Aquitaine in late July / August (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter deleted-member02
  • Start date
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
We're considering along the coast between Pyla Dune and perhaps as far as Bayonne, travelling the end of July, early August.
Is it likely to be crazy busy and will I need to book sites ?
Ideally I'd part book in advance and part leave the schedule free, giving us a chance to bimble.
What's daytime parking availability like ?
Having experienced tourist/traffic hell on the French Med it's something I'd like to avoid !

Worst case scenario for me is finding a tatty pitch last minute and paying top dollar for the privilege :eek:
Hazard of peak season I guess....

We prefer to be very near beach if possible, cycling and scenic places to visit are a bonus.
Any recommendations, advice or places to avoid ??

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
We're considering along the coast between Pyla Dune and perhaps as far as Bayonne, travelling the end of July, early August.
Ideally I'd part book in advance and part leave the schedule free, giving us a chance to bimble.
Having experienced tourist/traffic hell on the French Med it's something I'd like to avoid !

Worst case scenario for me is finding a tatty pitch last minute and paying top dollar for the privilege :eek:

We prefer to be very near beach if possible, cycling and scenic places to visit are a bonus.
I wouldn't go then, do you have to??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

End of July and Aug,,,,forget it,,,heaving,,BUSBY,,

OP
OP
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Ah bugger - you've all confirmed my fears.

There are clues, municipal sites with 1000 pitches, second rate sites charging exorbitant prices and so on..
Sadly we're tied to school summer holidays, it does look a fantastic destination - in May !

It's a part of the world we haven't visited before.
We often travel along the A20 and figured it might be nice to see the Atlantic coast, seems silly to travel so close and never visit.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Perhaps because it's so cheap all the French will come over here and leave that area deserted. You may be lucky?? If you have to go then because of school hols, then go!! Good luck!

OP
OP
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Perhaps because it's so cheap all the French will come over here and leave that area deserted. You may be lucky?? If you have to go then because of school hols, then go!! Good luck!
:LOL: Hardly likely !
I'm considering doing a week on one site with good cycling and beach access.
http://www.yellohvillage.co.uk/camping/lous_seurrots
http://www.yellohvillage.co.uk/camping/les_grands_pins
Both options Yelloh Village so quite expensive. At least with Yelloh you're guaranteed a degree of quality (speaking from experience) and I should be able to dodge the chaos by staying in one place...

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
It is much quieter inland in France July Aug,,,loads of lovely places,,BUSBY,,

Oct 8, 2016
bognor regis
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano 675G
Exp
10 years
Hmm, yes, that bit of coast is to be avoided at that time of year. Some aires are ok, but in general we avoid coastal France late July and onwards. Forget campsites on the coast - seriously. You won't like it ! We have to go during school holidays and have a great time every year inland.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Most of our working life was spent summer holidaying in July & August, often in West and South West France, and I really don't know what all the blessed fuss is about.

Obviously by comparison with post-retirement trips in Sept and Oct it was busy, but it was never impossible. Book sites if you want to, but aires are still an option if you use common sense, ie aim to use medium-sized or larger aires and try to arrive mid-morning. Virtually all of the seaside towns below the Gironde have decent-sized aires. Biarritz has three, and should not be missed. Lacanau-Ocean has a good surfy vibe, Biscarrosse-Plage is a tacky resort but with impressive beaches to the north of the town. Our favourite beachside aire is at Anglet, but the one at La Barre just up the road is a good alternative. Mimizan-Plage is OK if all you want is beach, beach, and beach - just don't expect much else.

I found the few campsites we used down there to be depressingly British, overpriced and horribly suburban, complete with little privet hedges to peer over. Bidart was a fine example.

End of July in Bayonne is a huge Basque piss up, sorry, cultural festival including loonies being chased around the Place Paul Bert by young bulls and it makes for interesting viewing, provided you can happily ignore the copious examples of public urination to be seen around the streets of this ancient town over the weekend.

OP
OP
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
€40 a night, pretty good for July.
That's the headline figure - a family of four is nearer €70 a night. I can tolerate paying if the site is a genuine winner...

Hmm, yes, that bit of coast is to be avoided at that time of year. Some aires are ok, but in general we avoid coastal France late July and onwards. Forget campsites on the coast - seriously. You won't like it ! We have to go during school holidays and have a great time every year inland.
You are right and we do usually plan to avoid the busy bits. We do have a weakness for sun and sand though...
Love the French Med but try to drive as little as possible, usually pick a site and settle down for a week or two.

The plan so far
Holiday starts at Puy du Fou, we've now booked a few nights at http://www.yellohvillage.co.uk/camping/parc_de_la_cote_sauvage
From there we're undecided, ultimate destination is Costa Dorada so lots of options in between.
Will most likely travel the Pyrenees before heading to the Spanish Med.
Pyrenees has it all - sunshine, scenery, activities, reasonably priced stopovers, cool evenings and never too busy (quiet even?).
It'll nicely balance the tourist hotspots we'll inevitably be drawn too :)

OP
OP
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Most of our working life was spent summer holidaying in July & August, often in West and South West France, and I really don't know what all the blessed fuss is about.

Obviously by comparison with post-retirement trips in Sept and Oct it was busy, but it was never impossible. Book sites if you want to, but aires are still an option if you use common sense, ie aim to use medium-sized aires and try to arrive mid-morning. Virtually all of the seaside towns below the Gironde have decent-sized aires. Biarritz has three, and should not be missed. Lacanau-Ocean has a good surfy vibe, Biscarrosse-Plage is a tacky resort but with impressive beaches to the north of the town. Our favourite beachside aire is at Anglet, but the one at La Barre just up the road is a good alternative.

I found the few campsites we used down there to be depressingly British, overpriced and horribly suburban, complete with little privet hedges to peer over. Bidart was a fine example.

End of July in Bayonne is a huge Basque piss up, sorry, cultural festival including loonies being chased around the Place Paul Bert by young bulls and it makes for interesting viewing, provided you can happily ignore the copious examples of public urination to be seen around the streets of this ancient town over the weekend.

While searching, I noticed some of your previous posts regarding Bayonne, they make good reading. I must confess though, after briefly watching a bullfight, I kind of lost the desire to go....
Appreciate the other recommendations, I'll certainly be investigating further (y)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
While searching, I noticed some of your previous posts regarding Bayonne, they make good reading. I must confess though, after briefly watching a bullfight, I kind of lost the desire to go....
Appreciate the other recommendations, I'll certainly be investigating further (y)

You're welcome - the bull running at Bayonne isn't compulsory viewing, the bulls remain alive throughout, and there are many other events over the weekend including parades, a huge funfair and live music. Best approached on bikes from Anglet or Bayonne along the cycle track by the River Adour, or bus.

Bon voyage :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back