Ardeche to Ile de Re - any recommendations?

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by magicsurfbus, Apr 3, 2014.

1. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

We're planning to tour between the Ardeche and the Ile de Re over a period of about 8 days fairly soon - we know the La Rochelle and Ile de Re bit very well, and have been in the Dordogne area recently, but would be interested in any recommendations (especially aires) for the roughly rectangular area bounded by Lyons, Orange, Toulouse, and Limoges, and we're particularly into historic and prehistoric sites with good MH or easy bike access.

Thanks in advance.

2. sedge

sedge Funster

The Gouffre de Padirac - WELL worth a visit.

Incroyable ! as they say ........

3. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

Hi Magicsurfbus,
    If you are into canoeing or fancy a small challenge there's a municipal campsite which we stayed at , at Vallon pont d'arc, with a canoe hire company right outside , where you canoe down the ardeche river for half a day and under the arc rock, then they pick you up and bring you back to c/s, or you can canoe all day then again they pick you up ( but that is some distant to canoe). I only did the half day great experience !! care they don't tell you about 2 small lots of white water and 1 quite rough, I took the wrong passage on that one and ended up getting a dunking, but still here to tell the tale.
    campsite is about 800 yards from main town , lovely town / village.

THE CAMPSITE Chauvieux - 40, chemin de la Plage - SALAVAS - 07150 Vallon Pont d'Arc. Phone & Fax: + 33 (0) 4 75 88 05 37 - [​IMG]
    http://translate.google.co.uk/trans.../www.camping-le-chauvieux.com/en/index.php&pr

:sin: Terry:sin:

4. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

The Gorge d'Ardeche is striking, I cycled it a couple of years ago. It was the end of the summer so the water levels were quite low.
    [​IMG]

The famous arch would be impressive to canoodle through.
    [​IMG]

On a similar vein, but a shade outside your target area the Gorge d'Verdon is similar. Canoes and boats can be hired from places at the Lac de Sainte Croix.

The Verdon as it flow into the lake.

[​IMG]

The gorge itself, not for those with no head for heights - like me, especially on a push bike!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Just back in from doing all of the above places and more, and can heartily recommend them, especially in the Spring before the crowds turn up. Will report back at more length in a new thread (including aire details) when time allows, but I just wanted to say thanks to those of you who took the trouble to reply - most helpful.

• Like Like x 1
  6. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

Hi, glad you had good time and a safe trip , can't wait to read your update.
    :sin: Terry:sin:

7. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

Me too!:thumb:

8. Portland

Portland Funster

Hi, If Oradour sur Glane ( not sure on spelling) is near your route its a must. It lies North East of Limoge heading towards Belac. Its a martyred village which has been preserved just as it was left after the massacre by the Germans in June 1944. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1