , of course , i'll translate. If there is any typed answer it will just be some kind of polite reply such as "as you asked in your letter, here is the list of the campsites of the area. Wishing you happy holidays on our territory .... blablabla; So nothing really important, main thing is all the campsites , even the newest will be there.

Does it answer your question?:Wink::Smile:

Amicalement

Frankie:BigGrin::BigGrin:

9. pappajohn

certainly Frankie.

i suppose it's not too difficult to work out dates and times in any language.

the last time i emailed a french site, in english of course because my french stopped when i left school :Blush:, i got a long email back...in french.

i couldnt make any sense of it as it was littered with dates, but not in any kind of order.

i must say though, many french sites did reply in english which is a great help but , once again, lazy english cant be bothered to learn a foriegn language....or maybe just too old :Rofl1:

10. JJ

JJ Funster

For what it is worth (and I never recommend anyone to do what I do) I have stopped in a variety of service areas in France both on the peages and on the free roads (parking with the trucks) in a variety of different vans for twenty years or more and I have never ever, ever had any trouble of any kind.

I wonder... Do bad experiences get more than their fair share of publicity and therefore paint a biased, negative picture?

JJ
    :thumb:

11. pappajohn

Oh Oh !!!! you,ve dont it now JJ.

you'll be stood in the aire in your shreddies while some scroats away with your van next time. :RollEyes:

12. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Does it matter JJ ?

statistically you are at a higher risk of crime on an Autoroute aire than on a Camping car aire in a village, so why increase the risk. ?

ask Geo about being being burgled on an Autoroute service aire ..

13. Parcverger

Parcverger Funster - Campsite Owner

Our thanks to bobandjane, and yes, Parc Verger (www.parcverger.com) is open all year (and there's a discount for Funsters:thumb:). There are other sites open, of course, so if for example you want to travel south in relatively easy stages, there is a site between Dreux and Chartres, then on to us, then on to one near Perpignan, and then into Spain. This avoids the higher roads through the Central Massif, which can be affected by snow and ice, and also the coast road, where most sites are indeed closed at this time of year. The A20 is free for much of the way, and there are good alternative roads if you want to avoid tolls.

Wherever you go, enjoy your travel - France is a beautiful country. Weather today - sunny and warm! We were out installing a new wifi aerial yesterday and it was t-shirt weather:BigGrin:.

Cheers

Bob

14. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

I can reccomend a trip down to Parc Vergrer and its probably on your way, Bob will give you al the help you need and its a very friendly little commune to spend a few days.:thumb:

15. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

Just to pick up on what what Bob and Jane said about the water....yes they are correct most have the water turned off.....but don't let that worry you, all the supermarkets sell water and it is very cheap in some supermarkets.......Lidl & Aldi it is about from 0.10 to 0.20 centimes for a 1.5 ltr bottle of standard drinking water:BigGrin:......they sell them in large packs of 6 or 10 the bigger the plastic bottle you buy the cheaper the water...some may be on special offer......The bigger super markets and the designer water ****** well they are a lot more euros:Doh:
    if you wanted you could walk out with two trolleys full......no you won't need that many just joking if you are only travelling through best keep some in the boot.....or just fill up at Calais port - aire....no need to stop over night..its free....we was up there a week ago and I saw a motorhome filling up....so I hope it is still on ....it will be close to you and your route it is where the ferries come in....unless you land at Dunkerque....:thumb::France::reel::sin:

Mel:thumb:

16. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

I wonder... Do bad experiences get more than their fair share of publicity and therefore paint a biased, negative picture?

JJ :thumb:[/QUOTE]

Yes I believe they do, we are certainly worried about things like that and have put off going over there for years but hope to take the plunge end of march and hopefully put our worries to rest???:Wink:

17. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

Yes I believe they do, we are certainly worried about things like that and have put off going over there for years but hope to take the plunge end of march and hopefully put our worries to rest???:Wink:[/QUOTE]
    trish-n-tez

If you are talking about France........I think it the most Motorhome friendly in Europe and the most geared up European country for Motorhomes......
    its lovely..you will love it:thumb::BigGrin:

Mel

18. david price

david price Read Only Funster

Yes I believe they do, we are certainly worried about things like that and have put off going over there for years but hope to take the plunge end of march and hopefully put our worries to rest???:Wink:[/QUOTE]

I have done the same as jj but only for five years,never had a problem.Crime can happen anywhere.I generally go on a gut feeling about where i stop for the night.
    My daughter was 12 when we first started touring in a motorhome abroad and i would never knowingly put my family in danger.Yes the risk may be slightly higher but in my opinion this is because the amount of vehicles useing autoroutes etc is a lot higher therefore crimerate would appear higher.
    Crime happens on nice small village aires as well.Just keep your wits about you and i am sure all will be well.Travelling in europe in a motorhome is alot different to flying out there and it would be a shame to miss out for fear of something that could happen here just as well as there.
    Explore and enjoy.
    Dave

19. JJ

JJ Funster

Interesting Jim but we all know that statistics can be made to "prove" anything... where did your figures come from?

...and if my decades of incident free, overnight parking on motorway and major road service stations in France don't prove anything (and they don't) then neither should any other Funster's isolated experience(s).

Of course everyone must run their lives (and motorhomes) as he or she chooses but I feel urged to report that I have grown tired and fed up with the rumours, gossip, unfounded fears and exaggerations that circulate amongst the motorhome community...

While I am in the middle of this rant may I give an example (which of course doesn't prove anything)

Last year motorhomers "off site" camping on the dockside at Vila Real in the Eastern Algarve were asked to move by the GNR (National Police).

The news went around like wild fire...

"Vila Real is finished as a place to park..."

"Police are fining you €60 if you park there..."

"don't park at Vila Real you get arrested" and so on...

What actually happened is the GNR asked a few motorhomes to move for the afternoon to allow the council to mow the piece of grass they were on as next weekend there was to be a one day event taking place there.

When others saw this they all jumped in their vans and pulled out and went off and spread the mis-information...

Proves nothing of course except you can "off site" park at Vila Real as before although I find it a bit over populated for me...

Sorry for this missive... I can't stop myself from getting carried away...

... I try ever so hard not to... honest guv...

JJ:Blush:

of course the lack of language skills amongst many of us doesn't help...

"does it matter?" Jim asks... well to me it does... "Why increase the risk?" Jim asks... What risk I ask...

Life with no risk? What life is that? (thats me asking that one...)

(stop JJ, just stop...)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  20. gozomike

gozomike Funster Life Member Life Member

Hi
    By looking at the ACSI web site http://www.eurocampings.co.uk/en/europe/ you can find some sites which are open all year but when I just tried it I had to look at each site in turn. It’s much easier to get their Disc and then you can enter the dates & area you are interested in and the open sites will appear. A search on my 2010 disc shows quite a few open when applying a filter for Feb. Trouble may be getting the new 2011 disc in time. http://www.vicariousbooks.co.uk/ is where to try.