Are all Spanish roads new?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by rosalan, Oct 25, 2015.

1. rosalan

rosalan Funster

Unfortunately when I bought our Tom Tom about three years ago, the lifetime updates was less fashionable, nevertheless we were surprised to find that almost every Spanish city we visited had what amounted to a totally new road system. From the road junctions near San Sebastion, Bilbao and almost every town and motorway we encountered. TomTom knew none of them and we were frequently driving across a blank screen, so we now have a new Garmin nuvi 2669. Has anyone had problems like this with their Garmin?

2. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Not to my knowledge.:LOL: Apart from that I cannot help.

3. Mags52

Mags52 Funster

Yes there are loads of new road layouts, especially in the cities. We've had a couple of times when our satnav thinks we're in a field.

• Like Like x 1
  4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

It may not have the latest maps.. have you installed Garmin Express and updated ?

version 2016.20 is the latest..

• Like Like x 1
  5. rosalan

rosalan Funster

Yes thank you Jim but I thought that my old TomTom was reasonably up to date and assume that theSat-Nav systems were being beaten by the speed of road building. Some of the 'unknown' roads were built before I bought my previous Sat Nav I believe.
    Thanks also to Mags52 for reassuring me that I was not alone.
    Alan

6. wanderer

wanderer Funster

My Tom Toms is 7 years old and I update every couple of years and have had no problems in Spain and we go every year for six months.

7. PeteH

PeteH Funster

Yes, ALL Built with MY taxes. BUT my street needs resurfacing, and the A15 needs dualling. No E_U Money There though!!!

Pete

• Like Like x 5
  8. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

Garmin Map updates are available monthly. I only bother to update mine twice a year, before going away for the winter and when I come back to the UK, unless I feel inclined at some other time.

It can take hours to update so I use our daughters fibre broadband to do the job, as I only run Mobile Internet and that just crawls. I always check for system updates at the same time.

9. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I went to Spain earlier this year with the latest Garmin maps installed. There was a major dual carriageway outside A Corruña it knew nothing about! I don't think any maps are ever totally up to date.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Zepp

Zepp Funster

Our old tomtom is 7 years old never updated it ( refused I could of bought new one for the cost ) At one point we drove for about 20K off road in Spain and yes lots of new roads build in Spain that never showed up on sat nav.

Have a new unit this year so hope it has new roads on it :D

• Like Like x 1
  11. PeteH

PeteH Funster

The vast majority of mapping appears to originate from a Dutch Company. Used to be Navtec NV?. now I think its Telle Atlas N-V?. Even Auto route for Microsoft!. who licence the mapping from the various National map making Services! etc:

Useless information I know?

BTW I have just had updates "New" mapping? from Tom Tom. For which I do not remember Paying! .

Shhhhh!

Pete

12. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

Amazing amount of road building going on in Spain at present every where we've been

13. greygit

greygit Read Only Funster

Yes, there are a lot of new roads everywhere and our old sat nav couldn’t cope last year so we have forked out for a new Tomtom with free map updates for this winter......fingers crossed.

14. busby

busby Funster

Blame our Government not The Spanish...BUSBY.

• Like Like x 2
  15. sciac2001

sciac2001 Funster

Our Tom-tom has been almost 100% accurate for the last 3 years that we have toured the country. (Obviously with updating as and when!)

16. sciac2001

sciac2001 Funster

True. I imagine that they are spending all of the road-improvisation grants from the EU so that they qualify for next year's allocation. To be honest, I am now taking full advantage of this as we tend to travel around Spain for 7 or so months of the year. I sympathise with others who do not and feel agrieved as I used to when in UK.
    As also oreviously noted, one cannot blame the Spaniards. If the offer is on the table why not take it?

• Like Like x 1
  17. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

& very nice they are too !(y):) You have to apply if you want EU grants & the UK authorities don't as , although it would normally be granted , due to the UK's
    " rebate" the % of which the grant would be reduced & have to be supplied by the UK government. Who generally won't. So no one bothers to apply.:(

Exactly.

You don't " qualify" ,you have to apply. If you don't apply , you don't get anything. Can't see that Spain would be getting too much at the moment as it has changed to being a net payer & all the new "potless" EU states are getting all the grants. :LOL:

• Like Like x 2
  18. maxine and jo

maxine and jo Read Only Funster

Unlike other country when they get in to a financial hole they stop dining ,Spain take a different view ,they build more capital projects ,so the people who dug the hole in the first place can make more money!!!:D

• Like Like x 1
  19. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

Although we've been to Spain on many occasions, last year was the first time we'd driven right across the country from north to south. We were amazed by all the new roads and motorways, not to mention high-speed rail infrastructure.

And apart from along the Costas, the toll motorways were virtually empty (and relatively cheap).

We carry two old Tom-Toms when we're abroad; both with out of date maps - but seemed to manage OK. As others have said, the older ones are expensive to update.

And going off slightly at a tangent - why when you buy a brand new sat-nav is the first thing you're instructed to do - 'plug it into your computer and update the maps' :( Why? It appears they're not 'fit for purpose' when sold. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  20. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Did you see a train ?:( I saw one when in Barcelona in 2011(y) but haven't managed to spot one since.:cry: Place I stopped in France this summer I saw 4 per hour.

Yes the Toll motorways have gone into receivership & had to be rescued by the government.