Paddyfrog

Free Member
Mar 25, 2017
France
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
We were thinking of personalising our new for us, but second-hand, MH. My husband has a cutting plotter (for his work, but he is very artistic) so we could remove the boring old pink and lilac swirls on the side of the Challenger, and create something much more interesting to look at.
Has anyone done this? Would it be stupid to be so instantly recognisable? I'm not talking about adding a whole rainforest with masses of parakeets, just something discreet but of personal importance to us. Or is being instantly recognisable/identifiable a bad idea? What about resale later?
Thank you for your feedback and experience.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
For a simple sounding question, it opens a whole can of worms. If they are good and well done they could add to the vans worth and saleability ... conversely ... not. ;)

Personally though I think it comes down to whether you are a 'live for today' sort of a person, or a save it for best/never sort. If the decals would make you smile when you saw them that's all that would really matter to me. :)

Upvote 0

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Not sure about how resilient they are to washing etc and logevity, but I love the idea of personalising your MH. If I had that equipment, I would(y);) stand out from the crowd. Why not:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
You will find that when you remove the old decals it will leave a ghost like impression of the old design. You will need to take this into consideration when designing the new ones.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
IMG_0865.JPG
When our boring Autocruise ones started to look sad we removed them using a hairdryer and I got busy with some bought stickers. We love the result and it makes us smile. We have had some very positive comments and they have been washed over with no problems. They might not be to everyone's taste but are easily removable if/ when we decide to sell.

So enjoy.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just be aware that it could affect the resale value if it's not 'original' so make sure you take that into consideration.

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2016
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2003
I do vinyl signs for a living, when the DVLA wanted self builds to "look" like a motor caravan from the outside I thought what better way than to actually call it so. Most good quality vinyl has a 5-7 year lifespan but if using printed vinyl then it needs to be laminated otherwise the inks will fade with sunlight.

Attachments

• DSC_1128.JPG
    DSC_1128.JPG
    199.2 KB · Views: 73
Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I think that's very well done @keades it also makes me wonder if it's a theft deterrent, because it's much harder to hide that than to swap the plates (y):D
Sure is, I wouldnt steal it :rolleyes:
It reminds me of Grannies old hand embroiderd Doylies:Eeek:
for the record it made me smile too

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You will find that when you remove the old decals it will leave a ghost like impression of the old design. You will need to take this into consideration when designing the new ones.

Just be aware that it could affect the resale value if it's not 'original' so make sure you take that into consideration.

Both these comment need serious consideration, desireability as well as value, the ghost effect is by far worse than you'd imagine even after some serious buffing and polishing
it will come back with a vengeance, so if you cant fully cover the old design re think your plans

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Stopped at the Gruissan aire recently I saw this huge German bus-like MH with a custom made decal covering the entire rear end. It was a photo of the back of the car he'd got stowed in his boot like Thunderbird 2. Talk about showing off.

Only issue I can see is that the body panels fade differently so any decals will leave traces after removal, and having to remove loads may put off buyers when you sell, otherwise go for it.

Our new vehicle has got swanky green motor racing themed graphics on the side (God knows why) including what looks like air intake grilles. I want to modify them so there are pairs of demonic looking eyes peering out, and maybe the odd talon or two poking through as if something horrible is imprisoned within. Probably not far off the truth actually :)

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
View attachment 158749 When our boring Autocruise ones started to look sad we removed them using a hairdryer and I got busy with some bought stickers. We love the result and it makes us smile. We have had some very positive comments and they have been washed over with no problems. They might not be to everyone's taste but are easily removable if/ when we decide to sell.

So enjoy.
I like that, looks good...(y)

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
partly it depends on the age of the van and how long you intend to keep it i wouldnt decorate a year old n&b that i would be selling in 2 years but i might on a ten year old eldis that i cant see myself selling anytime soon

Upvote 0

stuurman

Free Member
Jul 26, 2008
in my van all over Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
as of may 28, 2009, fulltimer
The back of my Hymer and the artist who made the decal (with his daughter). Photo taken in 2011 in Bonterra Park. I just love it. Go for it.

Attachments

• 2011-12-17 14.20.34.jpg
    2011-12-17 14.20.34.jpg
    384.8 KB · Views: 106
Upvote 0
Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
We always put decals on, usually using photo's of our dogs, on the motorhome, van and trailer, never found they have spoilt the paintwork when removed and I do think there is a good chance that thieves by choice would steal a bog standard vehicle first.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

Paddyfrog

Free Member
Mar 25, 2017
France
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Well thank you all for that information! I think you have covered every angle.
My husband is quite the professional as he makes stone signs for a living, stone carver, and thus has access to wonderful, light-resistent vinyls.
So a few ideas buzz about. The MH is from 2001, so we will take care that what we put on is acceptable to a new owner. I would like something relaxing, like pink flamingoes standing in a cool pool with frogs and bullrushes (à la Camarague), or tropical, so parakeets, greenery etc. Will have fun working on the options. And of course a lizard here and there, because that is our symbol, as our garden is full of them! Thanks for those who took time to post their beautiful artwork, you inspired me. Lovely.

Upvote 0
Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Because the decals affectively act as a sun block you will notice a difference in the colour of the underlying paintwork.

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I do vinyl signs for a living, when the DVLA wanted self builds to "look" like a motor caravan from the outside I thought what better way than to actually call it so. Most good quality vinyl has a 5-7 year lifespan but if using printed vinyl then it needs to be laminated otherwise the inks will fade with sunlight.

pm sent

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back