Arcing contacts on EHU (1 Viewer)

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
Lost in the thread about which end to connect first (page 2), was a mention of contacts arcing together between the EHU lead and the van. This is the likely result of not having switched the main switch off (and also having something that draws quite a bit of current left on) before connecting up. This highlights the reason for switching the main switch off first.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It's a nice idea to trip the main switch but on ours you have to virtually empty the wardrobe to get at it.

We just ensure nothing is plugged in which might draw a heavy current.

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Easy way to find out if the power is on or not, if like me you have no mains switch.
Remove the lead from the EHU socket on the Van.

Wet your fingers and touch the two smaller contacts inside the plug.

If there is a smell of burning, one almighty bang and you end up with an Affro! The power is on! Or should I say WAS on!(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
On some of the EHU posts I have used in France you insert the plug in the post (last) then twist it to get the supply, that should reduce risk (should).

I carry one of those little three led polarity detectors and use that in socket for initial hook up and checking. If the polarity is incorrect I carry two adaptor leads one reversed, plus an adaptor section with the standard French plug which is used at many locations instead of the 3 pin plug arrangement.

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Yes it was me who posted it on page 2 of another thread and here it is again, cut and pasted below:)

"When I first started out with the van, I'd do either and then learnt a lesson from my mistake :(

Met up with a few friends in their motorhomes and 1 tugger (we only acknowledged him after dark :rofl:) and I plugged the lead into the supply and then the motorhome. For whatever reason the posts arced and fused together. Only the tiniest of arcs, but it did the trick :(

I didn't know this had happened until I came to unplug and no amount of tugging, swearing or pulling would release the plug :(

Had to strip the EHU from the side of the van, strip the cable and pins and eventually freed it off. Now I make sure I plug the vehicle end in first, have all the breakers open so that there is no power drawn and then plug into the supply. Only then do I flick the RCD and individual switches to power up the interior :)

Also make sure that the EHU is spotlessly clean inside the cover and I lube it with WD40, before wiping clean :)"

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back